What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

On 12/30/2022 at 1:56 PM, soulpope said:

If you did enjoy the SoulScape CD, this investment should be very rewarding .... not only is George Jackson in top form, but the ""Fame Gang" musicians provide tantalizing Southern Soul soundtracks .... and the ACE/Kent mastering is top notch too ....

Listening to 'Don't Count Me Out' for the first time. Extraordinary story behind these recordings and that so few of these tracks were issued commercially. 

What a great voice, a bit of Pickett on the stompers but without his braggadocio. I prefer the mid-tempo and ballads on first listen, a sweet vocal delivery on these, just hanging off the beat. Great musicianship on display too.

Thanks for the tip @soulpope

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Listening to 'Don't Count Me Out' for the first time. Extraordinary story behind these recordings and that so few of these tracks weren't issued commercially. 

What a great voice, a bit of Pickett on the stompers but without his braggadocio. I prefer the mid-tempo and ballads on first listen, a sweet vocal delivery on these, just hanging off the beat. Great musicianship on display too.

Thanks for the tip @soulpope

You're welcome .... glad you're enjoying these recordings too ....

10 minutes ago, felser said:

Her music does a lot more for me than her father's does, though his persona was awesome.

I've loved Johnny's music since I was a kid.  

Aside from the radio hits, Rosanne's music is a relatively recent discovery for me.  Over the last few years, I've been exploring her catalog.  She's sorta hit me upside the head -- in the best possible way.  I think she's an amazing singer and songwriter.

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Aside from the radio hits, Rosanne's music is a relatively recent discovery for me.  Over the last few years, I've been exploring her catalog.  She's sorta hit me upside the head -- in the best possible way.  I think she's an amazing singer and songwriter.

I like both of them.

47 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Check out her "King's Record Shop" and "Interiors" albums. 

On 1/6/2023 at 7:40 AM, HutchFan said:

Same for me with Rosanne. Especially her albums from the last 20+ years.

Also become obsessed by her husband John Leventhal's guitar playing and production. Very subtle, but has a unique way of arranging and I believe writing (or embellishing) the music. You can really hear it throughout other albums he's had a hand in by Sarah Jarosz, Shawn Colvin and William Bell.

Twenty-five years on come this September and it still hits like a masterpiece of broken-hearted pop, a beautiful balance between the intimacy of his preceding Kill Rock Stars albums and the baroque polish of Figure 8 that followed this one. And you hear his influence a lot these days, especially in artists such as Phoebe Bridgers (who’s even written a song about him, “Punisher”):

ElliottsmithXOalbumcover.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

5 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Twenty-five years on come this September and it still hits like a masterpiece of broken-hearted pop, a beautiful balance between the intimacy of his preceding Kill Rock Stars albums and the baroque polish of Figure 8 that followed this one. And you hear his influence a lot these days, especially in artists such as Phoebe Bridgers (who’s even written a song about him, “Punisher”):

ElliottsmithXOalbumcover.jpg

Excellent ....