Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert Mosaic - NOW AVAILABLE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/15/2020 at 3:17 PM, jazztrain said:

Same here!  Too early for tracking to work, I guess.

It works now.  Supposed to arrive on Thursday. 

3 hours ago, tranemonk said:

So let me see if I got this... Those who ordered the first batch (before the email went out) - you have received them? Those of us (including me) who ordered once the email was sent out are in the second batch? Which hasn't shipped... Is that right?

People ordered before the e-mail went out? How did they know about it? 

42 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Now Doug Ramsey has shared that Mosaic says its new Paul Desmond set is SOLD OUT.

https://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2020/05/paul-desmond-his-canadians-the-complete-set-at-last.html

That must be a record for them, this will be a definite case of "If you snooze, you lose!"

I was starting to get a bit panicky, but I read it again and the article says the first PRESSING has sold out, and there will be another pressing by the end of May.  And this is confirmed on the Mosaic site.  I know there is definitely some built-in demand for this set, but 2500 units in a couple of weeks? 

50 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Now Doug Ramsey has shared that Mosaic says its new Paul Desmond set is SOLD OUT.

https://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2020/05/paul-desmond-his-canadians-the-complete-set-at-last.html

That must be a record for them, this will be a definite case of "If you snooze, you lose!"

This post almost stopped my pacemaker...:rolleyes:

No sweat - there is another pressing ‘in the works’. Having said that, I suspect that this will not be one to hang around too long on.

It all depends on how many sets they do per manufacturing one. Regardless, I’m sure it will sell out quickly.

I think their idea of not announcing a set until it’s available to ship is a good idea. No complaints about when such and such is coming out, plus pent up demand for new sets leads to sales. 

1 hour ago, thirdtry said:

I ordered pretty early on the day the set was announced and well before the notice came that the first pressing sold out.  I was charged a couple weeks ago but no shipping notice and nothing on my UPS page.  

I too ordered as soon as I saw the email on 4/30. My credit card was charged on 5/3. Mosaic claims that cards will not be charged until an item is ready to ship.

I have yet to receive a shipping confirmation. I paid extra for UPS and I have a UPS account which alerts me of scheduled deliveries. So even if I missed the shipping notification email which came from an odd email address, UPS would be keeping me in the loop. 

So at this point I got nothing, although I remain hopeful, even quietly confident that Mosaic will come through.

36 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think their idea of not announcing a set until it’s available to ship is a good idea.

Yeah, unless there's like, only 100 actual copies ready to actually ship?

I mean, I ordered within hours of getting the email, literally, hours, like 3-4 hours. And I got an order confirmation, with an order #. And then the next they said, don't worry, everybody who ordered yesterday (one of whom would be me), your order is going to be shipped,  don't worry, it'll be on the way tout suite.

And since then, nothing. No bill, no further notices, nothing. I would call, but I've gave up on that, when, last year?

I guess having some kind of central record that cross-references order # with shipping status, and then sending out a bulk email to the people whose orders are still pending shipping but who are thinking, on the basis of public pronouncements, they shouldn't be...I guess that's asking too much in 2020?

I mean, I want to hear this set, but the only reason I jumped like I did was because my previous experience with the Mobley was, like, old-school Mosaic in every way. THIS nonsense...I'll be in no hurry to order anything from them going forth, unless it's that Bill Barron set. And even then....

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, unless there's like, only 100 actual copies ready to actually ship?

I mean, I ordered within hours of getting the email, literally, hours, like 3-4 hours. And I got an order confirmation, with an order #. And then the next they said, don't worry, everybody who ordered yesterday (one of whom would be me), your order is going to be shipped,  don't worry, it'll be on the way tout suite.

And since then, nothing. No bill, no further notices, nothing. I would call, but I've gave up on that, when, last year?

I guess having some kind of central record that cross-references order # with shipping status, and then sending out a bulk email to the people whose orders are still pending shipping but who are thinking, on the basis of public pronouncements, they shouldn't be...I guess that's asking too much in 2020?

I mean, I want to hear this set, but the only reason I jumped like I did was because my previous experience with the Mobley was, like, old-school Mosaic in every way. THIS nonsense...I'll be in no hurry to order anything from them going forth, unless it's that Bill Barron set. And even then....

Why don’t you email Scott. He’s usually pretty helpful. 

26 minutes ago, Brad said:

Why don’t you email Scott. He’s usually pretty helpful. 

Not helpful. "Helpful". Reactive, always.

It's just a different game now. The fact that I place an order, get an order #, and then have nowhere to go look at it anywhere is just...ugh. So where is that order # stored, and what is it used for then?

It'll get here when it gets here, or maybe not. Can't complain if it's not billed, and, you know, I have already heard a lot of Paul Desmond, so if I don't get to hear this bit more, hey, won't be my fault or my concern, really, as far as that goes.

All I know is that when it comes to Mosaic, I'm now back into the "it was fun while it lasted" camp...happy 20th Century, I guess.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

As I’m sure you know, the Mosaic that was is not the Mosaic we now have. The company shrank and now they have somebody else doing their shipping. When you subcontract that out, there can be problems. 

Yeah, especially when you don't take care of something as simple as having a common database between the two shops. It needn't be complicated and it needn't be expensive.

I'm not making excuses for these guys anymore. The lack of basic - basic - technological and communication skills has them jumping the shark for me.

Well, I did get a shipping notice, but at last check, the set is still on the East Coast (in Secaucus, New Jersey, of all places), so it'll be a while. I ordered immediately after I saw the notice here on the board (like right then--opened a new window, went to the site and ordered), which I saw before I got the Mosaic email. If it's one thing the "new" Mosaic has taught us, it is that you better order it instantaneously if you want to be in the "first batch"!

gregmo

8 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Well, I did get a shipping notice, but at last check, the set is still on the East Coast (in Secaucus, New Jersey, of all places), so it'll be a while. I ordered immediately after I saw the notice here on the board (like right then--opened a new window, went to the site and ordered), which I saw before I got the Mosaic email. If it's one thing the "new" Mosaic has taught us, it is that you better order it instantaneously if you want to be in the "first batch"!

gregmo

Did you choose Media Mail or UPS?

Mine is in Secaucus too.  I think that's the first stop after the Mosaic shipping place.  Mine is scheduled for delivery on Thursday.  After they get the backlog out of the way maybe they'll release the Louis Armstrong/ Avakian set the same way: i.e. Announce that it's ready to ship.