Randy Weston question

Milestones

I've discovered several videos on YouTube of Randy Weston playing at Montreux in 1985.  It's called "orchestra," but looks to be eight or nine players.  One of these is an old guy with a stogie who sometimes takes over the piano chair.

This is before Weston's renaissance, which came about five years later.  I'm not sure about these players, and the stogie guy is the biggest mystery of all.

I appreciate any attempts to identify. 

.....Ah, I think I have most: Sahib Shihab (sp?), Benny Bailey, George Lewis, Talib Kibwe, Benny Powell (the last two at the start of their long runs with Weston). 

The cigar guy (still don't know him) is mainly the conductor.

Edited by Milestones

1. Benny Bailey tp
  2. Benny Powell tb
  3. George Lewis tb
  4. Talib Kibwe as
  5. Sahib Shihab bs
  6. Randy Weston p
  7. Wilbur Little b
  8. Clyde Lucas dr
  9. Sam Kelly perc
  10. Hale Smith (cond)
15 minutes ago, Milestones said:

I've discovered several videos on YouTube of Randy Weston playing at Montreux in 1985.  It's called "orchestra," but looks to be only eight players at most.  One of those is an old guy with a stogie who sometimes takes over the piano chair.

This is before Weston's renaissance, which came about five years later.  I don't know these players, and the stogie guy is the biggest mystery of all.

I appreciate any attempts to be identify. 

On 30.12.2019 at 4:11 PM, Milestones said:

I've discovered several videos on YouTube of Randy Weston playing at Montreux in 1985.  It's called "orchestra," but looks to be eight or nine players.  One of these is an old guy with a stogie who sometimes takes over the piano chair.

This is before Weston's renaissance, which came about five years later.  I'm not sure about these players, and the stogie guy is the biggest mystery of all.

I appreciate any attempts to identify. 

.....Ah, I think I have most: Sahib Shihab (sp?), Benny Bailey, George Lewis, Talib Kibwe, Benny Powell (the last two at the start of their long runs with Weston). 

The cigar guy (still don't know him) is mainly the conductor.

This site actually hosts an archive/database of Montreux concerts, but it says that dbase is "currently under construction":
https://www.montreuxsounds.com/

I think I've watched that recording you're referring to after Weston died, it's fantastic