• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Speaking of pitching on less than four days rest, does anyone know where or how that unwritten rule became the norm?   

My memory fwiw is that the shift occurred from the 1970s on.  This comment (you have to scroll down a bit) says it began before that.  But I do recall that having a starter go on three days' rest wasn't the radical outlier back in the 1970s that it is now.  

24 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Speaking of pitching on less than four days rest, does anyone know where or how that unwritten rule became the norm?   

Just saw where Whitey Ford passed away, sad news RIP.

About Dave's question: I always felt that those 1980-81 Oakland A's teams, where Billy Martin ground the starters in mulch, killed the rotation and any thought of just three days rest. MLB coaches looked at that, ran away from anything like that, and started to add a fifth starter to the rotation. I seems to me that by the end of the 1980's, everyone had a five-man rotation. Pitch count put the final nail in the coffin in the possibility of three days rest. Nice article of the starters that Billy Martin ruined.

Edited by Matthew

8 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Wow--guy was a legend.  I'll bet Gerrit Cole's a fan. Ford had to be one of the last surviving members of those 1950s teams, right?  Tony Kubek's still around, maybe a handful of others.  

My Whitey Ford story:

I knew a man, Ken F. (RIP! He was a great guy!), who grew up in New Jersey, he was an umpire for high quality amateur baseball games in Jersey. One day, he's umping an exhibition game where some of the Yankees are playing a good semi-pro team and Whitey Ford is pitching. Something happens in the game getting Ford really pissed off, and so he starts to throw pitches "high-and-tight", if you know what I mean. Ken was the umpire behind the plate and knows what's going on. So he goes to the mound to tell Ford to cool it, telling Ford how dangerous it is because these guys aren't big league players and never will be, so they're way overmatched and Whitey can really hurt someone bad. Ken goes back behind the plate, next pitch, high-and-really-tight, Ken goes to the mound and kicks Ford out of the game, chaos ensues. 

A couple of years later, Ken is in Yankee Stadium, sitting close to the Yankee bullpen before the game with his newlywed wife, Irene (RIP, great woman!), and here comes Whitey Ford, ambling towards the bullpen, he recognizes Ken, stops and apologizes for putting Ken in a bad spot and agrees that he should've been kicked out of the game. Ford spends time talking and congratulating Ken & Irene on their marriage and being the classy guy that everyone knows he is.

Ken loved telling this story and I heard it many times.

Edited by Matthew

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Wow--guy was a legend.  I'll bet Gerrit Cole's a fan. Ford had to be one of the last surviving members of those 1950s teams, right?  Tony Kubek's still around, maybe a handful of others.  

Bobby Brown last played for the Yankees in 1952.  He'll turn 96 later this month.  

Bobby_Brown_1951.jpg

44 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

They got the sads. And I woke up with a smile.

It was a very restful season in general for Red Sox fans! ;):P

Tough loss last night, but the Yankees’ lack of both starting and bullpen depth in all likelihood was going to catch up with them eventually in the postseason. And the Rays are a #1 seed for good reason. Will be interesting to see how things play out between them and the Astros. 

2 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

It was a very restful season in general for Red Sox fans! ;):P

Tough loss last night, but the Yankees’ lack of both starting and bullpen depth in all likelihood was going to catch up with them eventually in the postseason. 

That's why it was such a nice surprise to see what had happened! Still 4-1 in championships this millenium.

Lack of bullpen depth? You've got 3 guys who have been elite closers and others who would probably be closing or 8th inning arms on a lot of other rosters.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

That's why it was such a nice surprise to see what had happened! Still 4-1 in championships this millenium.

Lack of bullpen depth? You've got 3 guys who have been elite closers and others who would probably be closing or 8th inning arms on a lot of other rosters.

Yankees still 27-13 in championships over the past century. 😉 And the longest, still-ongoing-streak of consecutive winning seasons.  They’re in the hunt just about every year and IMO will remain so for 2021-22. Definitely a disappointing conclusion to this season, no doubt about it. Re lack of bullpen depth, Otto lost the plot badly this year, Kahnle went down for TJS, Green is middling, and after that it goes downhill fast. Sure, Britton and Chapman are very good closers, but there’s no reliable effective middle relief. You saw that last night when Boone went straight to Britton/Chapman after pulling Cole in the 6th. And even if Chapman had gotten through the 8th unscathed, gotten the third borderline pitch called a strike instead on Brosseau, who would the Yankees have wheeled out for the bottom of the 9th? Rays had a better overall pen, and that’s to their credit. They seem to do a better job with developing and coaching their pitchers. Maybe Matt Blake can up NY’s game in that regard next year with a full season in which to do it... remains to be seen. Rays are already there. 

