Urbie Green, 1926-2018

duaneiac

On 2/5/2023 at 7:55 PM, Larry Kart said:

All of the albums in that Avid compilation are straight jazz dates, no "easy listening" or "jazz-funk fusion" stuff at all. "The Fox" is said to fall in the latter bin.

MTQtMjQ0My5qcGVn.jpeg

Pulled this from the shelf, inspired by this thread. It's all very nice, but somehow this does not grab my attention as e.g. the Bob Brookmeyer Select.

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Pulled this from the shelf, inspired by this thread. It's all very nice, but somehow this does not grab my attention as e.g. the Bob Brookmeyer Select.

Which I think can easily be explained by the simple notion of "different tastes" or musical preferences (regardless of whether the main instrument is the same). ;)
Happened to everyone at one point or another with this or that artist, I guess ...

Or is it a matter of apples and oranges?

Brookmeyer's prickliness was on a personal, not suffering fools gladly  level; I've also heard that he got pretty prickly in his drinking days with his first wife, singer-songwriter Margo Guryan. He also could be harsh in his judgement of other musicians -- I recall him saying of French Horn player Tom Varner "this guy can't even play even eighth notes." Have never heard that Green was anything but a nice guy. If I could play the trombone like that, I'd be mellow too.