• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From today’s Pinstripe Alley roundup: 

NY Daily News | Kristie Ackert: One of the players that hasn’t moved on from the Astros just yet is Gary Sanchez. Sanchez was openly joking about the situation to reporters, but also noted that he’s seen the clip of Jose Altuve hitting the walk-off against Aroldis Chapman countless amounts of times. Then he offered an amazing quote, saying “I can tell you if I hit a homer and I get my team to the World Series, they can rip off my pants.”  :lol:

Edited by ghost of miles

Despite the title, discussion of baseball is minimal and near the end of the piece, but fans of the now 99-year-old Roger Angell will no doubt find much of interest in this fascinating interview with him, including a priceless anecdote about Joseph Mitchell.

BASEBALL, FICTION, AND LIFE: ROGER ANGELL’S ERA-SPANNING CAREER AT THE NEW YORKER

9 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

Despite the title, discussion of baseball is minimal and near the end of the piece, but fans of the now 99-year-old Roger Angell will no doubt find much of interest in this fascinating interview with him, including a priceless anecdote about Joseph Mitchell.

BASEBALL, FICTION, AND LIFE: ROGER ANGELL’S ERA-SPANNING CAREER AT THE NEW YORKER

Thanks for the article, enjoyed it immensely. I often thought the fiction editors at The New Yorker were really the major influences in American fiction for decades.

Gerrit Cole making his first start in a Yankees uniform tonight against Pittsburgh, but neither YES nor the Pirates’ TV outlet are broadcasting it. Man, it was nice to watch a little bit of baseball this past weekend, though! The Rays are going to be very, very good this year, like 100+ wins good IMO. And because they’re the Rays, they might just roll out another outside-of-the-box innovation (though this one requires having two exceptionally fleet outfielders and, if implemented, is highly unlikely to become as widespread as their “opener” concept):

Two-man outfield? Here’s how the Rays could do it

Edited by ghost of miles

31 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Here we go again:

Luis Severino will undergo Tommy John surgery

This after pitching all of 20 innings last year, and means he's not back until late next season.

I think it depends on the person when they come back and how effective they are. It took Zack Wheeler a couple of years to come back. 

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think it depends on the person when they come back and how effective they are. It took Zack Wheeler a couple of years to come back. 

Yeah, it definitely can vary--the Yankees' Jordan Montgomery had TJS in May 2018 and didn't come back till September of last year, and only then for a handful of innings.  He was basically off the shelf for nearly all of 2018 and 2019.  If Sevy gets TJS in the next couple of weeks, a 16-month turnaround similar to Montgomery's puts him back around July of next year.  Plus he's more of a power pitcher than Montgomery... not sure how that affects his rehab and building up of strength, but I wouldn't be surprised if the process was longer for him.  Sure is going to be Opportunity Time for Yankees pitching prospects this spring, what with Paxton not back till mid-May at the earliest, German not back until June (iirc), and Severino now out completely.  

While awaiting news of the next Yankee injury (Gerrit Cole hit by a golf-cart?  Gary Sanchez broke his toe playing soccer?  Gleyber Torres strained an oblique in batting practice and is out for 3 months?  Who knows what be next?), here is a note of good cheer for all who happen to be T-Mobile customers:  T-Mobile is once again offering free season-long MLB.TV subscriptions to their customers  I think this is the fourth year in a row they've done it, and it's spoiled me rotten.  

38 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

While awaiting news of the next Yankee injury (Gerrit Cole hit by a golf-cart?  Gary Sanchez broke his toe playing soccer?  Gleyber Torres strained an oblique in batting practice and is out for 3 months?  Who knows what be next?),

Lou Gehrig finally getting the rap and decides to come back to say "dammit, I thought it was going to change names to Charles Mingus Disease, but NOOOOOOOOO, shoulda known that a freaking JAZZ musician couldn't get it done. So here _____________________, you're getting it now and you better make DAMN sure they start calling it YOUR disease. You hear that Steinbrenners? I'm not stopping until y'all get this shit off me. Let The Pride Of The Yankees REALLY rest in peace!"

I mean, I know the odds og that happening are pretty small, but I bet they got algorithms in Yankee Heaven too!

34 minutes ago, Soulstation1 said:

I just paid for the MLB package 

😏

Are you already a T-Mobile customer?  If so, maybe you could get a refund?  

I signed up for T-Mobile for completely different reasons about five years ago.  (They had what seemed to be the best deal for what I needed in terms of cellphone service.)  But man oh man, their business relationship with MLB has sure proven bountiful in this regard.

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Saddest Opening Day ever. :(

I find that I have little interest in watching old games that MLB and other stations have been pushing; it simply reminds of what we don’t have. I also have little interest in listening to sports talk radio as they’re trying to create conversation where there is nothing to discuss.