Brexit could make UK touring tricky for artists

BillF

1 hour ago, catesta said:

Is what he said racist?

Looking at Mr. Washington's tour schedule he will be performing in Russia in June? Russia requires a Visa regardless of stay duration, no? It can be done!

It was certainly eagerly supportive of the racist status quo. 

You are not fooling me with the Russia example. Different unwritten rules apply (in the UK) for POC if the situation isn't rigged outright to their disadvantage.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

From the article that Bill posted:

"In February the organisers of the world music festival Womad said they were struggling to book artists because of Brexit uncertainty and concerns about difficulties entering the country. Chris Smith, the festival’s director, said: “It is harder to book artists because of Brexit … We are struggling to overcome it and let artists know they are welcome here and that people still want to experience their great music.”

Seems pretty plain to me.  And whatever side people take on Brexit, it's already had a detrimental impact on the UK's economy.  Companies are leaving or deciding not to base themselves there because of it.

Yeah but I am still waiting to hear about the racial component of it. Let alone the "unwritten rules" effecting POC.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Yeah but I am still waiting to hear about the racial component of it. Let alone the "unwritten rules" effecting POC.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Brexit, racism, Windrush, Russia and the Sex Pistols...I predict this thread will end well

You can add enabling to your list.

17 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

From the article that Bill posted:

"In February the organisers of the world music festival Womad said they were struggling to book artists because of Brexit uncertainty and concerns about difficulties entering the country. Chris Smith, the festival’s director, said: “It is harder to book artists because of Brexit … We are struggling to overcome it and let artists know they are welcome here and that people still want to experience their great music.”

Seems pretty plain to me.  And whatever side people take on Brexit, it's already had a detrimental impact on the UK's economy.  Companies are leaving or deciding not to base themselves there because of it.

The phrases "uncertainty and concerns" and "let artists know they are welcome here" speaks more of perceptions than practicalities. And I'm wary of articles that include "could" or "might" in the headline; "may not" is equally applicable.