Bandcamp waiving fees on Friday

jcam_44

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bresna said:

I'm thinking about grabbing a few of Dale Fielder's CDs that he has up on the bandcamp website. They're a PIA to find though. You can't just find one and click on Fielder's name. You have to search on his name and go through all of the search results to find them.

Vinny Golia has some titles like that. Agree it’s annoying to try and find everything. 

3 hours ago, bresna said:

I'm thinking about grabbing a few of Dale Fielder's CDs that he has up on the bandcamp website. They're a PIA to find though. You can't just find one and click on Fielder's name. You have to search on his name and go through all of the search results to find them.

Under Dale Fielder Quartet, you can find his To Sir: Tribute to Wayne Shorter, which I recommend.  It has some unexpected Wayne tunes and Wayne-inspired originals.  The fine band also includes Jane Getz.  It is sitting on my car seat awaiting my next drive, actually.

I'm glad to hear that Bandcamp Friday has been extended.  I may pick up a three-album bundle from pianist Frank LoCrasto based on t he strength of his When You're There.  The bundle is $15.75 and includes three albums that only saw a physical release in vinyl.

Edited by Justin V

On 8/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, bresna said:

$9.99 to ship a $9.99 CD! Ouch. I think I'll pass.

On 8/3/2020 at 10:17 PM, Justin V said:

Under Dale Fielder Quartet, you can find his To Sir: Tribute to Wayne Shorter, which I recommend.  It has some unexpected Wayne tunes and Wayne-inspired originals.  The fine band also includes Jane Getz.  It is sitting on my car seat awaiting my next drive, actually.

I'm glad to hear that Bandcamp Friday has been extended.  I may pick up a three-album bundle from pianist Frank LoCrasto based on t he strength of his When You're There.  The bundle is $15.75 and includes three albums that only saw a physical release in vinyl.

Maybe... but it's only available as a digital download. I'm not a huge fan of that. Maybe it's time I change my attitude on this?

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Mystery maybe solved..

Bandcamp has a comment ‘remastered from the original tapes’ so sounds like Harry’s Mrs didn’t destroy them and they found them. Remastered by Gearbox - I’m in !

I always had trust in the maligned Mrs B

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Mystery maybe solved..

Bandcamp has a comment ‘remastered from the original tapes’ so sounds like Harry’s Mrs didn’t destroy them and they found them. Remastered by Gearbox - I’m in !

Listening right now - beautifully relaxed, just what I needed.

Got myself a couple of Chris  Biscoe's too while I was about it.

7 hours ago, jazzscriveyn said:

Listening right now - beautifully relaxed, just what I needed.

Got myself a couple of Chris  Biscoe's too while I was about it.

The reissue is on Spotify now too. ‘Glowing’ would make a good alternative theme tune for ‘Test Match Special’ (Britishism alert - apologies everyone else).

Last time I saw Harry Beckett he was with Chris  Biscoe. Good memories.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

The reissue is on Spotify now too. ‘Glowing’ would make a good alternative theme tune for ‘Test Match Special’ (Britishism alert - apologies everyone else).

Last time I saw Harry Beckett he was with Chris  Biscoe. Good memories.

Gotta love sports that involve a tea break. - I can't make head or tail of the score tables though.  

Looks like my Harry Beckett reissue LP is on its way! :excited:

Now if only Ogun would reissue ‘Got It Made’.

15 hours ago, jazzscriveyn said:

Aaah yes, thanks, the scoring pegs make it ever so clear.

I’m glad that the Dutch don’t play cricket. :D  Oh, hang on - I think they do !

On 8/7/2020 at 4:26 PM, kh1958 said:

Purchased today:

Christian Scott, Axiom (pre-order), and

Sun Ra, Hartford College 1980, Solo Piano

I almost pulled the trigger on the Christian Scott. Will probably get it next month. This month I got:

a1966619799_16.jpg

Michael Thomas - Event Horizon

a2211425979_16.jpg

Sanah Kadoura - Hawk Eyes

a2878622865_16.jpg

Shiroishi / Byrnes / Wyche - Long Day

a2541920700_16.jpg

Logan Richardson - Live At the Ropeadope Room

a1635402930_16.jpg

Goldfingaz - Supreme Style

On 8/7/2020 at 0:50 PM, bresna said:

$9.99 to ship a $9.99 CD! Ouch. I think I'll pass.

Maybe... but it's only available as a digital download. I'm not a huge fan of that. Maybe it's time I change my attitude on this?

Those shipping charges are a bit wacky on the surface.  It gets bumped down to $5.99 per disc on additional CDs.  $20 for the first CD and $16 per additional disc with shipping is not bad; it'd sound better priced at $15 per disc at $5 shipping for the first disc and $1 per additional disc, though. 

There are a few Fielder discs available  on Amazon for $9.99 with Prime shipping.  I ordered The Hipster (with Danny Grissett) yesterday, which was marked down to $3.74 (probably due to a damaged case, as it is back to $9.99 today).  He released a recording from 1983 with a young Geri Allen a couple years ago that I'd like to hear.

Edited by Justin V

6 hours ago, Justin V said:

There are a few Fielder discs available  on Amazon for $9.99 with Prime shipping.  I ordered The Hipster (with Danny Grissett) yesterday, which was marked down to $3.74 (probably due to a damaged case, as it is back to $9.99 today).  He released a recording from 1983 with a young Geri Allen a couple years ago that I'd like to hear.

It's funny you say that as it's exactly what I did. I found Fielder's "Plays the Music of Pepper Adams" and "Each Time I think of You" on Amazon so I grabbed them.

• 4 weeks later...

Another Bandcamp fee waiver day yesterday and I picked up (on CD and USB Drive)

Alan Braufman, The Fire Still Burns

Steve Kuhn Trio, To and From the Heart

Diego Urcola and Paquito D'Rivers, El Duelo

Jackie Venson, JV Mixtape (USB Drive) 

Edited by kh1958

Picked these up yesterday:

We Have Amnesia Sometimes, by Yo La Tengo
Michael Gregory Jackson's SIGNAL! Live EP!, by Michael Gregory Jackson
The Fantastic Mrs. 10, by TIM BERNE'S SNAKEOIL
Even Better, by MICHAEL FORMANEK VERY PRACTICAL TRIO with Tim Berne and Mary Halvorson

a3328934518_16.jpg

Shrines - Armand Hammer (BackwoodzStudioz)

a0452357320_10.jpg

Counterbalance - Nick Mazzarella Trio (Astral Spirits)

a0002342599_16.jpg

Connect - Charles Tolliver (Gearbox Records)

a4055882668_16.jpg

The Concert: 12 Musings for Isabella - Jason Palmer (GiantStep Arts)

a1495114141_16.jpg

Trio New York - Ellery Eskelin (Prime Source)

Edited by sonnyhill

• 1 month later...