Mosaic's Black and White label box set

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SwingItTrev said:

I just got a shipping notice. I’m in Australia. Hopefully it will be here within a few months :lol:

Got mine today too - Australia bound - can't work out whether it's going via Ascendia or USPS.

Inserting tracking code in Ascendia comes back as "Item Not Found" - too early??

My order from Mosaic to the UK shipped yesterday, but looking at the JM price I wish I had waited and ordered from them. A less tortuous shipping journey, plus deduction of VAT probably makes it more economical. Should have had more patience!

42 minutes ago, 2scoops said:

My order from Mosaic to the UK shipped yesterday, but looking at the JM price I wish I had waited and ordered from them. A less tortuous shipping journey, plus deduction of VAT probably makes it more economical. Should have had more patience!

The JM option is likely to be dinged on VAT on import but even so, with their free shipping it is likely a good option.

8 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Resistance is futile.

The sound samples sound good and this is intriguing material that I never knew about. So - inclined to agree !

VAT and courier charges are always a lottery. I've ordered from Mosaic directly before and not been charged, so who knows?

With tax deducted by JM, the box just creeps over the £135 limit for VAT to be charged by UK customs, so again a bit of a lottery.

Whatever, at least I can say I have supported Mosaic. Looking forward to listening to meterial that will be mostly new to me.

The Barney Bigard session with Art Tatum on disc 5 is one of my favorite dates from the set thus far. A lot of the mid-late 1940s “Long Tall Papa”-style double-entendre vocal blues genre on discs 4 and 5 which tends to weary me these days, no matter how good the performers or performances, but I knew that going in. On to disc 6 and Jack McVea.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, ghost of miles said:

The Barney Bigard session with Art Tatum on disc 5 is one of my favorite dates from the set thus far. A lot of the mid-late 1940s “Long Tall Papa”-style double-entendre vocal blues genre on discs 4 and 5 which tends to weary me these days, no matter how good the performers or performances, but I knew that going in. On to disc 6 and Jack McVea.

That's funny. I'm just reading this as I finish the Bigard/Auld stuff on disc five. Bigard and Tatum are up next! On the whole, I'm really enjoying the variety on this set so far. There have been some pleasant surprises (Mike Lo Salzo, anyone?!), and I'm hoping for more.

I am also listening my way though this fascinating set.  While the high quality of much of this rather obscure music is striking, I worry that this will still be a set that I will still rarely pull off the shelf after I finish a single listen.  I am therefore planning to put some of the best material into playlists so that it won't be forgotten.  

On 20/07/2022 at 8:22 PM, sidewinder said:

Yes, last order I put in with JM around this value I was charged VAT and that damn Royal Mail ‘handling charge’ so a bit of a lottery all round. As you say, Mosaic are very worthy of support for endeavours like this.

I'm sorry to say I now regret having supported them. The carrier they are using, Asendia, get dreadful reviews on Trustpilot. I'm still waiting for order to ship, a week after being notified. Neither have I received a response to my emails from Mosaic to find out what is going on. I asked if I could cancel my order so I could order from JM but doubt if that will happen. Very disappointed to say the least.

Jazzmessengers uses different carriers depending on the destination, UK after Brexit complicates things, unfortunately, and slows down delivery. I always received my parcels from them within two to five days, but, alas, I live in a EU country .... 

I sold a box set privately to a UK forum member, it was in the UK after three days and then it took a week to be processed by the customs.

Edited by mikeweil