LF Stanley Turrentine CD - In Memory Of

felser

You might set up an auto-search on eBay, limited specially to search hits within the CD's category, and you can even limit the country(ies) of origin.  They'll automatically send you an email whenever one comes up for sale based on your specifications.

I've found a number of things that way, much more cheaply, long as I was patient enough -- i.e. 6 months or even a year.

I try not to get hung up on shipping charges. Public transport or putting gas in your car and paying for parking to go to the record store also costs way more than it used to.

When I started collecting jazz I could use public transport for free 24/7 as a student, so I could easily travel to both Amsterdam and The Hague.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

You might set up an auto-search on eBay, limited specially to search hits within the CD's category, and you can even limit the country(ies) of origin.  They'll automatically send you an email whenever one comes up for sale based on your specifications.

I've found a number of things that way, much more cheaply, long as I was patient enough -- i.e. 6 months or even a year.

I've never figured out how to do that!  I'm all for it, will need to do some google searching.  I wait years for a good price sometimes.

35 minutes ago, felser said:

I've never figured out how to do that!  I'm all for it, will need to do some google searching.  I wait years for a good price sometimes.

It's pretty easy.  Just log into eBay, do the search you want, and further restrict it to the media you want (CD), and then further restrict it to country/countries of origin (I think you can click more than one).  Then there's "save this search" button near the top of the search results (above the top item).  And I think(?) the default is to email you positive search results once a day matching that search.

You can go into "My eBay" and look at your saved searches, and see the settings for each search (and whether it's to email you, or sent you push-msgs via your smart-phone, etc.)  It helps to set your search carefully so you don't get any/many false hits -- but you also don't want to set it too tightly, so that it doesn't pick up any hits at all (if someone only lists the bare minimum of info).

I just set up an auto-search on "Charles Tolliver Mosaic Select" a couple moments ago, and I set it for US sellers only, with a maximum opening bid of $55 or less (so it doesn't pick up any of the $75-$100 or higher priced ones).  I don't actually need either of those Charles Tolliver selects myself, but if I ever ran across either of them cheap, I'd snap them up quickly, to give to someone (like if I found one for $50 or less - highly unlikely, I realize).

The way I have it set, I'll bet I don't get more than 10 emails a year, tops.  Took about 2 minutes to do, including confirming the settings.  Now that I know hiting that "save this search" button automatically emails me, I could set up another similar search on something else in 30 seconds probably.

EDIT:  One other thing.  eBay only emails you ONCE, the day that any new search hits are matched.  So you do NOT get daily emails about items out there over the course of the entire auction.  So like I said, you might only get 5 emails a year, once for each separate item that meets your search criteria (depending on how narrow you set the search).

Edited by Rooster_Ties