Another Mosaic Armstrong to come out this August.

9 hours ago, tranemonk said:

Ok I know this may be heresy on this site.. but do we really NEED another Armstrong Mosaic? I'm frustrated as obviously Mosaic is releasing fewer sets but TWO Armstrong Mosaics in the same year, really??? Go ahead... @me....

Well, I certainly don't need it, and I didn't need the earlier ones either, but if Armstrong sets still sell, why not? No problem for me, I'll happily ignore it. His 1920s recordings are enough for me, but a lot of people love his later work as well, so Mosaic is doing them a favour.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/15/2021 at 8:47 AM, tranemonk said:

Ok I know this may be heresy on this site.. but do we really NEED another Armstrong Mosaic? I'm frustrated as obviously Mosaic is releasing fewer sets but TWO Armstrong Mosaics in the same year, really??? Go ahead... @me....

There have been three mosaic Armstrong boxes.  I only know of one this year?  What is the other one?

On 4/15/2021 at 11:47 AM, tranemonk said:

Cardinal Biggles............... read the charges!!!!

I passed on the Live RCA/Columbia set, but was relieved when that store had the Decca All-Stars set a few weeks ago. That was one I couldn't afford back in the day. So, come onna my house. And I did get the Decca big band at Last Call, because...the pull pulled harder than I could resist.

But live Louis? My god, they got records of him playing live at Esso stations all across the country. NEW records! And I can't have those, my dad was a proud employee of The Texas Company, those Rockefellers....not our type at all. They'd lie about who they were, "Esso", "Humble", just ANY kind of name to suck your wallet dry. No, The Texas company did righ, you COULD trust your car to that man that wore THAT star, not the sherriff, you could at best only sometimes trust him, No, the big, bright, TEXACO star.

Look, see that one little boy down there? The one NOT trying to go into the bathroom (CERTIFIED clean, btw!), but the one ready to just break the motherfucking door down RIGHT NOW because you know there's an Esso guy in there pissing all over the walls, that's the kind of lowlifes those Esso people were, wallpissers all, each and every one? That's me, Little Jimmy S.  I knew that station, both real and toyish, inside and out, literally.

buddy-l-texaco-station-magnet-0111-700x7

No room for Esso  on THIS kid's floor house.

Sorry, Pops, not your fault.

Well, for real, my dad DID get me that toy service station (although maybe not for Christmas, I think as a company employee he might have gotten dibs to a pre-seasonal supply), and it was labor intensive. It came with, as you see, a lot of minutiae, and damn near ALL of it had to have stickers/decals applied or else it would just be blank plastic. For $3.50 ($31.32 in today's dollars), I guess maybe a 5 year old wouldn't have to work so hard, but then again, you know, we had to dial our phone calls and actually know how math worked, so a little struggle was ok, it's not struggle if you don't know any better, it's just work, period.

But that Esso shit, hey, totally true. Them was some low-life creeperillos. I hate to see Pops' legacy soiled by that exploitative relationship...Joe Gasier and the Rockefellers, Illuminati running jazz, and you know how they do - once they think they have your soul for a minute, they think they have it forever.

Pops knew better, though.

23 hours ago, John L said:

There is only one this year, but 4 in all:  (1) Decca All Stars, (2) Decca Big Band, (3) Live Columbia and RCA, and now this (4) Studio Columbia and RCA.  

I am not familiar with the Mosaic Decca Big Band box?

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Ah, its the Decca All-Stars that I was not familiar with.  Here's a potentially dumb question.  Which is more essential, the Decca ll- Star Box or this new one?

On 4/18/2021 at 5:31 AM, John L said:

On another Pops subject, I recall hearing that a copy of the October 1938 session with Fats Waller, Jack Teagarden, and Bud Freeman was found in pristine sound.  Has anybody here heard that, obtained that?

There's a December 1938 air shot with with those 4 musicians available from Smithsonian Folkways that supposedly is the only extant recording of Fats and Satch. And I have obtained it.  The cd also has 4 cuts from the James P. Johnson trio. 

1 hour ago, John L said:

Well, Mosaic doesn't seem to want to answer my questions about when my set will ship.  They are certainly not as friendly as they used to be. 

From now on, I may just wait and download their new sets that I want from blog sites. 

John

You mean steal them? 

Edited by medjuck

On 4/18/2021 at 8:31 AM, John L said:

On another Pops subject, I recall hearing that a copy of the October 1938 session with Fats Waller, Jack Teagarden, and Bud Freeman was found in pristine sound.  Has anybody here heard that, obtained that?

Isn't that on the Savoy box?  That's from December 1938.  

Is this something else?