Let's Hear it for the Byrds

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I'm a day late but given the prices you mention I'd definitely pick up Echoes for 9.95. Its got all of the Gosdin Brothers album pictured above plus some Byrds stuff written by Clark and a couple of rarities. White Light too is excellent.

I like the Byrds a lot though hadn't listened for ages and recently picked up the untitled album. The cover of Lowell Georges' Willin is fantastic and makes me think that I should pick up some of that?

Any ideas where to start there?

(Oh and I've always love Chestnut Mare...)

I too love this period of the Byrds. I feel this era has been unfairly neglected by most. Clarence White alone is worth listening to, but some of the songs are great too. However, Untitled is the best of this lineup, so you only go down from there. Ballad of Easy Rider is almost as good (it's only fault to me is that it is too short), and I really enjoy Dr Byrds and Mr Hyde in places. The two that came after are worth hearing but they suffer gravely from the unfortunate decision at the time to allow Skip Battin to contribute some songs. His songs are some of the absolute worst, hokiest crap I have ever heard. The Byrds doing novelty, with reference to Fatty Arbuckle!! McGuinn's and Parsons and White's songs are all good though, so if you can find Byrdmaniax and Farther Along for a low price I'd recommend getting them. Just skip the novelties!

• 9 months later...

Been listening today to the awesome YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY, which brought me back to this thread. In the meantime a Gene Clark comp has come out, though I find it a tad disappointing; still might be a good pickup for someone interested in his work with the Byrds:

Set You Free This Time

I think "Mind Gardens" is pretty cool, actually... and "C.T.A.-102" would've been a decent Byrds tune if they hadn't put in that crappy "alien-speak" part.

I did a fun show with a Byrds tribute band a couple of weeks ago, on trumpet. I got to play on 3 tunes; "So you Want to be a Rock-n-Roll Star", and 2 others whose titles I'm fuzzy on. Man, those guys had some great tunes!!! We'll be hitting it again in the near future, if anyone in puddle-town is interested.

I did a fun show with a Byrds tribute band a couple of weeks ago, on trumpet. I got to play on 3 tunes; "So you Want to be a Rock-n-Roll Star", and 2 others whose titles I'm fuzzy on. Man, those guys had some great tunes!!! We'll be hitting it again in the near future, if anyone in puddle-town is interested.

That's great Matt! I'd love to hear you guys. :tup

Been listening today to the awesome YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY, which brought me back to this thread.  In the meantime a Gene Clark comp has come out, though I find it a tad disappointing; still might be a good pickup for someone interested in his work with the Byrds:

Set You Free This Time

I think "Mind Gardens" is pretty cool, actually... and "C.T.A.-102" would've been a decent Byrds tune if they hadn't put in that crappy "alien-speak" part.

I'm a huge Gene Clark fan too. I think any Byrds fan owes it to themselves to get of copy of his album with the Gosdin Brothers or the Echoes compilation that legacy put out (which contains this album plus some other goodies). I'd also recommend the first album by the Dillard and Clark Expedition. This is one of my favorite albums ever. It's one of the reasons I got into bluegrass and play banjo.

B00005M9CR.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I always was a big fan of Crosby in the Byrds. His songs were my favorites. Younger Than Yesterday is great with "Everybody's Been Burned" and I also love Chris Hillman's songs on that album. I think this album is fantastic.

I think Younger Than Yesterday and the Notorious Byrds Brothers are the peak for the band. I like most of the stuff of 5D, but I think the two subsequent albums are stronger. I know Crosby's involvement with the NBB was limited, but I think this is my favorite Byrds album.

B000002AHC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

After Sweetheart of the Rodeo I really stick with the Byrds because of Clarence White's contribution. After the departure of Clark, Crosby and Hillman, McGuinn showed that althought he was the original focal point of the band, he wasn't all the talent.

As a guitar player, Clarence White is one of my real heroes. He's been a great influence on my playing and I also play a guitar with a B-String bender like the one he used. I've been listening to his work with the Byrds and the Kentucky Colonials for years and have really enjoyed the compilations put out by Big Beat Records covering the Bakersfield label. It's fun to watch White's growth as an electric guitarist. CW also made a great contribution to Younger Than Yesterday and The Notorious Byrds Brothers.

