Fund Raiser For Onaje Allan Gumbs

Kevin Bresnahan

Laurie Pepper just sent out an E-mail asking for people on her mailing list to consider contributing to a fund to help Onaje Allan Gumbs, who is very ill and needs financial assistance. The creator of the fundraiser goes on to say that in addition to this Facebook fundraiser, there will be a benefit concert/jam session held on April 23rd at the Williamsburg Music Center in Brooklyn, NY from 7Pm until 11pm. The link she gave: https://www.facebook.com/donate/396450437600640/

I haven't seen Onaje play in a few years but when I last saw him, he was still one of the best pianists I ever witnessed.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Onaje is a pianist, isn’t he?

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I haven't seen Onaje play in a few years but when I last saw him, he was still one of the best bassists I ever witnessed.

He is a pianist, isn’t he? Anyway this is sad news! :( love his stuff with Woody

Thanks for letting us know, Kevin.  I've seen him once, with Avery Sharpe's Sojourner Truth Project, and was impressed by his work as a strong soloist and sensitive, unselfish accompanist.  He also came across as a nice guy when I talked to him briefly afterward.  Here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery.