COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

5 minutes ago, catesta said:

I'm curious and have a question for those working from home that otherwise would not be.

If say in 30 days, things appear to resume back to a somewhat normal situation and your employer/place of business recalls you to the office/store/shop, do you think there will be some separation anxiety? I mean in the sense of leaving home, not being around pets all day, kids, significant other, etc.

Will you be freaked out some or looking forward to it?

I can't truly speak to it since I am still going out everyday but I'm obviously spending more time at home at night and on the weekends.

I'll be looking forward to it, but I don't see it happening by 30 days from now.  Everything here's pretty much canceled or online-only through the end of the summer, and there's already talk that stay-at-home could be extended into early June.  Hard to say how we can ever get back to "normalcy" until there are either plentiful antibody tests or a vaccine (which is most likely a year away, it seems?).  

I love my home and being here (I'm still going into work three days a week, about five hours a shift), but man do I miss being able to go out to restaurants and stores, watching baseball, shopping at the grocery store without feeling as if I'm stepping through the Valley of Death, etc.  Strange spring for sure.  

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I won't have any separation anxiety.  I wouldn't mind society in general moving more to teleworking (as there are positive benefits in terms of reducing congestion), but I do generally prefer more separation between home life and work life.

41 minutes ago, catesta said:

I'm curious and have a question for those working from home that otherwise would not be.

If say in 30 days, things appear to resume back to a somewhat normal situation and your employer/place of business recalls you to the office/store/shop, do you think there will be some separation anxiety? I mean in the sense of leaving home, not being around pets all day, kids, significant other, etc.

Will you be freaked out some or looking forward to it?

I can't truly speak to it since I am still going out everyday but I'm obviously spending more time at home at night and on the weekends.

Just me, but I love working from home (and was approved to do it for about 5 years, before the office space opened up due to a downward staffing adjustment), don't at all like going into the office, but I can deal with it. either way, it's work. It is what it is, which is a gig.

I will say this, though - there appears to be a somewhat, uh....diverse perception of how important having people all together actually is as a concept. not about what makes sense as far as specific task-execution goes. It seems like the higher up the ladder you go, the more anxiety there is about it (maybe projecting their own anxiety about maybe "losing control"?), but that might just be my perception.

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Just me, but I love working from home (and was approved to do it for about 5 years, before the office space opened up due to a downward staffing adjustment), don't at all like going into the office, but I can deal with it. either way, it's work. It is what it is, which is a gig.

I will say this, though - there appears to be a somewhat, uh....diverse perception of how important having people all together actually is as a concept. not about what makes sense as far as specific task-execution goes. It seems like the higher up the ladder you go, the more anxiety there is about it (maybe projecting their own anxiety about maybe "losing control"?), but that might just be my perception.

Jim, are you sure that keeping you at home isn’t, well, an elaborate hoax? 

😉

I have preferred WFH ever since the technology came in place to support it well.  My wife already worked from home 95% of the time anyways (and my cat hangs out with me much of the day), so I have great company.  And almost all of my meetings are remote even when I'm in the office, working with people here in Malvern/Philly, in Bangalore, and sometimes in Brasov, and most of my meetings have Bangalore representation.   Very little tangible benefit to me being in the office, and less distractions from home most days.   Plus it's really nice to have windows (the glass kind) to look out while I work.   I would love to WFH the rest of my career.  What I miss is being able to safely/routinely go out to do basic shopping, church, restaurants, etc.   But I'm personally wired well for our current existence.  However, it is very hard on a lot of people in many ways (I do worry about mass trauma/depression).  And the sickness/death is a horror, as are the economic consequences.

56 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I'll be looking forward to it, but I don't see it happening by 30 days from now.  Everything here's pretty much canceled or online-only through the end of the summer, and there's already talk that stay-at-home could be extended into early June.  Hard to say how we can ever get back to "normalcy" until there are either plentiful antibody tests or a vaccine (which is most likely a year away, it seems?).  

I love my home and being here (I'm still going into work three days a week, about five hours a shift), but man do I miss being able to go out to restaurants and stores, watching baseball, shopping at the grocery store without feeling as if I'm stepping through the Valley of Death, etc.  Strange spring for sure.  

Man, I get that about going into a store. I was in Whole Foods Saturday morning and then to Total Wine to pick up an online order my wife placed. It just keeps getting more and more uncomfortable with the tape on the floor, signs everywhere and people avoiding getting close to each other.

11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

It will be tempting to take early-early retirement when this is all over and ‘normal sevice’ resumes !

It woul have been here, too, if our retirement plans hadn't been decimated :blink:.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

My son who is working at home says the higher ups are just to used to having assistants at their beck and call. They can't do many of the menial tasks on their own. 

I see things the same way David does re. the timeline. I'm also really hopeful that some of the treatment therapies folks are grinding on might prove successful. That could be a game-changer too. But so far, swing and a miss.

My wife and I are both used to working from home, and we're homebodies, so the transition hasn't been too bad. But yeah, teaching college via Zoom isn't exactly a thrill a minute.

I was never a big fan of working from home as I found I was more disciplined at the office. Moreover, I was 10 minutes max driving time from the office. Of course, I’m retired now, so it doesn’t matter!

Edited by Brad

So far I think it's a good thing my Dad is in an assisted-living place. I can't see him, and it's almost as if he's in prison in important ways, but there has not been a single COVID-19 case due to the stringent and thoughtful measures our governor has put in place and that is not the case in the town he moved from nearly five years ago. . . .

16 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

So far I think it's a good thing my Dad is in an assisted-living place. I can't see him, and it's almost as if he's in prison in important ways, but there has not been a single COVID-19 case due to the stringent and thoughtful measures our governor has put in place and that is not the case in the town he moved from nearly five years ago. . . .

:tup on the no-cases achievement 

Agreed. I'm not worry free, believe me. I worry for my mother-in-law as well who is at home, 90 years old, just back from the hospital from a heart issue, tended by one of my wife's sisters who is a "the earth is only 5000 year's old and there's no climate change and I think the virus may still be an overblown media hoax you know" person who is I fear not taking the "stay at home" matter seriously. 

It's a scary time. Hope your Mom remains okay.

Edited by jazzbo

My mother lives alone. Her only company now is her West Highland Terrier, Bonnie.

Two of my sisters that live close are making sure she remains stocked up and sure, we can all talk by phone, but this not being able to be around family is really taking it's toll on her.

Seeing her adult children, grandchildren and great grandchildren has always been important to her. She also misses silver sneakers with her pals. All this would be much easier for her if she still had my father, so it really bums me out.

• JSngry locked this topic