Unauthorized YouTube postings of my titles

Chuck Nessa

I can see Roosters point. As I stated before it is a common way to decide if you are going to buy a record or not. When you are able to listen to one whole song it says so much more than a sample of 30 seconds. It has convinced me a lot of times to buy a record when I was doubting first. After all: in a record store you sometimes try a few complete songs first too :) 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Pim said:

I can see Roosters point. As I stated before it is a common way to decide if you are going to buy a record or not. When you are able to listen to one whole song it says so much more than a sample of 30 seconds. It has convinced me a lot of times to buy a record when I was doubting first. After all: in a record store you sometimes try a few complete songs first too :) 

Actually the problem is that record stores - providing this service - are a shrinking minority .....

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I almost never buy an album without listening to it in its entirety first. 

50 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

Blindly buying an album in a record store is one of my favorite things to do. 

When we were younger (back in the 60s or 70s), that's what we'd do. I remember you could listen to a cut or two but for the most part you'd buy an album on reputation (e.g., Stones, Beatles, etc.), word of mouth or on a whim. I prefer those days. 

Fewer record stores + tighter control of inventory contributes to a near-extinction of the "cutout bin", which was often where you could do a lot of exploring for very little money.

I'm fully aware of the impact that budget has on ability/willingness to explore more or less blindly. But even with that in mind, sometimes I think you just gotta go there to see if you can get there. If you hear enough about something and it sounds like you might like it, hey, use your chips, take a few dips, see if that snack leads to a meal. If not, walk around the block a few times.

I don't usually buy a record because I know I'm going to like it. I usually buy a record because I want to hear it and live with it for an hour/day/week/month/year/lifetime or two. THEN I decide if I like it or not.

29 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Back in the 90s when I arrived there was a chain of Music Traders all over San Diego where you could buy used CDs for $8.99.

And see, a gentleman of my age remembers when the list price for a new LP bumped up to $8.99 and there was almost a consumer revolt!

I distinctly recall building the bulk of my "classic" ECM collection (music which I liked well enough, but not enough to buy at regular price) at $2.99 per LP when WB(?) dropped their distribution deal. Excess inventory abounded, and into the cutout bins they went, priced to move. And at those prices, there were some titles I was less than familiar with, that, oh well, sure, why not, carpe dies, right?

I'm buying shit blind all the time these days, but it's classical records (99% used, LPs and CDs). I've acquired a basic-enough awareness of names, places, and labels to gladly drop  a couple of bucks per platter and having no idea if I'm actually going to like it or not. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, sometimes I'm not sure.

It feels a lot like I felt as a teenager/young adult buying any and all jazz records that were there (and that I could afford), learning along the way, and, especially, the thrill of hearing great, unfamiliar music that I don't yet have a real backstory to/for. Love it when that happens.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Back in the 90s when I arrived there was a chain of Music Traders all over San Diego where you could buy used CDs for $8.99. The cool thing was that they always managed to get a lot of practically new cut-outs, so they had a great selection. Even better they had about eight CD players with Sennheiser headphones where you could stand and listen to whatever you wanted all day. Between the Music Traders and Tower Records I spent many an hour loitering and many a dollar on CDs. 

I seem to remember when I was a teenager and living in Barcelona that there were listening rooms where you could sample a cut or two from records. 

Hell, I watched a Perry Mason the other night where there was a record store that had listening rooms with turntables AND reel-to-reel decks! I vaguely remember that some stores would let you listen to an entire record in those rooms. That was before LPs were sealed, surely.

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'm buying shit blind all the time these days, but it's classical records (99% used, LPs and CDs). I've acquired a basic-enough awareness of names, places, and labels to gladly drop  a couple of bucks per platter and having no idea if I'm actually going to like it or not. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, sometimes I'm not sure.

It feels a lot like I felt as a teenager/young adult buying any and all jazz records that were there (and that I could afford), learning along the way, and, especially, the thrill of hearing great, unfamiliar music that I don't yet have a real backstory to/for. Love it when that happens.

Besides the money concern, CDs I don't like can't be kept in my living room. And I don't have enough storage space to keep CDs and books that disappointed for long. Shipping from the Netherlands is expensive, so I hardly sell on eBay anymore. Only expensive items are worth the effort.

