Trying to help out Mosaic by suggesting sets

Same sort of response about my idea for a complete Tyrone Washington BN sessions (including all his BN sideman appearances).

So Natural Essence and The Trainwreck (the whole session, ideally, with all four alternates) — and the unreleased Jackie McClean session with Woody Shaw — plus The Jody Grind — and Contrasts (probably just the 4 tracks he’s on).

I think the particular response I got threw up roadblocks primarily on Michael’s claim to me that the McLean tapes were ‘lost’ (which seems contrary to other reports of Michael claiming the session was a mess)… aAnd maybe also that the tapes for The Jody Grind were an issue (or maybe I just imagined him actually saying anything about that session, which seems to have always(?) been sourced from vinyl on all(?) CD reissues of it). IF he did say anything to me in his reply, it wasn’t specific (just that it was somehow an  unspecified issue).

In any case, I *very* distinctly remember him saying the McLean tapes were lost — and I never got him to say anything at all (he was silent) about The Trainwreck.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, JSngry said:

Trainwreck deserves a full release imo. A lot better than given credit for by the gatekeeper. 

And some of it’s better than some of Natural Essence too.

For one, the ‘free’-ballad on The Trainwreck is definitely better than the ‘free’-ballad that closes Natural Essence, imho.

I’d have to hear all the tracks from Natural Essence again (been a while since I’ve spun it), but I’m pretty sure I’d take one or two other Trainwreck tracks over a couple of the Natural Essence tracks too.

ALSO, Herbie (not Lewis) plays his ass off on The Trainwreck — every bit as important as Herbie’s contributions to The All Seeing Eye and Some Other Stuff.

Retreading the same stuff from this thread & others over the years, but:

“Classic” Don Byas, Lucky Thompson, Mary Lou Williams

Warne Marsh Revelation sessions & private tapes

Paul Bley complete 60s trios

Bill Barron Savoy 

One that does seem doable, and that I think would be very interesting as a whole, is a Shepp Impulse! set 

I would make a case for re-releasing both Charles Tolliver Selects in a big box. The large group one was barely available to begin with, and the first one goes for 2-3x what a 6xCD black box would sell for. This music is too good & important to be lost.

Right around the time of his passing, I suggested a Complete Blue Note Recordings of Chick Corea. As I imagined it, It would include his dates as a leader and sideman.  So:

• The Song of Singing
  • The Circle stuff
    • Early Circle
    • Circulus
  • Complete "IS" Sessions
  • Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
  • Jazz for a Sunday Afternoon
  • With Blue Mitchell
    • The Thing To Do
    • Down With It
    • Boss Horn
  • With Wayne Shorter
    • Super Nova
    • Moto Grosso Feio
  • With Donald Byrd
    • The Creeper
  • With Elvin Jones
    • Merry-Go-Round ( three songs, I think - but just the sings with Corea)
  • With Bobby Hutcherson
    • Total Eclipse
  • With Bobby McFerrin
    • Play

I emailed Mosaic.  The response I got was that while it would make an interesting set, Chick's recordings were readily available.  Not sure if they are any more available than Henderson, Hubbard or Mobley.

I do think they are missing an opportunity as I think the name appeal of Corea would sell a bunch of sets.  Now that he' passed, perhaps more so. Plus in Mosaic quality remastering and a top notch booklet. But what do I know?

33 minutes ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Right around the time of his passing, I suggested a Complete Blue Note Recordings of Chick Corea. As I imagined it, It would include his dates as a leader and sideman.  So:

• The Song of Singing
  • The Circle stuff
    • Early Circle
    • Circulus
  • Complete "IS" Sessions
  • Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
  • Jazz for a Sunday Afternoon
  • With Blue Mitchell
    • The Thing To Do
    • Down With It
    • Boss Horn
  • With Wayne Shorter
    • Super Nova
    • Moto Grosso Feio
  • With Donald Byrd
    • The Creeper
  • With Elvin Jones
    • Merry-Go-Round ( three songs, I think - but just the sings with Corea)
  • With Bobby Hutcherson
    • Total Eclipse
  • With Bobby McFerrin
    • Play

I emailed Mosaic.  The response I got was that while it would make an interesting set, Chick's recordings were readily available.  Not sure if they are any more available than Henderson, Hubbard or Mobley.

