Mosaic's Black and White label box set

received this one liner email from Mosaic this morning - no other explanatory text

"https://a1.asendiausa.com/tracking/        50S6BZZQ94"

again, that number goes nowhere (it never did right from the start) - below is the response I get when inserting the tracking number into Ascendia

Your Order Information Has Not Yet Made It To Our System But We Will Show Updates Once It Does! Check Back Soon!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received the same email yesterday. If you open the link it takes you to a different Asendia website than previously. I entered the tracking number (same as the one originally provided) and it did give me updated tracking information.

My box arrived this morning, no extra fees to pay. Unless Mosaic change their shipping provider for (hopefully) subsequent boxes, I will use JM in future.

I hope you box arrives soon; I should contact Fred if your tracking number still leads nowhere.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, kh1958 said:

Received my set on Tuesday and unfortunately it appears an elephant stepped on one corner of the shipping box, crushing one corner of the black box and plastic tray, though the CDs and booklet are okay.

Received my replacement box and plastic tray via UPS today. Thanks Mosaic.

On 03/08/2022 at 2:14 AM, 2scoops said:

I received the same email yesterday. If you open the link it takes you to a different Asendia website than previously. I entered the tracking number (same as the one originally provided) and it did give me updated tracking information.

My box arrived this morning, no extra fees to pay. Unless Mosaic change their shipping provider for (hopefully) subsequent boxes, I will use JM in future.

I hope you box arrives soon; I should contact Fred if your tracking number still leads nowhere.

I did contact Fred a few days ago & spoke of the shipping "fiasco" & he totally agreed. He contacted Asendia for me & next day I received a functioning link with a different tracking #

6 hours ago, romualdo said:

I did contact Fred a few days ago & spoke of the shipping "fiasco" & he totally agreed. He contacted Asendia for me & next day I received a functioning link with a different tracking #

Pleased that you got it sirted, hopefully your box will arrive soon.

I'm also pleased that Mosaic acknowledge that the shipping has been a 'fiasco', maybe they will take action to improve next time.

Man, I’d forgotten how much I enjoy these Earle Spencer sides (which Chuck Nessa hipped me to many years ago on this site) that make up disc 11. Vera and Wenzel in their notes say that the band in its time was thought of as “the poor man’s Stan Kenton.” How about “the less bombastic man’s Stan Kenton”? :g (said as one who likes many Kenton recordings from this era as well)

Edited by ghost of miles

Just got my hands on it today.  Don't pass this up! Much of it will be new to many of us, but much of what will be new to many of us is superb. Just on disc one, a Cliff Jackson date with lovely fluent, fluid Pee Wee Russell, outside of his then typical Condon framework (not that there's anything wrong with that, but this is different), and another Jackson date with Bechet excelling in a sideman role alongside Sidney DeParis. And Jackson was no slouch as a solo pianist. Fine liner notes by Dan Morgenstern, as one might expect. with others pinch-hitting at times.

On 20/08/2022 at 8:28 PM, SwingItTrev said:

Ugh, this shipping is wild. Tracking tells me my set has been from Secaucus USA to Sydney Australia and now back to Secaucus. I’m in Melbourne. I don’t know what to expect anymore. 

same here

my Asendia is saying Australia (Sydney) for Aug 18 while the DAI has it in the states for 17/8 - how can that be - Concorde postal service!!

17 hours ago, romualdo said:

same here

my Asendia is saying Australia (Sydney) for Aug 18 while the DAI has it in the states for 17/8 - how can that be - Concorde postal service!!

•  

I know people in Sydney have got theirs so hopefully ours are still in transit in Australia. Somewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, mjzee said:

Just started listening to this today.  Am very impressed with Cliff Jackson, who I've never heard or heard of before.

He is on two Prestige Swingville albums under Coleman Hawkins' name, Things Ain't What They Used to Be and Years Ago. One of these albums is on the CD, Jam Session in Swingville.

• 10 months later...

It seems like most of this thread has been about the lead-up to the set's release and it shipping, but there has been little discussion of the music.

I managed to score a copy for a tad under 100 bucks after tax and shipping, which is an incredible bargain, so I'm excited.  I thought I'd try to spur some discussion.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:16 PM, mjzee said:

Just started listening to this today.  Am very impressed with Cliff Jackson, who I've never heard or heard of before.

I too found the Cliff Jackson elements to be pretty great, sending me on a search for Cliff Jackson's Krazy Kids records from 1930.

16 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I too found the Cliff Jackson elements to be pretty great, sending me on a search for Cliff Jackson's Krazy Kids records from 1930.

Cliff Jackson is also on the wonderful Master Jazz Piano Mosaic and has at least one album on Black Lion. :tup

• 2 weeks later...

When I first got this set, I was pretty pleased to get some Joe Marsala and Barney Bigard sessions with the great St. Louis trumpet guy Joe Thomas in vastly improved sound.  Having dug the Cliff Jackson elements, now I'm very interested in the Rod Cless session(s) and a vocal session that features Aaron Sachs. A label retrospective like this is my favorite type of Mosaic box set other than the amazing Coleman Hawkins, Chu Berry, or Lester Young retrospectives.  As a matter of fact it was the HRS set that really introduced me to Joe Thomas.

Edited by Jim Duckworth
left out info

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

When I first got this set, I was pretty pleased to some Joe Marsala and Barney Bigard sessions with the great St. Louis trumpet guy Joe Thomas in vastly improved sound.  Having dug the Cliff Jackson elements, now I'm very interested in the Rod Cless session(s) and a vocal session that features Aaron Sachs. A label retrospective like this is my favorite type of Mosaic box set other than the amazing Coleman Hawkins, Chu Berry, or Lester Young retrospectives.  As a matter of fact it was the HRS set that really introduced me to Joe Thomas.

I, too, am a fan of Mosaic’s label-overview collections. Do you have the Classic Capitol Sessions box? That’s one I keep meaning to return to.