B00008IUWD.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I think if I've been influenced the most by any band (apart from the Beatles), I'd have to say it was the Byrds. I've been playing 12 string electric guitar since I was sixteen, I play banjo because of the bluegrass influence of the group. I love jazz and it was because of the solo on "Eight Miles High" that I purchased Coltrane's Africa/Brass which had influenced it. The Byrds also were my door into loving country music. It's pretty amazing when I look back at the influence they've had on me.

:rsmile:

Edited by AfricaBrass

• 2 years later...

The Byrds were at their very best when Gene Clark was there. Period.

Not quite sure if I agree with that, but I've come to believe that Clark's solo work is a fantastic gold mine of great music, he is still so underrated, most of his solo work you can only get import.

Has anyone heard the actual Beefeaters 45? How different are those takes from the so-called "alternate takes" that are on various Preflyte collections?

To my ears, the 45 and the so-called "alternate takes" are identical. I suspect that they may have been so identified for copyright reasons.

Has anyone heard the actual Beefeaters 45? How different are those takes from the so-called "alternate takes" that are on various Preflyte collections?

To my ears, the 45 and the so-called "alternate takes" are identical. I suspect that they may have been so identified for copyright reasons.

They sound the same to me also. The Beefeaters 45 sides are on the newer of the Byrds Box sets, 'There Is A Season', also on a CD of obscure Elektra 60's single sides which Collector's Choice put out a few years ago. The entire Pre-Flyte Sessions 2CD set is a wonderful listen (and read) if you are a fan. And I'm a huge one. On my bulletin board at work (I'm looking at it right now), I have a review of the first box set, 'The Byrds', written by Steve Simels, which appeared in the February 1991 Stereo Review. He summed it up well when he wrote "...there are moments in 'The Byrds' - the majestic Middle section of "Bells of Rhymney", the wordless finale of "Goin' Back", the solos in "Eight Miles High" - when I think I might be hearing the most beautiful music in the world. On reflection, of course, I realize that's hyperbole, but at other times, even as I type these words, I'm not always so sure."

Edited by felser

Thanks all for the Beefeaters info.

I have that 2 CD Preflyte set, and yes, it's terrific.

I respect everyone's opinions regarding the various lineups, but I do truly believe they were their best with Gene Clark, and feel that his contributions to that group were underappreciated. None of the others could touch him as a songwriter, although they all contributed good songs at various points.

Not having heard everything by Gene Clark, I'm not sure that he was ever better than he was with the Byrds. I like the Gosdin Brothers album quite a bit, though, especially in mono.

The Dylan covers, for me, are the low point of those early records, despite however groundbreaking they may have been at the time. It's ironic that my favorite Dylan cover of theirs was the one that remained in the can until the box set.

All this said, "Younger than Yesterday" is nearly a flawless record. Both "5th Dimension" and "Notorious" have their moments also.

Thanks all for the Beefeaters info.

I have that 2 CD Preflyte set, and yes, it's terrific.

I respect everyone's opinions regarding the various lineups, but I do truly believe they were their best with Gene Clark, and feel that his contributions to that group were underappreciated. None of the others could touch him as a songwriter, although they all contributed good songs at various points.

Not having heard everything by Gene Clark, I'm not sure that he was ever better than he was with the Byrds. I like the Gosdin Brothers album quite a bit, though, especially in mono.

The Dylan covers, for me, are the low point of those early records, despite however groundbreaking they may have been at the time. It's ironic that my favorite Dylan cover of theirs was the one that remained in the can until the box set.

All this said, "Younger than Yesterday" is nearly a flawless record. Both "5th Dimension" and "Notorious" have their moments also.

