"Lennie Tristano: The Jazz Guru"

7 hours ago, BillF said:

Now listening.

(I met Tristano on a rare visit to the UK :excited:)

Bill, wow! 1965 or 1968, I presume? (I think that’s when he was in Europe.) I have a friend here in Bloomington who met him as a prospective student in the 1970s... and I think Allen Lowe has shared his memory of an encounter with Tristano around the same time.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Bill, wow! 1965 or 1968, I presume? (I think that’s when he was in Europe.) I have a friend here in Bloomington who met him as a prospective student in the 1970s... and I think Allen Lowe has shared his memory of an encounter with Tristano around the same time.

Must have been '68. I was taken by Peter Ind - then teaching on Britain's first jazz education course in Leeds - to the nearby Harrogate Festival where he'd arranged for Lennie to perform. I sat in on Lennie's interview by a guy from the local BBC station. Lennie's handling of this guy was like a textbook example of the "putting on" of "squares" that was so prevalent in those days. I see from Peter's book Jazz Visions that Lennie continued in like mode in his Harrogate hotel that evening. :lol:

• 2 years later...