Storage space is mostly filled by old Blue Note CD masterings and duplicate Iain M. Banks Culture books. Otherwise it's straight to the garbage/recycling bin.

Edited by erwbol

9 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Besides the money concern, CDs I don't like can't be kept in my living room. And I don't have enough storage space to keep CDs and books that disappointed for long. Shipping from the Netherlands is expensive, so I hardly sell on eBay anymore. Only expensive items are worth the effort.

Storage space is mostly filled by old Blue Note CD masterings and duplicate Iain M. Banks Culture books. Otherwise it's straight to the garbage/recycling bin.

That is so wasteful.  Surely you could find someone to take unwanted stuff off of your hands.

10 minutes ago, Justin V said:

That is so wasteful.  Surely you could find someone to take unwanted stuff off of your hands.

I have given away some old jazz CDs to family, but they can only listen to straight ahead stuff. There is no way to sell music and books offline without being ripped off.

Just now, erwbol said:

I have given away some old jazz CDs to family, but they can only listen to straight ahead stuff. There is no way to sell music and books offline without being ripped off.

So, it is better to chuck things in the garbage rather than sell them at a lower price than you'd like? :unsure:

When I get a stack of unliked LPs of no "collectable" value, I just take them to Goodwill. It's deductible, if you want it to be. CDs too, although I still like to find real homes for those, if possible. But a $2 LP that I bought just to hear it once because I might like it, or just to hear what it was (because there are still a lot of things that I really can't tell what the might actually be, apart from a broad-est stereotype of "genre"), those things I have do problem returning to the wild for some other hunter-gatherer to encounter. Catch-and-release record collecting!

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

I am done buying records blindly in most cases. If I cannot preview at least one or two complete tracks for free on the internet, I won't buy a new release. I will never pay for such a privilege. I make an exception for Nessa.

The problem is 30 second clips are allowed for free - anything longer and you have to pay the music publisher.

7 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Wasteful with a side of spiteful.  Alrighty. 

You just don't understand the situation here. There is simply nobody to sell to. No interested parties.

There used to be a chain of second hand book stores in the Netherlands and Belgium called De Slegte which went bankrupt a few years ago. Now there are only a couple of stores left in certain cities under that name, but their formula might have changed.

Anyway, when there was still one in Haarlem I once tried to bring them a stash of as new English hardcovers, good recent titles, nothing obscure. I wasn't expecting to get much. The person working at the counter where people could offer their books for sale was incredibly rude and dismissive and only after much drama agreed to take my books from me for a pittance. I really should have told him to go fuck himself and just left, but I was taken aback by the whole thing.

We Dutch have a reputation as misers which is completely deserved. Never buy second hand from a Dutchman, for example on Discogs. It's highly likely the object is (highly) overgraded. I have stopped buying from Dutch sellers altogether, a dishonest lot. I'd rather import for a few Euros shipping extra. There are exceptions of course, like myself, but we are few and far between.

You're probably going to react negatively to that last paragraph as well, but so be it.

Jeez I wish I had the budget to have blind picking as a hobby. Unfortunately for me it is a very serious consideration in what to buy and what to let go. A possibility to try the album first is very helpful to me. 

oh and Erwbol: just pass them to me 😜 just let me know when you throw them away and I will stand aside your trashbin 👍😉

Edited by Pim

I’ll be in the process of packing up a box or two of CD’s that I’m no longer interested to listen to. I have no idea of what to do with them. I’d love to donate them to someone or somewhere. Not sure what way to go.

I’ve recently started streaming on Tidal (for the high quality sound and seemingly large selection) so I’ll be only be buying non-streaming CD releases (labels like No Business, Relative Pitch and a few others - some or all Firehouse 12 or Pi recordings are not on Tidal) but I’ve always bought 95% plus of my CD’s unheard. 

9 minutes ago, Pim said:

oh and Erwbol: just pass them to me 😜 just let me know when you throw them away and I will stand aside your trashbin 👍😉

I'm about to throw away all my threadbare undershirts and boxer shorts with holes in them. Are you perhaps interested in getting a heads up?

Edited by erwbol