I do think they are missing an opportunity as I think the name appeal of Corea would sell a bunch of sets.  Now that he' passed, perhaps more so. Plus in Mosaic quality remastering and a top notch booklet. But what do I know?

This strikes me as a little broad & unwieldy overall, but something focusing on the Atlantic/Blue Note/Vortex/Solid State acoustic sessions would be excellent. Probably the amount of cherry-picking you’d have to do puts this outside Mosaic’s wheelhouse but something like a few “best of” discs of tunes he solos on plus Tones For Joan’s Bones, Now He Sings, and Song of Singing in full would be an awesome listen. 

Edited by colinmce

On 25.9.2022 at 1:56 PM, bresna said:

If you want the trainwreck session issued, just message Zev Feldman and get him on it. He's the one that got "Just Coolin'" released and that's another session that MIchael Cuscuna said would never get released.

the fact that a generous collector put the whole just coolin session on youtube may have played a part as well.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

How many total cuts? 

Tom Lord lists 67 cuts, but there could be some more in the Columbia vaults, as there were many issues with hitherto unreleased cuts and some sessions that probably resulted in much more material than is known.

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, I just know the two Benson LPs and the one Smith. Hardly 67 cuts there, even with the expanded CD reissues. What are the others?

I believe there are some on that mid-70s “Benson Burner” double lp on Columbia.

I'd love to see a comprehensive Mosaic set of Jaki Byard's albums as a leader or soloist. Yeah, I know that most of the material was reissued, though I have some unreleased tracks from The Last From Lennie's in my possession that were never released. Some are breakdowns/rehearsals, though there are some complete performances.

I have my doubts that the label thinks they could sell 2,500 sets, though I think that nearly all of the CDs are out of print, due to Concord's disinterest in the catalogs they acquired.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Ok, adding those in it comes up to about 61. Maybe 67 is adding some different edits?

Either way...check the timings on all of them, especially the Benson Burner cuts.. A lot of these cuts are very short. You'd get four CDs worth of material, more or less. 5 max, if you make short CDs.

Today's Mosaic doesn't do small sets like that. That's too bad.

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, adding those in it comes up to about 61. Maybe 67 is adding some different edits?

Either way...check the timings on all of them, especially the Benson Burner cuts.. A lot of these cuts are very short. You'd get four CDs worth of material, more or less. 5 max, if you make short CDs.

Today's Mosaic doesn't do small sets like that. That's too bad.

Yes those timings are very short.  That was one of my first jazz lps, circa early 80s and I have some emotional attachment to it :P.  I don't think the Lonnie Smith record has ever been on CD?

Edited by Eric

21 hours ago, Eric said:

Some of the Benson Burner twofer duplicates tracks from Benson's earlier Colubia albums. Lord isn't specific about that. Tracks are short, yes, but the music has a nice energy, judging from the two CD reissues. The Benson Burner was released to gain a profit from Benson's sudden popularity with the Breezin' LP.

Two tracks are on a Spirituals To Swing Concert album:

OS0zMzQ2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Basically, it's a discographical mess. Some of the tracks from the Lonnie Smith LP were included on the Benson CD reissues. Long versions, short versions for single release (not edited!), alternates etc.

Edited by mikeweil

47 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Two tracks are on a Spirituals To Swing Concert album:

OS0zMzQ2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Basically, it's a discographical mess. Some of the tracks from the Lonnie Smith LP were included on the Benson CD reissues. Long versions, short versions for single release (not edited!), alternates etc.

There's some great Ronnie Cuber on one of the Benson tracks; I think he overshadows Benson.

has anyone suggested a Modern Records set (late 40's to early 50's) - could run in a similar vein to the recent Black & White set

Howard McGhee, Wardell Gray (including Gene Norman's Just Jazz concerts), Errol Garner, Andre Previn, Jimmy Witherspoon, Big Joe Turner, Johnny Moore's Three Blazers, Helen Humes, Benny Carter Orchestra, Jimmy Giuffre Orchestra - based on 78 releases (there's also Stan Getz on LP)

Finallly we'd have some Wardell Gray given the Mosaic Rx

• 3 weeks later...