BFT 187 - Reveal!

mjzee

Thanks to all who participated.

Track 1: Mike LeDonne, “They Long To Be Close To You” (Bacharach, David).  Mike LeDonne, Hammond B-3; Eric Alexander, tenor sax; Peter Bernstein, guitar; Joe Farnsworth, drums.  11/5/03.  From the album “Smokin' Out Loud” (Savant).  It’s got this great groove, which comes from these guys working together in different combinations for so long.  I also just like happy music; I love what they do with this sappy song.  I’ve never heard LeDonne on piano, but I doubt it could bring me the pleasure that this does.

R-5331450-1390745490-3058.jpeg.jpg

Track 2: Karrin Allyson, "Feel Like Makin' Love” (Eugene McDaniels).  Karrin Allyson, vocals, perc, keyboards; Gil Goldstein, keyboards and arrangement; Paul Smith, keyboards; Danny Embrey, guitar; Rod Fleeman, guitar; Bob Bowman, bass; Todd Strait, drums.  December 13-16, 2003.  From the album “Wild For You” (Concord).  She’s got this wonderful, sensuous voice, and the message it conveys…a combination of apprehension and fatality, but then it resolves into when she’s happy and content (“That’s the time…”).  All props to Gil Goldstein’s arrangement.

R-2726340-1522430531-4619.jpeg.jpg

Track 3: Barbara Carroll, “My Funny Valentine” (Rodgers, Hart).  Barbara Carroll, piano; Dante Martucci, bass; Herb Wasserman, drums.  11/9/51.  From the album “The Erteguns' New York: New York Cabaret Music” (Atlantic).  The start of four tracks focusing on the piano.  There’s something formal and elegant about this, but it’s very solid underneath.  She hits all the right notes.  It’s actually a very beautiful performance, and if I were hearing this in a noisy but elegant nightclub, I’d be wishing the audience would tone it down so I could better hear the pianist.

R-6010474-1408740061-2156.jpeg.jpg

Track 4: Junior Mance, “A Night In Tunisia” (Gillespie, Paparelli).  Junior Mance, piano.  January 1992.  From the album “Here ’Tis” (Sackville).  Another beautiful performance, wistful and elegiac, thinking back to older, more wonderful times, thinking of a night in Tunisia, thinking of an interlude.  The album this was taken from is pretty wonderful, both in conception and in execution: a band consisting of flute, guitar, piano, bass and drums performing Dizzy Gillespie compositions.  Not at all what you might expect.

R-11241117-1512556056-6987.jpeg.jpg

Track 5: Abdullah Ibrahim, “Memories Of You” (Blake, Razaf).  Abdullah Ibrahim, piano; Kippie Moeketsi, alto sax.  1971.  From the album “African Sun” (Camden; originally on Kaz).  This tune must have had a profound impact on Ibrahim, as he’s recorded it many times over his career.  This is a particularly strong version, owing to Kippie Moeketsi’s impassioned delivery.  All of Ibrahim’s South African recordings are delights.

R-3960020-1350580091-3775.jpeg.jpg

Track 6: The Great Jazz Trio, “Lover Come Back to Me” (Romberg, Hammerstein II).  Hank Jones, piano; John Patitucci, bass; Jack DeJohnette, drums.  June 4 & 5, 2004.  From the album “'S Wonderful” (441).  Here you have John Patitucci doing his best Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette channeling his inner Tony Williams, and Hank Jones being his own sweet self.  I like listening to standards, especially played by the masters.  Jones was 85 when this was recorded, not that it matters.

R-2048894-1261539572.jpeg.jpg

Track 7: Sal Salvador, “Sometime Ago” (Sergio Mihanovich).  Eddie Bert, trombone; Nick Brignola, baritone sax; Sal Salvador, guitar; Derek Smith, piano; Sam Jones, bass; Mel Lewis, drums.  3/24/78.  From the album “Starfingers” (Bee Hive); also available on Mosaic’s “The Complete Bee Hive Sessions.”  Lovely music: melodic, driving, smart.  These guys are so good…the Mosaic Bee Hive box really made me appreciate Salvador (his Blue Note EP from the ’50’s is pretty damn good too).  Trombone, bari, and guitar blend so well together, and with a great rhythm section, it’s just about all you need.

R-3994149-1351702310-1000.jpeg.jpg

Track 8: Milt Jackson, “Impressions” (John Coltrane).  Milt Jackson, vibes; Monty Alexander, piano; Ray Brown, bass; Mickey Roker, drums.  4/23-24/82.  From the album “A London Bridge” (Pablo).  The stumper!  But really, who’s the 800-lb. elephant in the room?  None other than big Bags!  That tone is so identifiable, but maybe y’all just forgot how hard he could burn.  Bags was always contemporary; Trane’s “Impressions” couldn’t phase him.  This album’s one of three that were recorded at an engagement at Ronnie Scott’s.  All three are highly recommended.

R-1619329-1446793512-7556.jpeg.jpg

Track 9: Earl Bostic and his Orchestra, “Cherokee” (Ray Noble).  Blue Mitchell (tp) Earl Bostic (as) Ray Felder (ts) Gene Redd (vib) Joe Knight (p) Mickey Baker (g) Ike Isaacs (b) George Brown (d) Bill Williams (vcl).  12/17/52.  Originally on King; from the album “The Earl Bostic Collection 1939-59” (Acrobat).  The segue being the vibes.  More happy music.  As I get older, I wanna listen to fewer geniuses and more guys like this.  But listen underneath the rockin’ tone, and you get great melodicism and spirit, and that guy’s all over his sax!  Thanks to Jim Sangrey for pointing me to this one.

