New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

Mosaic sent this email:

February 20, 2019 

Upcoming Release: August 2019 

New Hank Mobley Release?

We are currently determining whether to a release a new Mosaic set The Complete Hank Mobley Blue Note Sessions 1963-71 on 7 CDs.

With the slowing of sales of CDs, we need to be assured that there is enough demand for this set before incurring the costs and commitment to issue this body of work. The Mosaic business model is becoming harder and harder to sustain and therefore we'll need a strong response for preorders (750+) before we are able to proceed.

If you place an advance order for this set, your credit card will not be charged until we create and press the set and ship it to you (however PayPal is immediately deducted from your funds). We strongly suggest that you not combine this advance order with any existing sets.

We expect to make a decision by early March and the set would be available about August, 2019.

We regret any pressure or inconvenience this may cause you in your purchasing decisions, but this is the only way that we can safely proceed. 

Thank you for your support and understanding,

Michael & Scott 

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, back to the pre-order model. Makes perfect sense now.  That seeming commitment to do it was surprising.

I will have to think hard about this, the fact is that many of these I have as vinyl transfers (the LT releases, The Flip) only so that is a point in their favor for good CD versions plus the Mosaic booklet.  I think I will pre-order to help keep the lights on.

13 hours ago, Dmitry said:

This'll be a great trip for you. I recommend a stop and a tour of the Hearst Castle in San Simeon. Breathtaking. 

Kevin,

Absolutely.  Make sure if you go to do the tour that includes all the guest houses.  Most people only get there once, so don't pass on anything.  As it is, the experience is overwhelming, but if I understand correctly, there is maybe twice as much stuff in storage that never goes on display.  It's an impossibly fascinating and beautiful place. 

Yeah, it was recorded in a foreign country. That's why it's called "The Flip". because Rudy had to flip the sound back so the water flushed in the right direction like it does in America. That, and the commies tried to flip Philly Joe, but they got more than they bargained for with that one!

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, it was recorded in a foreign country. That's why it's called "The Flip". because Rudy had to flip the sound back so the water flushed in the right direction like it does in America. That, and the commies tried to flip Philly Joe, but they got more than they bargained for with that one!

:D:D

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I wonder who will master this now that Ron McMaster has retired?

Of course if Mosaic would listen to me, and I've told them this many times, they could simply hire Steve Hoffman to master a set and they'd get their 750 unit pre-order over and done in a matter of weeks, maybe even hours.

Sales-wise you may be right, but, as I've said before, I wasn't really impressed by Hoffman's Blue Note hybrid SACDs, way too laid-back and dull for my taste, they lacked "bite" (for want of a better description); I preferred the AudioWave Blue Note XRCDs that were mastered by Alan Yoshida. Same with the Contemporary remasters Hoffman did for a Japanese outlet whose name I forgot.

As for the upcoming Mobley set, I have all the albums on CD and I still think the omission of the 1960-1961 recordings is a mistake (unless they couldn't get them licensed), so I'll pass.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Sales-wise, I know that I'm right. I just don't understand if Mosaic is having problems drumming up enough sales why they don't even consider this. Steve Hoffman's name on a CD, no matter if you like his work or not, will improve your sales. I have no doubt on this.

But how much would Hoffman charge to do the work?  That might capsize the profits.

I just bought the five-disc Mobley set (which includes the alternates and not just the original release, unlike many in that series), so I'm a little bummed that I'll now be missing an alternate from No Room for Squares.  With the new Mosaic being mostly a compilation of previously reissued material, I doubt that I'll be grabbing it.

59 minutes ago, mjzee said:

But how much would Hoffman charge to do the work?  That might capsize the profits.

The real question would be, "How much more does Steve Hoffman charge versus whoever will do it otherwise?". Remastering these tapes isn't free. Someone has to do it and they will get paid. I have no idea how much Hoffman charges any more than I know how much Malcolm Addey charges. But I do believe that Mosaic could get this info rather quickly.

Just heard back from Mosaic why they chose 1963 as a starting point:

The answer to: Why start in 1963?

This was the year of Hank Mobley’s comeback after a year or more off the scene. His playing had less filigree and a more forceful rhythmic approach. The set covers the rest of his work for Blue Note through 1970, which amounts to 8 CDs..

Mobley’s first phase was covered in our “Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley’s Fifties Sessions.”

Most of his second phase, - the four 1960-61 sessions with Wynton Kelly and Paul Chambers – are still available.

Edited by J.A.W.

I have the CD with the "new" take of "Three Coins". It is not essential, in my opinion. To me, it sounds a little perfunctory, a little unsettled. Grant Green only plays a short solo, and doesn't really get into top gear.

The album is, of course, excellent and Wynton Kelly is sparkling. I find him rather dull on "Another Workout", as if the battery needed to be recharged. The original "Workout" album is the boss one.