LF: Lou Donaldson - Swing and Soul CD decent price

felser

Is that still not working? I remember it being unavailable two or three months ago.

Those Kupiku people are a class act in every way, and are (were?) cheaper than ordering through Discogs. Of course, the rarer CDs are pricey. 

Amazon.co.jp refuses to sell to customers outside Japan, and that can be annoying.

I am surprised that Kupiku has not fixed their search function.

amazon.co.jp was a great suggestion, except I can't log in using my amazon.com account!  Any suggestions on how I can log onto amazon.co.jp with an amazon.com prime account?  I have ordered from amazon in canada, uk, france, and germany, have never had this issue.  Is it because of the character set (alphabet)?

CDJapan has a service they provide (or a 3rd party they partner with - not sure which it is), that will find things that they (CDJapan) doesn't have in stock themselves -- stuff that's out of print -- and they'll order it on your behalf, and send it to you (or have it sent to you).  I've never used it, but I think you find the item in CDJapan's database, and then go through some sort of alternate-ordering process, and they'll find it for you (if they can), and of course charge a mark-up.

Of course, what I don't know is whether they actually have the item sent to them - and then they resend it to you.  Or whether they have the other party (the one with the actual item) send it directly to you (which, in this case, wouldn't work).

Also, I don't think you get to specify where they source it from -- they just try and find it (probably as cheaply as they can), and then they make it happen.

CLEARLY I'm not up on all the details -- but I just (barely) know the service exists.

EDIT:  It's not as simple as the service once was, but here are the details...

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/guide/help/special_request/about_proxy_shopping

Edited by Rooster_Ties

11 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

CDJapan has a service they provide (or a 3rd party they partner with - not sure which it is), that will find things that they (CDJapan) doesn't have in stock themselves -- stuff that's out of print -- and they'll order it on your behalf, and send it to you (or have it sent to you).  I've never used it, but I think you find the item in CDJapan's database, and then go through some sort of alternate-ordering process, and they'll find it for you (if they can), and of course charge a mark-up.

Of course, what I don't know is whether they actually have the item sent to them - and then they resend it to you.  Or whether they have the other party (the one with the actual item) send it directly to you (which, in this case, wouldn't work).

Also, I don't think you get to specify where they source it from -- they just try and find it (probably as cheaply as they can), and then they make it happen.

CLEARLY I'm not up on all the details -- but I just (barely) know the service exists.

EDIT:  It's not as simple as the service once was, but here are the details...

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/guide/help/special_request/about_proxy_shopping

Thanks, I opened a request for it, and we'll see what happens.  Meantime I'll keep an eye on Ebay.

So CDJapan came in with a match at 1400 yen (about $14) on the Donaldson disc, which seemed fine to me, figured I'd just add some other discs I had bookmarked and place an order, paying the shipping.  They then wanted to add on 1000 yen for their match and also an additional charge to get the CD from the place that had it, bringing me up well over $25, probably more like $30, plus the shipping to me.  Bottom line, don't consider their proxy shopping unless you are prepared to pay big for the item you are seeking.  

I don’t remember the specific details but I used their proxy service for Howard Ramsey’s Lighthouse at Laguna. The whole thing wound up costing $37 so, yes, it was expensive but I really wanted this disc and I love Laguna. Been there a trillion times; wish I could afford to live there. A few weeks later I saw it on eBay for about $20. I was momentarily annoyed but you can’t worry about what you can’t control. 

• 2 weeks later...