80th Anniversary Blue Note watch

greggery peccary

https://www.gshock.com/watches/g-steel/gstb100bnr-1a  

Saw this is available according to Blue Note’s monthly news letter. I prefer the look of the watch they did 25 years or so ago that you got by redeeming Connoisseur proof of purchases. 

Not only do I not like the look of this watch but $420 is out of my price range. 

Edited by greggery peccary

I've got a much nicer Blue Note watch from at least 15 or maybe closer to 20 years ago -- nicer than the freebie you got with the Conn proof of purchases too (I had one of those too).

A friend actually gave it to me (the nicer one) -- and I suspect it was more expensive than I would have bought at the time.  He said he never wore a watch, and never had any need for it (and I forget exactly where he got it from).  I'll have to dig around on-line and see if I can find any representative pics of it.

My wife gave me a G-shock Casio watch 3 or so years ago as a present. Not the fancy solar-powered one: a cheaper, $50 model. I could never figure out how to use any and all of the functions, and just gave up. It's in the box on my desk. I should really give it to someone smarter with the gadgetry...like my 11 y.o.

The manual is probably 50+ pages long, written in a tiny script.

This new watch is not a winner. It's too weird. Make something closer to a 80 y.o.-looking face. That's be more appropriate.

33 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

About wristwatch I think that nowadays a watch is like a jewel: its function is useless. You look at the time on your cell phones, on your car dashboard, on your computer and on the countless monitors you find in subway, shops etc.. A watch should be nice, better gorgeous.

The only time I wear a watch is when I travel. Just in case...

Lots of people wear an Apple Watch, or an equivalent. I, personally, never felt comfortable wearing a wristwatch myself, since I was of a watch-wearing age...my wife otoh is obsessed about having her watch on her wrist at all times. 

• 3 years later...
On 2/23/2019 at 9:02 AM, Dmitry said:

The only time I wear a watch is when I travel. Just in case...

Lots of people wear an Apple Watch, or an equivalent. I, personally, never felt comfortable wearing a wristwatch myself, since I was of a watch-wearing age...my wife otoh is obsessed about having her watch on her wrist at all times. 

Since I wrote this, I've slowly gotten into wearing a wrist watch. In fact, I like it very much now. I have  a small "collection" of old (worthless for collectors of time pieces) watches, a couple that my late father wore, a couple that I was given as presents over the decades, nothing amazing. I must say that Seiko 5 is a damn good, accurate and reliable watch. My almost 40 y.o. daily beater needed an overhaul. I can't believe I'm spending $400 to service a watch that cost me $30, but I like the watch, so I've agreed to have it completely taken apart, cleaned, lubed, new crystal and new gaskets installed.

I wore watches since I was a tween.  There was a patch of arm hair missing from my left wrist.  Then, sometime in the last decade, I saw that the iPhone (which I always had with me) was sufficient, and I stopped wearing a watch.  Haven't felt the urge since.