COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

I've casually seen a few reports indicating (or at least suggesting) a drop in immediately obvious pollution levels here and there as a result of the significant uptick in telecommuting (of which, in my own circumstances, I am an extreme fan).

Hopefully, serious real-time data is being collected as we go through this, including what the impact of increased demand on bandwidth is.

I'm sure nothing's free, but unless and until we can become less fossil-fuel dependent, reducing the most obvious variable (driving everywhere) seems to not be the worst outcome of mass telecommuting?

otoh, I would expect massive pu$hback from the potentially impacted commercial real estate interests, and understandably so. But oh well about that.

Evolve or die, right?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So many good things can come of the telecommuting, as Mark and Jim have pointed out in the last two posts.  I've used the tools for years, since we went to a worldwide distributed model for our workforce.  Since we are meeting with people from Brasov and Bangalore (often together), we don't bother to get a conference room for the Malvern-based employees, we just all sit at our desks and meet on Microsoft Teams (Webex and Skype before that)  It's not as good as being in the same room, but it works, and you get used to it plenty fast enough.  And Teams has a lot of good features such as Whiteboard, where we are all able to write and draw on the same screen.  Managers such as mine are starting to find ways to do team-building that are effective.  We have "virtual happy hours" for our team on Thursday afternoons, and are having a contest for coolest home office setup at our next team meeting.   I actually am spending more time communicating with the rest of my team now than I did when in the office.   The positive impact on the environment can be staggering over time.  The savings for businesses not needing so much expensive commercial real estate is great, and if less land is used for commercial purposes, more can be used for housing, which can re-calibrate the supply/demand for that and make housing more affordable.  And families spend more time together, and people get back their commuting time, energy, and expense, and can reinvest that in different ways.  And so on and so forth.

But...look at how many satellite businesses there are that depend on a centralized office development model...I think the transition is inevitabel, but it won't be painless, and there will be significant pu$hback that will be effective for a good long while before it finally gives up its ghost. The same thing, or sort of the same thing, is happening with malls. It's not just the malls that go, it's all the satellite business as well, little by little.

I keep comforting myself with the pseudo-realization that seldom is evolution instant (and if it is instant, is it really "evolution"? Or is it something else?). But it is inevitable.

My most personal/selfish love of telecommuting is that I hate all the forced "team" activities that come with being in a group environment. I'm here to do a good job and get paid for it. If it doesn't involve that, PLEASE leave me the fuck alone.

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But...look at how many satellite businesses there are that depend on a centralized office development model...I think the transition is inevitabel, but it won't be painless, and there will be significant pu$hback that will be effective for a good long while before it finally gives up its ghost. The same thing, or sort of the same thing, is happening with malls. It's not just the malls that go, it's all the satellite business as well, little by little.

I keep comforting myself with the pseudo-realization that seldom is evolution instant (and if it is instant, is it really "evolution"? Or is it something else?). But it is inevitable.

My most personal/selfish love of telecommuting is that I hate all the forced "team" activities that come with being in a group environment. I'm here to do a good job and get paid for it. If it doesn't involve that, PLEASE leave me the fuck alone.

Yes, everything comes at a price, and everything has pu$hback, for sure, but there is still good that can come from it.   The economy will need to adapt, for sure.  And it will.  BTW, Trump just extended the social distancing guidelines until April 30.  Thank you, Dr. Fauci.  I am also often not enamored of Team Building activites, but I think they do have some value.  But when given the option, I pick and choose the extent of my involvement.  We may have different types of jobs which have different degrees of benefit from team building.  Mine does optimally require a good bit of collaboration and mutual trust, and to whatever degree we can build goodwill and understanding of how we each tick, things do go better.

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

This is beautiful.  "There are more things to admire in men than to despise."--Albert Camus, The Plague

Yes it is.  I am sitting here with tears running down my face.  As flawed as we are, we have been gifted with an amazing spirit within and among us as a people.  Thanks so much. 

On 3/29/2020 at 0:53 PM, Dave James said:

This is pretty consistent everywhere people have the ability to do so. I think the story might underplay a little how many first time gun owners are actually causing the spike. I believe it to be the majority at the moment.

4 hours ago, felser said:

Yes it is.  I am sitting here with tears running down my face.  As flawed as we are, we have been gifted with an amazing spirit within and among us as a people.  Thanks so much. 

Don’t cry. 
Can you take walks? We’ve been doing it almost every day. The spring is here, and it’s beautiful.

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Don’t cry. 
Can you take walks? We’ve been doing it almost every day. The spring is here, and it’s beautiful.

Yes, I get out almost every day for a walk or two, weather permitting, thanks.  Brings some sanity and is the only face to face (from a safe distance) contact I have with people outside our family.   

8 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

This is beautiful.  "There are more things to admire in men than to despise."--Albert Camus, The Plague

Seems kinda emo to me.

Then again, I'm not moved by that kind of thing under normal conditions either.

So I know, fuck me, I'm an asshole.

BUT - this is beautiful no matter what the conditions:

That's what records are for, so dead people can still speak their truth in ways we can all understand, at any time. Having a shitty day? Still beautiful. Having a great day? Still beautiful. About to breathe your last breath" Still beautiful (I would hope?), about to take your next breath with no worries about taking the next one? Still beautiful.

Fully expressed sexual maturity is more beautiful than death-y fretfulness. Always.

Here's beautiful too!

The sound of Duke Ellington saying the words "Johnny Hodges" - and anything that is precipitating those words - will always be beautiful.

Dude, you're preaching to a longtime DKE believer.  But that video of the kids in Rome virtually appearing and coming together onscreen, each in their personal space that's temporarily become a cell of sorts, to sing that song really hit home for whatever reason. A reminder of what we can spiritually be, even if day-to-day life doesn't provide very often for the circumstances.  To summon that feeling in this particular moment is solace for the heart. A number of friends I've shared it with have had similar reactions.  But everybody finds beauty in their own way!  Thank God we're not all singing the same song every day! ;)

Edited by ghost of miles

This too shall pass. Hopefully they all live long enough and healthily enough to get a better song.

17 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

...that video of the kids in Rome virtually appearing and coming together onscreen, each in their personal space that's temporarily become a cell of sorts, to sing that song really hit home for whatever reason.

The "whatever reason" is the immediate circumstance, I'd say, nothing more. I mean, I get it, but life is tragic in all kinds of ways, all kinds of times. That's no excuse for a not good song, no matter how it's done, or by who.

I'm too old for that kind of thing. Fuck me, I'm an asshole. Or not. Just don't ask me to be "moved" by that. That's like that guy who sent out a lead sheet of some really bullshit reductotrane cretinous "jazz" song he wrote after Trayvon got killed, sent it to everybody on his social media group and encouraged EVERYBODY to play it on the bandstand THAT NIGHT and call for justice. Well, ok, I guess, I wasn't on that list, but a guy I was gigging with that night was, and sure enough, out comes the chart, and we get a couple choruses in and I just gotta stop and say, hey, this tune is BULLSHIT. The situation is NOT. This is an insult to the gravity of what has happened here, no wonder no progress ever gets made, it's a constant battle between trifling cretins, HOW DARE YOU ask me to play this and advocate in its name. So the guy stops and thinks about it and says, yeah, you're right, this song sucks, and then he called something else that still sucked. But at least it was a love song or a dedication to a family member or some shit like that. Something appropriate for the time and the place of the gig, something that could withstand the scrutiny of the non-discerning.

Just saying, I get it, this is a tough time all over, and young people in Italy...I can't imagine. Seriously, I can't imagine.

Still - life goes on, so get a better song. The long haul will thank you.

• JSngry locked this topic