Hannibal Lokumbe (Marvin Peterson)

felser

https://www.philly.com/news/hannibal-lokumbe-philadelphia-orchestra-healing-tones-shofar-tree-of-life-20190321.html

Article above well worth your read.  He sounds like he is as fascinating as a man as he is as a musician.  @jsngry and others in Dallas-Ft. Worth area, do/did you know him in person?  Any other thoughts?

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Never met him, did work locally with his cousin Pat for a while, good times.

Here's an article from 2010: https://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2010-02-12/960857/

and one from 1997: https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/horn-free/

I've always thought I heard more Coltrane than any other musical influence in his trumpet playing, so found this from the 1997 article to be very interesting.  Though I have to say, I've never considered him to have "delicate phrasing":

He picked up the trumpet at age thirteen and cut his teeth on saxophonist John Coltrane’s Blue Trane and, later, Kulu Se Mama,Om, Ascension, and A Love Supreme; the influence shows to this day in Lokumbe’s delicate phrasing and fiery solo runs.

I once contributed  to a Hannibal Marvin Peterson discography being  compiled by someone in Europe.  (My info was about some Gil Evans live recordings with Peterson.  To be honest his work with Evans is about all I'm familiar with.) 

Edited by medjuck

41 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I once contributed  to a Hannibal Marvin Peterson discography being  compiled by someone in Europe.  (My info was about some Gil Evans live recordings with Peterson.  To be honest his work with Evans is about all I'm familiar with.) 

His leader sessions are very different.  Here is one prime example from his 1975 album on MPS records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppo63C_Uklc

I saw him play "Zee Zee" with the Gil Evans Orchestra at Carnegie Hall in the early 70s. An unforgettable, powerful experience. A good example of how much more powerful the experience of live music is than recordings. I picked up the Richard Davis LP he played on, and then his orchestra album. I remember seeing Tom Harrell and Jerry Tillitz play at a club in LI, when they had both just been released from Pilgrim State Hospital. TH was burning back then. I started talking to him about trumpet players on the break, and I mentioned all the standard guys, Brownie, Hubbard, Farmer etc..., and he just kept looking down, not saying anything. Then, when I mentioned Hannibal, he got all excited, and started raving about him.

I really like the seventies recordings with his Sunrise Orchestra (Children Of Fire, Hannibal, The Light...). At that time, he also played on a lot of other great records: the Richard Davis album mentioned above, Jazz Composers' Orchestra, Pharaoh Sanders, Billy Hart's "Enchance"... Always good to have him on board.

To be honest, I didn't know about his later activities as a composer or about the Lokumbe name.

@ Jim: Pat (the singer) is his sister, isn't she?

Yup he is great, especially the Sunrise Orchestra stuff (although I must say I do not like most of the vocals on those albums). His work on Andrew Cyrille's My Friend Louis is also awesome. A trumpeter with Donald Ayler's power and Toliver's technique and speed. Powerful trumpeter!

I saw him in the group with George Adams.  Beaver Harris on drums.  That would have been, maybe late-70's, early 80's, one of the Leo Gadson productions at the Ethical Society.  He also brought in McLean, Blakey, Juju, and others.  And opening acts were local Philly musicians early in their careers like Monette Sudler and Toomi Sunooka (I know I'm butchering the spelling on that one).

53 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Btw the self-titled outing in MPS is outstanding ....

And sadly has never been reissued on CD.  One of the very few downloads I have ever purchased (the other is the Elvin Jones Town Hall Concert with Farrell, Corea, and Perla).

52 minutes ago, felser said:

And sadly has never been reissued on CD.  One of the very few downloads I have ever purchased (the other is the Elvin Jones Town Hall Concert with Farrell, Corea, and Perla).

Unfortunately .... btw the MPS release has priceless cover art 😎 ....

Just now, soulpope said:

Unfortunately .... btw the MPS release has priceless cover art 😎 ....

It does indeed. Got mine on the wall, next to Alkebu Lan on Strata. The other list will be filled with Joe McPhee’s Nation Time.

23 hours ago, felser said:

https://www.philly.com/news/hannibal-lokumbe-philadelphia-orchestra-healing-tones-shofar-tree-of-life-20190321.html

Article above well worth your read.  He sounds like he is as fascinating as a man as he is as a musician.  @jsngry and others in Dallas-Ft. Worth area, do/did you know him in person?  Any other thoughts?

Did you go hear him with/at the orchestra? A program of Hannibal and Sibelius is not an opportunity one gets every day!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Did you go hear him with/at the orchestra? A program of Hannibal and Sibelius is not an opportunity one gets every day!

I'll have to look into that.  I am sort of friends with David Kim, the concertmaster, and he may be able to help.

oops!

CLASSICAL MUSIC

Healing Tones

Performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra in a program with the Sibelius Symphony No. 2 at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 28, and 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, March 29 and 30, at Verizon Hall in the Kimmel Center, Broad and Spruce Streets.