New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

3 hours ago, bresna said:

This sounds like they're going "up a step" to me.

Now, I suppose an argument could be made that maybe even "Old World, New Imports" is really "Up A Step", as it also gives that feeling of stepping up...

The copyright deposits may or may not shed light on this. Don Sickler publishes these tunes, but I doubt anyone suggested it to him. I can talk to the guy who works for him who puts together the lead sheets for the website.

Title switches are frustrating because no one believes them and they are never changed later. I cannot convince anyone that the Wayne Shorter songs 'Blues a la Carte' and 'Harry's Last Stand' were switched. The copyrights prove it. Someone would need to ask Wayne.

Two Mingus tunes on the Changes records were also switched. Mingus actually announced it correctly in the Montreux DVD, and Jack Walrath confirmed it.

And don't get me started on composer credits. I did get Blue Note to change a few, but got some pushback. Butch Warren did get some money from my efforts, so that is good.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bertrand said:

The copyright deposits may or may not shed light on this. Don Sickler publishes these tunes, but I doubt anyone suggested it to him. I can talk to the guy who works for him who puts together the lead sheets for the website.

Title switches are frustrating because no one believes them and they are never changed later. I cannot convince anyone that the Wayne Shorter songs 'Blues a la Carte' and 'Harry's Last Stand' were switched. The copyrights prove it. Someone would need to ask Wayne.

Two Mingus tunes on the Changes records were also switched. Mingus actually announced it correctly in the Montreux DVD, and Jack Walrath confirmed it.

And don't get me started on composer credits. I did get Blue Note to change a few, but got some pushback. Butch Warren did get some money from my efforts, so that is good.

Bertrand.

Have you written a book or article on this? I find it interesting, and if your efforts help get proper credit and due to the responsible artist(s), then it seems a worthwhile endeavor. 

I do need to find a way to put all my copyright research findings in an article of some sort. I had talked about it with Mike Fitzgerald but never actually did it. I would prefer having a co-author, but I am not sure who. I don't actually read music myself. My efforts were kind of lonely and rebuffed by some Library employees, so I kind of lost my mojo. But my chief nemesis there is retired now, so maybe it is time to revive the idea.

I could at least compile a list of all that I uncovered. Creating a narrative around it will come later. Tons of unrecorded music to talk about.

Don Sickler does address No Room For Squares/Up A Step in the historical notes sections for these two songs at jazzleadsheets.com. He may have gotten this from Hank himself.

Edited by bertrand

19 minutes ago, bertrand said:

I do need to find a way to put all my copyright research findings in an article of some sort. I had talked about it with Mike Fitzgerald but never actually did it. I would prefer having a co-author, but I am not sure who. I don't actually read music myself. My efforts were kind of lonely and rebuffed by some Library employees, so I kind of lost my mojo. But my chief nemesis there is retired now, so maybe it is time to revive the idea.

I could at least compile a list of all that I uncovered. Creating a narrative around it will come later. Tons of unrecorded music to talk about.

Don Sickler does address No Room For Squares/Up A Step in the historical notes sections for these two songs at jazzleadsheets.com. He may have gotten this from Hank himself.

This sounds like something David Weiss might be interested in or maybe he knows someone who would be. You could PM him here on the forum.

David and I talk a lot, and he has been one of my main sources for information and verification. But he lives in NYC. Ideally, I need to find a collaborator who lives in DC so we can go to the Library regularly. I am not going these days anyway. My last visit was February 2020. I looked at the Dolphy collection with a couple of musicians and were talking about a concert. I got permissions from the Dolphy trust to use the material for a concert. One of my many projects on hold these days...

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

You may be adverse to social media, I don't know; but Twitter, Instagram and other platforms may be a good way to list without much narrative while generating an audience. And you could connect with the artists that way as well. Just a thought.