Charles Lloyd Quartet - Swiss Radio Days Jazz 46

mjzee

3 hours ago, felser said:

That album was my introduction to Lloyd ca. 1972/1973 courtesy of the Norristown/Montgomery County Public Library.  They also had the amazing 'El Pampero' by Gato Barbieri - those two albums left a lasting impression on me.  Can't remember what other jazz albums I borrowed from there, but they had several.

Listening to 'In the Soviet Union' now and enjoying a lot, despite Jarrett overplaying at points.

All power to the public library system, my introduction to lots of Jazz.

I went on to work in public libraries for 16 years ending up being the music buyer - lots more Jazz :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

Listening to 'In the Soviet Union' now and enjoying a lot, despite Jarrett overplaying at points.

All power to the public library system, my introduction to lots of Jazz.

I went on to work in public libraries for 16 years ending up being the music buyer - lots more Jazz :D

A true public servant. I applaud your work :tup

I've been listening to Notes From Big Sur this AM. Well recorded, well played and very enjoyable. 90s jazz at its finest.  

And now I'm streaming the Swiss Radio Days release this thread highlights. Very very good. 

640x640.jpg

Anyone know any background information on this release? Looks to be new but I can't find any info on label, personnel, etc. anywhere. Streaming selections available online and tracklist includes live performances from '82, '89, '90, & '93. So far the '82 track I'm playing, "Serena Sugar" is excellent. Definitely want to know more about this one. 

On 11/1/2022 at 9:16 AM, JSngry said:

The Chico Hamilton records with the Lloyd/Gabor Szabo "front line" couple with Lloyd's first Columbia records very nicely, imo.

Yes these are really good. And the two albums w/Cannonball.

On 11/1/2022 at 2:55 PM, Dub Modal said:

Streaming Discovery! now which is a Columbia album and his debut. I definitely hear the Trane influence. Wow. I definitely much prefer his later stuff where he has his own voice. 

That’s funny, I think he sounds less like Trane in these early recordings than from the 1980s onward - the influences of Sonny Rollins and Ornette Coleman were much more obvious early on

Lloyd's coming to Portsmouth, NH tomorrow and I'm skipping it. First off, he's bringing his trio and I'm not digging his latest trio work but the clincher is that it's $100/ticket. I don't know how this new club is going to make it if they keep charging prices like this. The show tomorrow night isn't sold out yet and I think the ticket price is the main reason.

Even though this club is only ~20 minutes from my house, I've skipped quite a few shows because of their high ticket prices. I guess I'll still be making the trip to Boston for most shows.

49 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That is a high price. I paid £50 at Ronnie Scott's but was pleased to do so to see him in a small club. Pretty sure I'd pass on $100 too and I like the new trio albums mostly 

Bring back the days of £2 weekday student admission !

Best seating in the house for the youngsters per Ronnie’s instruction too !

I think it was about £35 midweek when I was last there a few years ago. Haven’t been tempted back by anything (it was pre pandemic).

Last time I saw Charles Lloyd was in Cheltenham Town Hall but I also remember seeing him at Carnegie Hall at a Trane tribute which also had Elvin’s band and McCoy’s trio. Bobo Stenson was on piano I think.

Edited by sidewinder

22 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That is a high price. I paid £50 at Ronnie Scott's but was pleased to do so to see him in a small club. Pretty sure I'd pass on $100 too and I like the new trio albums mostly 

The show is tonight and there are still quite a few tickets. Now I'm seeing that the price has dropped on those remaining seats to $95. I thought that they were $150/ticket initially but when I went the other day, they were $100.

I've never seen a club use variable ticket pricing like this before. Are other clubs doing this now? I've seen clubs offer discounted tickets on the day of the show as well as discounted tickets to Berklee students, but never had one use a sliding scale based on sales. I imagine those that paid $150/ticket aren't thrilled. :)