Edited by ghost of miles

45 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Yankees still 27-13 in championships over the past century. 😉 And the longest, still-ongoing-streak of consecutive winning seasons.  They’re in the hunt just about every year and IMO will remain so for 2021-22. Definitely a disappointing conclusion to this season, no doubt about it. Re lack of bullpen depth, Otto lost the plot badly this year, Kahnle went down for TJS, Green is middling, and after that it goes downhill fast. Sure, Britton and Chapman are very good closers, but there’s no reliable effective middle relief. You saw that last night when Boone went straight to Britton/Chapman after pulling Cole in the 6th. And even if Chapman had gotten through the 8th unscathed, gotten the third borderline pitch called a strike instead on Brosseau, who would the Yankees have wheeled out for the bottom of the 9th? Rays had a better overall pen, and that’s to their credit. They seem to do a better job with developing and coaching their pitchers. Maybe Matt Blake can up NY’s game in that regard next year with a full season in which to do it... remains to be seen. Rays are already there. 

You’re just trying to put a positive spin on it but there’s no doubt the Rays were the better team because their players, none of whom you could call outstanding, play together as a team.  When I look at players like Stanton and Voit, I see a lot of free swingers.  Case in point. In game 2 when the Yankees had a chance to win the game in the 9th, Sanchez and Frazier are swinging for the fences where LeMahieu is up there to give a good swing.  He’s what I call a professional hitter. As far as calling that pitch against Brosseau a borderline pitch, please stop.  Replays showed it was outside. 

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

You’re just trying to put a positive spin on it but there’s no doubt the Rays were the better team because their players, none of whom you could call outstanding, play together as a team.  When I look at players like Stanton and Voit, I see a lot of free swingers.  Case in point. In game 2 when the Yankees had a chance to win the game in the 9th, Sanchez and Frazier are swinging for the fences where LeMahieu is up there to give a good swing.  He’s what I call a professional hitter. As far as calling that pitch against Brosseau a borderline pitch, please stop.  Replays showed it was outside. 

How am I trying to put a positive spin on it?! And did you see my comment that the Rays are the #1 seed for good reason? And yes, as somebody at PSA noted this morning, the Rays are somewhat reminiscent of the late 1990s Yankees—a team where the sum is greater than the whole of its parts. (That’s a compliment, since I guess I have to amplify loudly all due respect for the Rays.)  Re the third pitch, the ump had been calling similar pitches strikes all night long.  But even that wasn’t an attempt to excuse the loss—as I went on to say, NY was running out of bullpen options anyway. The loss last night was primarily on the bats’ ineffectiveness against the Rays’ top-flight pitching. 

By referencing all the championships they’ve won, and how they’re in the hunt every year and so forth. They just can’t avoid the fact that they haven’t been to a WS for 11 years and counting and that for them it was a disappointing season after all the expectations. On the other hand you can chalk it up to being a very unusual year and the SP injuries. 

31 minutes ago, Brad said:

By referencing all the championships they’ve won, and how they’re in the hunt every year and so forth. They just can’t avoid the fact that they haven’t been to a WS for 11 years and counting and that for them it was a disappointing season after all the expectations. On the other hand you can chalk it up to being a very unusual year and the SP injuries. 

I referenced the # of championships in response to Dan’s boast about Boston’s WS run over the past 15 years. That’s not something I ever bring up unless somebody else initiates some kind of unprovoked nah-nah-nah patter. And yes, it’s disappointing as a Yankees fan that they’ve won only one WS in the past 19 years (is anybody trying to deny that?!)—which is all the more reason why obsessive Yankee hatred is increasingly irrational. They’re a consistently highly competitive team, but they ain’t no dynasty. As somebody who’s followed them for 46 years now, though, I’m still proud of the effort they put forth—and having been to NYC five times in the past three years has made me love the team even more. So yeah, today’s a depressing one... but I still love NY, I still love baseball in general, and even this crazy not-quite-half-a-season has been a pleasant distraction at times from the country constantly being on fire in one way or another (sometimes literally). So I’m grateful for that as well. 

Edited by ghost of miles

3 hours ago, Matthew said:

I love being irrational, it's in my baseball DNA.

I have a friend — a Red Sox fan — who says that YED (Yankee Elimination Day) is his favorite day of the year after Christmas.  When the Yankees lost last night I wished him a Happy YED.  

From Pinstripe Alley, probably the best post-mortem I've come across.  Most interesting is the suggestion that the decision to pull Gerrit Cole in the 6th inning may not have been made by Aaron Boone.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2020/10/11/21510940/yankees-alds-exit-rays-mlb-postseason-2020-gerrit-cole-aroldis-chapman-aaron-boone-mike-brosseau

Edited by Dave James