Playing Favorites: Reflections on Jazz of the Later 1940's

BillF

As this thread is developing into something of a soliloquy, I'll just add that the Barnet disc above includes a sensational treatment of Jerome Kern's "All the Things You Are" by Maynard Ferguson that so enraged Kern's widow that she threatened to sue! :crazy:

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I understand that this post by my worthy constituent and fellow board member Fernando Ortiz de Urbina perfectly fits the purpose of this thread.

He ellaborates and comes to a well-reasoned conclusion on who plays trumpet in the famous performance of 'Ko-Ko' from Charlie Parker's very first session as a leader (Nov. 26, 1945):

http://jazzontherecord.blogspot.com/2013/11/november-26-1945-at-savoy-records.html

(initially posted on November 2013 and revised and updated just a few days ago)

Yes, those 3 Albums must be in every Collection of vintage bop records.

Personally I Thing the BN is the best. 

My admiration for Bud Powell started when I heard his Incredible solos on the CBS double Album "One Night at Birdland" (Bird, Fats, Bud, Curley Russel, Art Blakey).

The next week I bought the then usual Verve Double LP which Features the mentioned "Jazz Giant" and the second Verve Album which I think is called "Genius". 

With two tracks trio and the rest is 1951 solo. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also an interesting album. I remember when I was young I first didn´t know about Howard McGhee but as soon as I heard him on the Fats Navarro - McGhee Boptet side from the BN-Double album, I became very aware of him. 

Milt Jackson also has been a favourite of mine for very long time.

Herunterladen.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2020 at 9:38 PM, optatio said:

39726378an.jpg

39726380jv.jpg

39726381pd.jpg

Alun Morgan in: Modern Jazz. The Essential Records. London 1978, p. 4f.

Sorry for coming across this so late. Alun Morgan was such a good critic. Brian Priestley who was at university with me told me Alun helped him get started.

1 hour ago, Don said:

Is there a good Bud Powell box set for the music from the 40s?

Don't know. Would be nice if there were.

hqdefault.jpg

Red Rodney's Beboppers

Red Rodney (tpt), Allen Eager (tnr), Serge Chaloff (bar), Al Haig (pno), Chubby Jackson (bs), Tiny Kahn (dms)

Recorded January 1947

"Elevation"

"Fine and Dandy"

"The Goof and I"

"All God's Children Got Rhythm"

Great stuff! :D

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Red Rodney's Beboppers

Red Rodney (tpt), Allen Eager (tnr), Serge Chaloff (bar), Al Haig (pno), Chubby Jackson (bs), Tiny Kahn (dms)

Recorded January 1947

"Elevation"

"Fine and Dandy"

"The Goof and I"

"All God's Children Got Rhythm"

Great stuff! :D

Which leads us into Keynote territory (even if we concentrate on the LATER 40s, as this thread is - correctly - supposed to do),

I first managed to get my hands on these sessions on this Mercury reissue far more than 20 years ago (but mostly pull out my Fresh Sound box for convenience these days to listen to them):

https://www.discogs.com/Red-Rodney-Lennie-Tristano-Bebop/release/4615146

On 12/7/2020 at 7:22 AM, Gheorghe said:

The next week I bought the then usual Verve Double LP which Features the mentioned "Jazz Giant" and the second Verve Album which I think is called "Genius". 

I don’t know if you’re thinking of these but Verve issued two LP sets, The Genius of Bud Powell, Volume 1, in 1976 and The Genius of Bud Powell, Volume 2, in 1978.

i-nbvcSLF-M.jpg

i-2rKf3nC-M.jpg

3 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Interesting to be reminded of these. Vol. 1 was all over the place here for quite some time in the shops (I bought my copy of Vol. 1 some time in the later 80s) but I cannot recall having ever seen a copy of Vol. 2 anywhere.

I recently picked up a used copy of Volume 2 at a local record store but have yet to play it. 

50 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Which leads us into Keynote territory (even if we concentrate on the LATER 40s, as this thread is - correctly - supposed to do),

I first managed to get my hands on these sessions on this Mercury reissue far more than 20 years ago (but mostly pull out my Fresh Sound box for convenience these days to listen to them):

https://www.discogs.com/Red-Rodney-Lennie-Tristano-Bebop/release/4615146

R-4615146-1370161203-3078.jpeg.jpg

Ah, yes. I remember that one!

On 21.1.2021 at 7:50 PM, Don said:

Is there a good Bud Powell box set for the music from the 40s?

Not wanting to speak heresy :D, but (for want of much else) how about this box on the Proper label?
https://www.allmusic.com/album/release/tempus-fugue-it-mr0001675724

(After all "The Complete Bud Powell on Verve" for the most part focuses on the 50s.)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

48 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Interesting to be reminded of these. Vol. 1 was all over the place here for quite some time in the shops (I bought my copy of Vol. 1 some time in the later 80s) but I cannot recall having ever seen a copy of Vol. 2 anywhere.

Same here. I still have my copy of Vol 1, bought around 1980. That’s the first time I’ve seen Vol 2.

11 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Not wanting to speak heresy :D, but (for want of much else) how about this box on the Proper label?
https://www.allmusic.com/album/release/tempus-fugue-it-mr0001675724

(After all "The Complete Bud Powell on Verve" for the most part focuses on the 50s.)

Got it many moons ago and have enjoyed it ever since.