Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

On 26-7-2022 at 4:15 AM, John L said:

That would make a very nice Mosaic:  The Louis Armstrong Okeh recordings: 1929-1932.  The 3 discs on JSP remastered by J.R. Davies are the best sounding current source on CD.  But there are some missing alternates and other tracks that can be found on the various Columbia releases.  The whole thing would fit nicely on 4 CDs.  If they could include the RCA recordings from 1932-1933, it would be 6 discs.  One disc could also have the historic 1933-1934 European concerts.  Such a 7 disc set would be the perfect complete interval between the Hot 5s and the Decca recordings already packaged by Mosaic.  It would also include consistently great music, some of the best ever recorded. 

I have a slightly diffrent look on a Pops Okeh/Columbia/Victor set

From a previous post:

Louis Armstrong Okeh, Columbia and Victor 1925-1933 sessions. Off course this material is not difficult to obtain. Most of it anyway. But at the moment these recordings are not available in away that is legal everywhere. Including only the leader sessions it would amount  to 8 CD’s. But in this period Armstrong was also a side man in 9 vocalist sessions (21 tracks). This would mean an extra CD. But on the one hand I would not like the vocalist sessions intertwined with the leader sessions but on the other hand I would not like to miss Hociel Thomas’ ‘Sunshine Baby’ Just listen to Armstrong and Dodds play as if their lives depend on in. If Universal would cooperate and allow a CD with the Erskine Tate, Lil Armstrong, Johnny Dodds, Jimmy Bertrant and the Louis Armstrong 1934 Paris sessions to be included than together with the 1935-1946 Decca set we would have 21 consecutive years of Armstrong studio recordings complete.

Edited by miles65
typo

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Late said:

How many CDs might that be? 2022 has been my summer of The Three Sounds.

I think it its been guesstimated around 5-6?  Actually "complete unissued Three Sounds" could include a session for Mercury that is completely unissued and must be 3 CDs or so (35 total tracks).

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Joe said:

It will never happen, but a set that collects all of Marion Brown's Arista/Freedom, Impulse, Baystate, Discomate, and Sweet Earth recordings from the 70s sure would be nice. 

Throw in his 60's stuff also.  I'd buy it.  

• 3 weeks later...

I recognize that my previous suggestions for Mosaic sets have been unlikely and arcane, and since Blue Note Collections seem to be a more or less sure thing I would like to suggest the following:

Hootin’ and Tootin’:  The Uncollected Blue Note Tenor Saxophonists

1536: J. R. Monterose - J. R. Monterose (10/21/56)

4094: Fred Jackson - Hootin' 'n Tootin' (2/5/62)

4107: Don Wilkerson - Preach Brother! (6/18/62)

4119: Charlie Rouse - Bossa Nova Bacchanal (11/26/62)

4121: Don Wilkerson - Elder Don (5/3/62)

4138: Harold Vick - Steppin' Out! (5/27/63)

4145: Don Wilkerson - Shoutin' (7/29/63)

4274: Tyrone Washington - Natural Essence (12/29/67)

(Or add the following to construct)

Johnny Griffin, Clifford Jordan, and the Uncollected Blue Note Tenor Saxophonists

1533: Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin (4/17/56)

1549: Cliff Jordan/John Gilmore - Blowing in from Chicago (3/3/57)

1565: Clifford Jordan - Cliff Jordan (6/2/57)

1580: Johnny Griffin - The Congregation (10/23/57)

1582: Clifford Jordan - Cliff Craft (11/10/57)

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I recognize that my previous suggestions for Mosaic sets have been unlikely and arcane, and since Blue Note Collections seem to be a more or less sure thing I would like to suggest the following:

Johnny Griffin, Clifford Jordan, and the Uncollected Blue Note Tenor Saxophonists

Both workable ideas, but missing sessions.  From the first batch there's the 2nd Fred Jackson session issued as bonus tracks on the Hootin' 'n Tootin' CD and the still unissued Tyronne Washington 'train wreck' session.  And from the 2nd batch there's Griffin's Blowin' Session issued as 1559. And there's at least two unissued but for one cut Charlie Rouse Sessions - to me and I suspect many others these would be great opportunities to get this stuff out.  And to discuss the history of the label and why things went unissued.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I don't think the 1950s stuff sells as well so that's probably questionable.

And I can't wrap my mind around the first one or how these tenors connect.  Jackson/Wilkerson/Vick are one style, Rouse and Monterose another and Tyrone Washington is ... well you just keep him. Never worked for me at all. 

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Now that all of Les Baxter's Capitol exotica albums have been made available as lossless downloads from Qobuz, it would be very easy for Mosaic to do a Les Baxter Capitol Exotica set.  Just use the lossless digital masters.  

Doesn’t sound to me to be a ‘fit’ with Mosaic’s jazz remit.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Now that all of Les Baxter's Capitol exotica albums have been made available as lossless downloads from Qobuz, it would be very easy for Mosaic to do a Les Baxter Capitol Exotica set.  Just use the lossless digital masters.  

If only it were that easy (thinking of the licensing issues).

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

How many albums would that contain?

If you include the modern issues on Verve from Konitz’s later years, there are at least 10 albums. Motion was a 3 CD expanded reissue in the Verve Elte Edition series.

I would love to see another box of unissued Phil Woods. I spoke to Bill Goodwin at the Deer Head Inn a few years ago and he is digitizing a lot of the quintet’s live shows.