R-10157324-1492727090-1488.jpeg.jpg

Track 10: Ed Cherry, “Joe's Thing” (Jay Collins).  Ed Cherry, guitars; Joe Ford, sax; Lonnie Smith, organ; Nasheet Waits, drums.  9/11/00.  From the album “The Spirits Speak” (Justin Time).  Ed Cherry was Dizzy’s guitarist for a decade.  I became aware of him one New Year’s Eve in the mid-90’s in Montclair, NJ.  Montclair was hosting a series of First Night events throughout the small city.  I wandered into a bank that held its lobby open for the evening, where Ed Cherry and a flautist were playing carols (I think Vic Juris played at another location).  I was impressed, and have bought a few of his albums.

71o5kVkJukL._SL1096_.jpg

Track 11: Rufus Harley, “Eight Miles High” (McGuinn, Crosby, Clark).  Rufus Harley, bagpipes; Richard Tee, piano; Eric Gale, guitar; Charles Rainey, bass; Jimmy Johnson, drums; Montego Joe, conga drum.  September 10-12 & 17, 1969.  From the album “King/Queens” (Atlantic); also available on the album "Courage: The Atlantic Recordings.”  As many noted, the one, the only Rufus Harley!  A driving groove, fascinating arrangement, and, of course, bagpipes.

R-14172988-1569224830-4268.jpeg.jpg

Track 12: Nino Tempo & April Stevens, “I Love How You Love Me” (Mann, Kolber).  1965.  From the album "Where The Action Is!: Los Angeles Nuggets 1965-1968” (Rhino).  More bagpipes (this time by Dan Hood).  I would love to have been a fly on the wall at the production session: “I like the track, but it needs something extra… I know!  Bagpipes!”  Yeah, that’s the ticket.

R-2067890-1262119311.jpeg.jpg

Track 13: Frank Zappa, “Dance Me This” (Zappa).  Frank Zappa, guitar, Synclavier realization; Anatolii Kuular, Kaigl-Ool Khovalyg, Kongar-Ool Ondar, vocals; Todd Yvega, algorithm and Synclavier assistance.  1993.  From the album “Dance Me This” (Zappa).  From the last album Zappa recorded before his untimely demise.  The vocals are by a trio of throat singers from Tuva in southern Siberia.  Sometimes you just need to hear some Zappa.

R-7163317-1435275734-4635.jpeg.jpg

Track 14: Roy Wood’s Wizzard, "Rob Roy's Nightmare (A Bit More H.A.)” (Mike Burney).  1972-3.  From the extended version re-release of “Wizzard Brew” (EMI).  Not much to say about this; it was from a time when “rock” could encompass anything and everything.  “Anything and everything” pretty much describes Roy Wood.

51riy2eBlZL.jpg

Track 15: Herbie Mann, “The Blues Walk” (Clifford Brown).  Herbie Mann, flute; Durval Ferreira, guitar; Pedro Paulo, trumpet; Paulo Moura, alto sax; Sergio Mendes, piano; Otavio Bailly Jr., bass; Dom Um Romao, drums.  October 1962.  From the album “Do The Bossa Nova With Herbie Mann” (Atlantic).  I’ve been listening to a lot of Herbie Mann lately, mainly because his catalog is so cheap these days!  Between those Collectibles two-fers and used LPs from Dusty Groove, you can cover a lot of ground with very little money.  It’s been a surprising experience for me, since I long associated Mann with those MORish semi-disco semi-light-listening albums from the mid-70’s.  The guy had an interesting mind, good technique, and wide range of interests.  Sometimes it’s not bad to follow every trend if you can extract good stuff from each.  This album, recorded during the bossa nova craze, was recorded in Rio with local musicians, and, in the midst of compositions by Jobim, Powell and de Moraes, they did a damn good version of Clifford Brown’s “The Blues Walk.”  You could do worse.

R-2867532-1532696356-8416.jpeg.jpg

Track 16: John Fahey, “Summertime” (Gershwin, Gershwin, Heyward).  John Fahey, guitar.  2000 - 2001.  From the album “Red Cross” (Revenant).  Although I generally frown on geniuses, John Fahey was a genius I approve of.  His conception was just amazing, and there’s gotta be a way his music can be characterized as jazz.

R-712568-1393164414-8211.jpeg.jpg

Track 17: Elvin Jones, “H.M. On F.M.” (Hank Mobley).  Thad Jones, trumpet; Hank Mobley, tenor sax; Abdullah Ibrahim, piano; Don Moore, bass; Elvin Jones, drums.  3/23/66.  From the album “Midnight Walk” (Atlantic); also on a Collectibles twofer.  A track that could’ve been on Blue Note, though it would’ve sounded a lot better had it been recorded by Rudy.  Hank, doing his Hank thing.  Add Thad, Elvin, and Ibrahim’s second appearance on this BFT, and you have something very nice indeed.

R-2453388-1284904694.jpeg.jpg

Wow, very interesting reveal! You're right, I can't believe nobody got Milt Jackson on track 8! I'm slapping my own forehead right now. Nice to know that was Ibrahim on track 5, I should have gotten that one. I think I even used to have that album.

Some great stuff here overall. Thanks for your efforts!

Oh yeah AbdulLah Ibrahim’s African Recordings. That is great stuff! 

sorry I did not attend. Promised myself because I pittied the low attendance with my BFT and now I have the lame excuse I really had no time... but I really hadn’t.