Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

How about a Freddie Roach Blue Note set? Two albums albums worth of unissued music, five released albums. CD reissues were done only in Japan, AFAIK.

I asked Michael C about that in the early 2000s when the Mosaic Selects first appeared - I thought Roach's 5 LPs would have been perfect for a 3CD set. Michael's response was that it wouldn't sell!!

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, hopkins said:

I wish Mosaic had published a complete Billie Holiday set, covering the same years as the complete Columbia set, as I think Mosaic would have offered better sound quality. 

It would make a great set. And a few errors could be corrected. 3 takes are not the alternates but duplicates of the master takes. 2 complete alternates and six incomplete takes are missing. And they could add 'Any old Time' with Artie Shaw. But who would buy it? Most of Billie's music is not exactly rare. On the other hand the Lady Day set is from 2001. So maybe there are new fans waiting for such a set. But frankly I don't hold my breath. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, mjzee said:

The Complete Stanley Cowell on Steeplechase.

The Complete Stanley Cowell small group jazz recordings on Strata-East/Freedom/ECM/Galaxy (avoids the two icky ones on Galaxy and the indulgent 'Regeneration' on Strata-East, but includes the excellent 'Equipoise' Galaxy trio album).

45 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I would imagine that since most, if not all, of Stanley Cowell's SteepleChase releases are in print, it would be an unlikely choice for a Mosaic set. I am trying to remember if Mosaic has ever licensed material recorded for non-US labels...

Maybe that's a business that Mosaic could get into: Since a lot of the Mosaic allure is the "complete" aspect, maybe they could cut a deal with, say, Steeplechase, to buy from them a certain number of Cowell's complete CDs at a cut rate price, and turn around and sell complete sets of those CDs at a reduced price.  It would be a box set without the actual box.  I'm sure a lot of people are turned off from buying Steeplechase CDs at $20 a title...if Mosaic could offer a complete set at $10 a disc, but requiring buyers to buy the complete set to get that price, they might find interest from buyers.

Here's a variation on that idea: Mosaic makes a box that fits those CDs, sells them with CDs and an accompanying booklet with essay by Bob Blumenthal and full discography, as an official Mosaic numbered limited edition.

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I would imagine that since most, if not all, of Stanley Cowell's SteepleChase releases are in print, it would be an unlikely choice for a Mosaic set. I am trying to remember if Mosaic has ever licensed material recorded for non-US labels...

MD6-190 The Complete Django Reinhardt and Quintet of the Hot Club of France Swing/HMV sessions 1936-1948.

• 4 weeks later...

The Complete Kenny Burrell on Fantasy ('Round Midnight, Both Feet On The Ground, Up The Street - 'Round The Corner - Down The Block, Ellington Is Forever vols. 1 & 2, Sky Street, Stormy Monday).

The Complete Kenny Burrell on Muse (Handcrafted, Live at the Village Vanguard, In New York, Listen To The Dawn, Groovin' High, A La Carte, Ellington A La Carte).

The Complete Kenny Burrell on Concord Jazz (Tin Tin Deo, Stormy Monday, When Lights Are Low, Moon And Sand, Lotus Blossom, Live At The Blue Note, Love Is The Answer, Lucky So And So, Blue Muse).

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

An excellent collection.  But Machito never received a set like this; hence, my post.  

The double CD Chuck posted was bootlegged by some European label, too. But since O'Farrill made many of his Clef/Norgan/Verve recordings with the same pool of musicians that play in Machito's Orquesta, the combination is obvious. The tracks reissued by Verve on various compilations show much better audio than that Pablo double LP. But the question is whether the sources survived in the Universal vaults .... 

No more office...

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com

Mosaic Records: Open House

This will be our final open house since we will be closing the office and working-from-home like many businesses these days. During the pandemic we found the business could operate efficiently primarily since we contracted out the warehouse functions a number of years ago and the software programs can now all be accessed remotely.

Sale Items include Out-of-print and partial Mosaic Sets, 125 out-of-print Mosaic booklets
Specially priced Francis Wolff Fine Art Prints.
Out-of-print Jazz CDs, boxed sets, LPs, 78s, DVDs and books.

Dates: Thursday/Friday/Sat. Sept. 23-25 ; 11:00-5:00

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...