I'm with you on the preference for the Gene Clark era. Ironic that both the Byrds and Clark went country after Clark left. 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo' doesn't do much for me, and I always found 'And the Gosdin Brothers' to be something of a disappointment (admittedly my expectations were through the ceiling). The Byrds with Clark and Crosby and the Byrds post 'Notorious' were two TOTALLY different experiences, can't even really compare them per se. One thing shocking on your list of album commendations - where is 'Mr. Tambourine Man'? That's THE album, especially in terms of Gene Clark. 'Younger Than Yesterday' is far from flawless ("Mind Gardens", anyone?), but is utterly brilliant in places. "Renaissance Fair" is about the most perfectly realized performance I've ever heard. "Dimension" has "Eight Miles High", "John Riley", and tons of other highlights, though also some filler. 'Notorious' is weak in places, but the whole is so much greater than the sum of the parts due to the seamless production, and "Goin' Back" is utterly gorgeous. 'Turn Turn Turn' has a lot of filler, but has the title cut (which, somehow, I've never gotten tired of) and 'The World Turns All Around Her', which are stunning. And why didn't the put the beautiful "She Has A Way" on there, instead of their teenybopper version of "the Times They Are A-Changin'"?

'v

...One thing shocking on your list of album commendations - where is 'Mr. Tambourine Man'? That's THE album, especially in terms of Gene Clark...

Agreed. I was simply addressing career highlights post-Gene Clark.

Preflyte, Tambourine, and Turn are all wonderful albums, despite some filler and phoned-in Dylan covers.

It just goes to show how listeners can differ widely in their reactions. The Gene Clark contributions to the early Byrds albums have always left me cold. I have never understood the excitement about him.

To me, it is a shame that McGuinn could not sustain the creativity, and skill at playing guitar, evidenced on the albums from 5D through Notorious Byrd Brothers. I realize that many rock stars of that time had a fairly short career peak and then a decline into mediocrity or worse. But McGuinn seemed to have more potential talent and guitar playing ability than many.

It just goes to show how listeners can differ widely in their reactions. The Gene Clark contributions to the early Byrds albums have always left me cold. I have never understood the excitement about him.

To me, it is a shame that McGuinn could not sustain the creativity, and skill at playing guitar, evidenced on the albums from 5D through Notorious Byrd Brothers. I realize that many rock stars of that time had a fairly short career peak and then a decline into mediocrity or worse. But McGuinn seemed to have more potential talent and guitar playing ability than many.

See McGuinn live some time if you get a chance. At least as of about three years ago, he was still a monster on 12 string. After thinking I'd go to the grave without ever seeing him live, I saw him three times since Y2K. Ends his shows (which are solo and very eclectic) with a long long 'Eight Miles High'. He was a victim of the industry in the 70's, then basically just checked out to live his life and sustain his marriage. Gotta respect that. He is also very dedicated to preserving folk music. Gotta respect that, too, I guess, but the Folk Den stuff is not an easy listen when you know the other things he could be doing. BTW, he answers emails - I've emailed him twice, received answers both times.

See McGuinn live some time if you get a chance. At least as of about three years ago, he was still a monster on 12 string. After thinking I'd go to the grave without ever seeing him live, I saw him three times since Y2K. Ends his shows (which are solo and very eclectic) with a long long 'Eight Miles High'. He was a victim of the industry in the 70's, then basically just checked out to live his life and sustain his marriage. Gotta respect that. He is also very dedicated to preserving folk music. Gotta respect that, too, I guess, but the Folk Den stuff is not an easy listen when you know the other things he could be doing. BTW, he answers emails - I've emailed him twice, received answers both times.

That's very good to know.

I saw McGuinn on the Tonight Show within the last few years of its existence, and he played some excellent guitar. It was a very loud performance, I remember, a hard rock song. After it, Johnny Carson did not invite him over to the couch. He instead yelled out, "Roger! Rog! Good stuff, Rog!"

I love the first two Byrds albums, with a few exceptions. Never got why they did "Oh Susannah" on "T T T", but overall these are fine albums, and I like the Dylan covers, especially their superb version of "Chimes of Freedom". They had to scramble somewhat after losing Gene Clark, and "5D" does contain some filler, but "Younger Than Yesterday", is, imo, a brilliant album. Nice to have it on CD, so I can skip "Mind Gardens". :rolleyes:

I saw Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson last week - these guys are singing better than ever. Worth checking out if they come to your town. Chris even pulled out "Have You Seen Her Face"!!!