New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

20 minutes ago, LouisvillePrez said:

I have no Hank Mobley on BN. And the last time Mosaic released a set of all available material -- the MJQ Atlantic Studio box -- I bought it and love it. If I have the $, I will get this.

I’d encourage you to get the first box.  There are several on eBay at not terrible prices. 

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, felser said:

I count four Savoy titles and three Muse titles, which will fill out a four or five CD box just fine.  "Not enough titles" from the company that brought us Freddie Redd and Don Cherry boxes with three albums on two CD's?

Well, to be fair, it's been a long time since those were issued, but I agree that some sideman dates could make it up. I think they were just putting Jim off.

gregmo

43 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Well, to be fair, it's been a long time since those were issued, but I agree that some sideman dates could make it up. I think they were just putting Jim off.

gregmo

It's easier, by a little, to put me on than it is to put me off.

I get it, they're old and tired and the market ain't what it used to be, nor will it ever be. Totally feeling that one.

So what's their brand going to be now?

Seems like the sweet spot for Mosaic sets these days is 7 or more discs, though the Savory is 6.

Are there enough Muse and Savoy sideman dates to make a Complete Muse and Savoy recordings of Bill Barron?  It didn't seem like it when I glanced at the discography.  But I have to admit that I don't know enough about the relationships of labels or which labels Mosaic has a working relationship with to know which ones would fit into a congruent set.

9 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Does anyone know if the minimum number of pre-orders was reached?  Is this set actually being released?

Mosaic said they'd decide "by early March". I haven't heard anything since the preorder announcement of 20 Feb (which also, in an apparent typo, said the set was "7-CD").

I expect a couple more "we'll need a strong response for preorders" e-mails before any decision is made public. The "early March" may not be carved in stone.

Edited by T.D.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:36 AM, T.D. said:

Mosaic said they'd decide "by early March". I haven't heard anything since the preorder announcement of 20 Feb (which also, in an apparent typo, said the set was "7-CD").

I expect a couple more "we'll need a strong response for preorders" e-mails before any decision is made public. The "early March" may not be carved in stone.

Per the Mosaic page, this set is now available for pre-order; no ambiguity or hedging.

38 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Per the Mosaic page, this set is now available for pre-order; no ambiguity or hedging.

Maybe, maybe not?  Am I misremembering that the Mosaic page never had any ambiguity or hedging on the page (website) itself?

I mean, originally this thread was started when someone just discovered it listed on the website -- and then only a couple/few days later was there an email explaining the "only if we get X number of order" stuff.  But was there *ever* any of that on their website?

I don't remember now.  But I'm not 100% sure that the absence of ambiguity/hedging on the website is (necessarily) any indication of anything new about this set.

(Anyone else remember?)

6 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Maybe, maybe not?  Am I misremembering that the Mosaic page never had any ambiguity or hedging on the page (website) itself?

I mean, originally this thread was started when someone just discovered it listed on the website -- and then only a couple/few days later was there an email explaining the "only if we get X number of order" stuff.  But was there *ever* any of that on their website?

I don't remember now.  But I'm not 100% sure that the absence of ambiguity/hedging on the website is (necessarily) any indication of anything new about this set.

(Anyone else remember?)

Yes, I remember just as you described, but still can't say 100% because I never went back and inspected the site after receiving the "only if we get X number of order" e-mail. ;)

So far everything about this box appears confused to me. Waiting for more e-mail.

10 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

(Anyone else remember?)

I pre-ordered and recall zero mention of ambiguity at the time.  It might have changed and then changed back to unambiguous but frankly I think they'd be shouting it out that this one is a "go" not leaving it to ambiguity/non-ambiguous.

Looks like it's a go.  From Mosaic:

"Thanks to the response of the Mosaic Records community we have begun the process of assembling the set. Bob Blumenthal is working on liner notes and we are ordering the masters from Blue Note."

Edited by Brad

Great news for me personally.  My family has always given me a Mosaic set for special occasions and this will afford them an opportunity to do so one more time - assuming the set remains in print at Christmas 2019 - which I'm thinking it will be.

I'm as big a fan and supporter of Mosaic as there is on the board. I'm glad that a set of 60s Mobley is being released.  As far as Mosaic's propensity to go for music of the 40s-60s, I understand that pre 60's music might not appeal to some as much as others and that there are artists who would make great Mosaic sets but have not been chosen for a number of reasons - availability, popularity, viability, sheer number of albums on Mosaic friendly labels.   Quite frankly I agree with the sentiment regarding more recent stuff for the most part - though I have found every set they've made to be a revelation on some level.   With this set in particular, many of us on this board have been around long enough to have been part of the golden age of Blue Note releases and remasters of the 80s, 90s and early 00s.  I'll bet there are many around the world who have not been and might be new to exploring this stuff.  This set might just be perfect for them - and there are only 2500 being printed - so I'm not sure why all the controversy over set selection. Quite frankly I'd love for this to be the precursor to releases of Morgan, Hancock, Gordon, Silver.  Maybe that will provide a financial opportunity to do more  sets of more obscure or modern artists.  Who knows?

I just wish the viewpoints could be expressed with less harshness, vitriol and negativity.  They are going to put out what they want to and what they are able to. We will buy what we like, what we can and what we are able to.  Not sure why all the histrionics and drama.  No matter what they do I will always be thankful to Mosaic for having enriched my life.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Totally relate to what Ed has said above. I will be going for this set - among other things it will make a fantastic continuous play on the USB stick in the car, which I already do with a number of beloved Mosaic sets. Listening to some of the Hank 60s LPs over the weekend emphasised just how brilliantly lyrical and inventive he was through that period - even though some of the material had elements of compromise.

8 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Great news for me personally.  My family has always given me a Mosaic set for special occasions and this will afford them an opportunity to do so one more time - assuming the set remains in print at Christmas 2019 - which I'm thinking it will be.

I'm as big a fan and supporter of Mosaic as there is on the board. I'm glad that a set of 60s Mobley is being released.  As far as Mosaic's propensity to go for music of the 40s-60s, I understand that pre 60's music might not appeal to some as much as others and that there are artists who would make great Mosaic sets but have not been chosen for a number of reasons - availability, popularity, viability, sheer number of albums on Mosaic friendly labels.   Quite frankly I agree with the sentiment regarding more recent stuff for the most part - though I have found every set they've made to be a revelation on some level.   With this set in particular, many of us on this board have been around long enough to have been part of the golden age of Blue Note releases and remasters of the 80s, 90s and early 00s.  I'll bet there are many around the world who have not been and might be new to exploring this stuff.  This set might just be perfect for them - and there are only 2500 being printed - so I'm not sure why all the controversy over set selection. Quite frankly I'd love for this to be the precursor to releases of Morgan, Hancock, Gordon, Silver.  Maybe that will provide a financial opportunity to do more  sets of more obscure or modern artists.  Who knows?

I just wish the viewpoints could be expressed with less harshness, vitriol and negativity.  They are going to put out what they want to and what they are able to. We will buy what we like, what we can and what we are able to.  Not sure why all the histrionics and drama.  No matter what they do I will always be thankful to Mosaic for having enriched my life.

Totally agreed; well put :righton: