Chick Webb and Jimmie Lunceford

Mark Stryker

Gang, let's say I fucked up and didn't get the Webb and Lunceford sets on Mosaic when I had the chance (hangs head in shame).

I'm now looking for the best way to amass the Decca material from both leaders in packages that have excellent sound (non-negotiable) and good annotation (negotiable if the sound is excellent). Either CDs or LPs. I have the Decca/MCA LPs of much of this material, including some issued in the '60s, but there's too much simulated stereo. I know I can do better. Obviously one option would be to search for the Chronological Classics CDs. Is that the best option or would folks recommend others? Would consider "highlights" discs but am interested in getting it all eventually

Thanks  

Edited by Mark Stryker

If you are only or mostly after the Chick Webb instrumentals, the two CDs oh HEP do a perfect job. I'm not that much of an Ella fan and am totally satisfied with them. 

51F-rPtw9oL.jpg61VtCXjmCEL.jpg

In the case of the Lunceford Decca sides, I'm afraid the only complete alternative to the Mosaic set would be the Chronological Classics discs. Harder to find and probably more expensive if you want them all. Same goes for the Masters of Jazz CDs. But you would get the early Victor sides along with them and the Columbias.

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

If you are only or mostly after the Chick Webb instrumentals, the two CDs oh HEP do a perfect job. I'm not that much of an Ella fan and am totally satisfied with them. 

51F-rPtw9oL.jpg61VtCXjmCEL.jpg

In the case of the Lunceford Decca sides, I'm afraid the only complete alternative to the Mosaic set would be the Chronological Classics discs. Harder to find and probably more expensive if you want them all. Same goes for the Masters of Jazz CDs. But you would get the early Victor sides along with them and the Columbias.

Thanks much

I have a 1960s era Jazz Heritage mono reissue on Decca for Jimmy Lunceford, Rhythm is our Business, Volume 1. While most of this series of reissues that I run across seem to be in simulated stereo, there are less common mono versions. The mono reissues in this series, including this one, sound great.

Second (third?) the recommendations above.
Apart from the Chronological Classics series and the Mosaic the Jimmie Lunceford orchestra recordings, in particular, have not really been reissued in comprehensive form. 
As I still am primarily a vinyl man I went that way before the CC series was around and carried on later on, snapping up whatever I found to fill the gaps. In addition to older reissues on German Brunswick (The Golden Swing Years Vol. 8) and UK Coral (Jazz Heritage Series No. 5) the later French/U.S. "Jazz Heritage" series LPs as well as the "Big Band Bounce & Boogie" series LPs on (UK) Affinity give a fairly good summary of the Decca sides by the LUnceford band. Of course you end up with a fair share of duplicates. The Vocalion sides of 1939 were on (UK) CBS Realm Jazz 52567, for example. And then there were a couple of "collector's" reissues that semed to be geared specifically to fil the gaps left by the usual (Major) suspects: "Takin' Off with Jimmie" (Tax m-8003) and "1939-1940" (Two Flats Disc TFD 5.001).
Ther latter reissue as well as a Chronological Classics CD I picked up to fill more gaps, however, made me realize that you do not really need everything by the Lunceford band unless you are an inveterate completist: The Dan Grissom vocals really are very much an acquired taste and his singing style IMHO has dated badly (some of the Andy Kirk band ballad vocals are a similar case). And the arrangements aren't always much to write home about either, with that rickety-tick rhythm going on behind some of the Grissom vocals, as if to ape the sweeter sweet bands of the day. So if you are fine with the classic swinging instrumentals and the vocals by Trummy Young and Joe Thomas and do not need everything that can save you some purchases and a bit of an ear-ache. ;)

15 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I have a 1960s era Jazz Heritage mono reissue on Decca for Jimmy Lunceford, Rhythm is our Business, Volume 1. While most of this series of reissues that I run across seem to be in simulated stereo, there are less common mono versions. The mono reissues in this series, including this one, sound great.

I have this one too.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

A lot of the Lunceford material seems to be on a digital series Verve issued in 2017.  Four volumes, four cd's worth of material.   The order is different from the Mosaic box and I am not quite sure how the two releases relate but the digital release would appear to be a subset of the Mosaic. Mosaic booklet is here:  http://web.archive.org/web/20141207214247/http://www.mosaicrecords.com/discography.asp?number=250-MD-CD&price=$119.00&copies=7 CDs

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

Not sure if Mark Stryker still is on the lookout at all. But in case anyone else is wondering (and to update my post of 3 years ago), there also was the below LP box set that covers the entire Columbia/Vocalion output in one sweep:

https://www.discogs.com/release/8013743-Jimmie-Lunceford-The-Complete-Jimmie-Lunceford-1939-1940

Actually the contents go beyond the 1939-40 period: For completeness sake the two 1933 recordings by the orchestra are also included, thankfully.

I had not been aware of this box set when I wrote my post in 2020 but at our local #1 brick-and-mortar store two very nicely-priced copies of that set came up recently, so one is now on my shelves and the CBS Realm Jazz LP I mentioned in my earlier post has been relegated to the fleamarket vinyl crate.

For those who do want to get the ENTIRE output of the Lunceford band up to the end (beyond "essential" or "best of" compilations, and despite the "not all that essential" ballad vocals), the series of Classics CDs (though some of them seem to be rare) would be the CD option to go for. In vinyl days, OTOH, the Lunceford band was one of those where reissues were spotty and uncoordinated and impossible to round up without many overlaps and remaining gaps (even disregarding the forgettable ballads). So the above set might be of interest to some geared towards vinyl.