Swedish Jazz Anyone??

garthsj

I have always been a sucker for Swedish Jazz for some weird reason ... ever since a cousin gave me a 10" (on Prestige!!) album by Lars Gullin back in the mid-1950s just when I had started collecting jazz. Over the years I picked up bits and pieces, especially the stuff featuring visiting American musicians like Brownie, Getz, Konitz, and others. Three years ago I purchased the fabulous 9-CD set, "Jazz in Sweden: 1949-1961" which was a mammoth reissue of the (Swedish) Metronome label offerings. Some amazing stuff there. Now, several weeks ago I made another impulse investment and purchased the equally great last four volumes (6-9) of the ambitious "Swedish Jazz History" Series put out for the Svensk Jazzhistoria by Caprice Records. It took me quite a while to find a dealer who could supply these without totally having to mortgage the old homestead, but lo and behold, Cadence were able to supply them at a decent price. I am now through volume 6 and working on volume 7 ... a mixed bag, definitely, but lots of very good stuff, and some outright gems. .... And it satisfies my desire for the arcana of early bop/modern jazz. Highly recommended for those looking for something just a little different ...

Here is the list of the entire series, taken from a British site, whose prices are very "pricey" ...

NEW> 28238 : SWEDISH JAZZ - ERNST ROLF'S JAZZ BANK / HELGE LINDBERG'S CRYSTAL BAND / SWEDISH PARAMOUNT ORCHESTRA... : SWEDISH JAZZ HISTORY VOL.1 - JAZZ WARNING - (THE 1920's) : CAPRICE : £20.00 : 2

NEW> 28239 : SWEDISH JAZZ - BENNY CARTER / NISSE LIND / ARNE HUPHERS : SWEDISH JAZZ HISTORY VOL.2 - THE "HOT" EPOCH - (1931-1936) : CAPRICE : £20.00 : 2

NEW> 28240 : SWEDISH JAZZ - NISSE LIND / THORE EHRLING / ALICE BABS / CHARLES REDLAND / ARNE HUPHERS / SAM SAMSON : SWEDISH JAZZ HISTORY VOL.3 - RHYTHM & SWING - (1937-1939) : CAPRICE : £20.00 : 2

NEW> 28241 : SWEDISH JAZZ - ALICE BABS / ARNE DOMNERUS / ROLF ERICSON / SVEN STIBERG / THORE EHRLING / CHARLES REDLAND : SWEDISH JAZZ HISTORY VOL.4 - WARTIME SWING - (1940-1942) : CAPRICE : £20.00 : 2

NEW> 28242 : SWEDISH JAZZ - ALICE BABS / THORE EHRLING / GOSTA TORNER / EMIL IRWING / SEYMOUR OSTERWALL : SWEDISH JAZZ HISTORY VOL.5 - JAZZ ATTACKS ! - (1943-1947) : CAPRICE : £20.00 : 2

19533 : SWEDISH JAZZ - PUTTE WICKMAN / BENGT HALLBERG / STAN GETZ / ROY ELDRIDGE / LARS GULLIN / JAMES MOODY / ALICE BABS... : SWEDISH JAZZ HISTORY VOL.6 - CREAM OF THE CROP - (1947-1951) : CAPRICE : £20.00 : 3

25358 : SWEDISH JAZZ - LARS GULLIN / ARNE DOMNÉRUS / BENGT HALLBERG etc. : SWEDISH JAZZ HISTORY VOL.7 - THE GOLDEN YEARS - (1952-1955) : CAPRICE : £20.00 : 3

25108 : SWEDISH JAZZ - ARNE DOMNÉRUS / BENGT HALLBERG / STAN GETZ / LARS GULLIN / QUINCY JONES / ERNESTINE ANDERSON / JAN JOHANSON / PUTTE WICKMAN... : SWEDISH JAZZ HISTORY VOL.8 - TOPSY THEME - (1956-1959) : CAPRICE : £20.00 : 3

NEW> 28220 : SWEDISH JAZZ - NILS LINDBERG / BERNT ROSENGREN : SWEDISH JAZZ HISTORY VOL.9 - (1960-1964) : CAPRICE : £28.00 : 4

Garth.

Edited by garthsj

Since you are into Swedish jazz, do you have any idea where I can locate a copy of Bernt Rosengren's The Improvisationer? A friend made me a cassette of that LP about a year ago and I have been desperately trying to find it ever since. The music is terrific, but its not the best sounding of cassettes.

There are also some contemporary musicians on the Swedish scene that are worth hearing. One of my favorites is Fredrik Nordstrom who has recorded several excellent recordings, the most recent being a cooperative group known as Dog Out.

Edited by relyles

I probably have a couple of dozen Swedish jazz CD's in my collection, mostly on the Dragon label. This is real deal...these guys can play with the best. Lars Gullin and Arne Domnerus are probably the two most recognizable names, but there are all kinds of lesser known guys who are top of the line players. If you want to take the plunge into Swedish jazz, I dare say you will not be disappointed.

Up over and out.

I discovered volume 9 of the Swedish Jazz series (the 1960-1964 one) on Caprice a few months ago and found it delightful with lots of very exciting tracks. The caliber of the musicianship blew me away. I knew that people like Lars Gullin, Arne Domnerus, Jan Johansson or Bengt Hallberg were very creative musicians but I could not imagine the diversity and the quality of jazz players in Sweden. Had heard praise for Bernt Rosengren but this set was my introduction to him. I'm a convert now looking for more Rosengren.

This has been my only box from the series so far but I will be looking for some more of these boxes. Volume 9 is very highly recommended.

• 18 years later...
4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Does anyone have any views on the Jazz I Sverige series? They show up a lot on discogs,  and all have beautiful painted covers.

Good and cheap -- Rena Rama, Maffy Falay, Björn Alke, Tommy Koverhult, Iskra, Förklädd Gud are all filed. Pretty diverse range of music from post-bop to very free.

I think you need to check out the Club Jazz series too, inexpensive and interesting sessions. https://www.discogs.com/label/502546-Club-Jazz

Rosengren is generally awesome... the Improvisationer LP mentioned above is strong, definitely not audiophile but worth checking out. Stockholm Dues is incredible, as are Notes from Underground and Fly Me To The Sun.

Börje Fredriksson has a dedicated thread on here somewhere. He's great, sort of akin to Bill Barron IMO.

Eje Thelin, like Rosengren, has a rich discography that goes from bop to avant-garde.

I tend to go for the freer stuff -- GL Unit, Bengt "Frippe" Nordstrom, Staffan Harde, Göteborgs Musikvartett, Lokomotiv Konkret, Gush -- pretty interesting universe of free music coming out of the country during the 70s and 80s, and not just out of the Don Cherry-adjascent scene (although that is a big part of it).