COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Now might be a good time to reflect on the evolution of men's urinary disposal systems in sports stadiums big and small over the last century?

Unfortunately, I’ve seen people in a certain inebriated state use systems other than toilets in old Yankee Stadium. 

I've been in places where you literally pissed in a pan. An elongated fabricated metal pan on the ground that had a hole that went into some kind of drainage pipe. This was in the middle 1960s where I guess guys didn't mind getting together and pissing in a hole between innings or quarters or whatever. For an 8 year old, that was a weird scene, but hey, men and their pissing, such a rich heritage upon which to draw!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Now might be a good time to reflect on the evolution of men's urinary disposal systems in sports stadiums big and small over the last century?

Reminds me of the million dollar idea I once had: License sports team insignias for urinal cakes. Imagine if Red Sox fans could piss on the Yankee logo.  Seminoles pissing on Gators. It works everywhere, for every team sport. Million dollar idea, easy. Might even increase consumption of beverages.

All it would have taken is an acceptance of your team getting pissed on in exchange for the knowledge that your opponent gets it too. Fair trade.

Also, now that I think of it, the imprint would have to be urine-proof for maximum enjoyment.

And speaking of the trough system in use at many older stadiums (FSU had them when I attended, and Fenway too at least before they spent the money on renovations): You can only have so many urinal cakes in there, leading to the inevitable cross-streams and drunken competition.

20 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Reminds me of the million dollar idea I once had: License sports team insignias for urinal cakes. Imagine if Red Sox fans could piss on the Yankee logo.  Seminoles pissing on Gators. It works everywhere, for every team sport. Million dollar idea, easy. Might even increase consumption of beverages.

All it would have taken is an acceptance of your team getting pissed on in exchange for the knowledge that your opponent gets it too. Fair trade.

Also, now that I think of it, the imprint would have to be urine-proof for maximum enjoyment.

And speaking of the trough system in use at many older stadiums (FSU had them when I attended, and Fenway too at least before they spent the money on renovations): You can only have so many urinal cakes in there, leading to the inevitable cross-streams and drunken competition.

Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego had those troughs in the bathrooms. I still shudder when I think of walking into one of those when the Padres had a "Beer On Sale" promotion for a game.. THE HORROR!!!!!

Guys, I'm talking not even troughs, not even elevated off the ground. I'm talking fabricated metal pans, like shower pans, only urinal length. Right on the freaking ground, maybe/probably set in concrete, now that I think of it, but not in any way elevated off the ground, and with no side guards other than like, a 3" rim around it.

Just now, JSngry said:

Guys, I'm talking not even troughs, not even elevated off the ground. I'm talking fabricated metal pans, like shower pans, only urinal length. Right on the freaking ground, maybe/probably set in concrete, now that I think of it, but not in any way elevated off the ground, and with no side guards other than like, a 3" rim around it.

Did everybody go back to their seats with wet ankles?

I was just a kid then...who knows? Probably.

What's interesting is that all this everybody-whip-it-out-and-let-it-rip stuff was before integration. I recall a lot of, uh...movement to respect "personal privacy needs" once mass urination became a mixed-race spectacle.

That's something else they don't teach you in history books.

6 hours ago, Brad said:

You mean like these? These were common in Spain in the 60s. When I went to China in the 90s I was amazed to see the same thing. 

8E4DCB56-7DD2-40F0-BB9A-859C8786B1C3.jpeg

On 2020-05-16 at 0:54 AM, felser said:

Squat toilets are still in use in some parts of Europe. And they are not only for urinating, but also for... the other kind. 

Only ten years ago, I even encountered one in a cheap hotel room in a French village. If used right, they are much more hygienic than ordinary toilets. But obviously not as comfortable. Sometimes there is a water hose which eliminates the need for toilet paper. 

Edited by Daniel A

39 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I remember the urinals at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago in the 60's having ice in them to pee on.

The last time I was at Leona's in Chicago (the one way north, probably Edgewater) there was still ice in the urinals.  This was 2018 or so!  I think at this point it's just a tradition with them.

It's been a long time, but I do remember the long metal urinals with no dividers.  Probably some dive bar but I can't remember where or when.

8 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Squat toilets are still in use in some parts of Europe. And they are not only for urinating, but also for... the other kind. 

Only ten years ago, I even encountered one in a cheap hotel room in a French village. If used right, they are much more hygienic than ordinary toilets. But obviously not as comfortable. Sometimes there is a water hose which eliminates the need for toilet paper. 

Yes, for number two! Never seen the hose thing, thank goodness.  

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Indeed. France!

And as for being much more hygienic, since they were in use until not long ago at all (maybe still are) in toilet facilities on many, many "Route Nationale" highway pull-ins ("rest area" would be too kind a word for places with THIS ...) you can imagine that they were NOT that hygienic to use - not to mention the contortions needed to avoid slipping. :D (Yeah, disgusting description, but that's what these places were too).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I work in the non-WEIRD* world where squat toilets are de rigueur.   No toilet paper, just a bucket of water to splash.

Oh, you might find a commode in a Western Hotel, airport, touristy spot, but squat toilets are the better choice than open-field defecation.  (Big push to end this in India under Modi.)

See also : Elephant Foot Toilets

* Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic.

Edited by BeBop

Cases in our county have been slowly inching up again. As the outbreak in Beijing shows, this is going to be with us for some time, with the fall and winter expected to be bad. I believe that we will see things looking like they did in March and April when we were locked up in our homes. With that in mind, I will be stocking up on PPE to get us through the fall to the spring. 

5 hours ago, Brad said:

Cases in our county have been slowly inching up again. As the outbreak in Beijing shows, this is going to be with us for some time, with the fall and winter expected to be bad. I believe that we will see things looking like they did in March and April when we were locked up in our homes. With that in mind, I will be stocking up on PPE to get us through the fall to the spring. 

It's already getting plenty bad again in Texas, Arizona, and Florida.  I expect it to get even worse in the weeks to come.  Meanwhile, the Onion scores again in the satire-is-truer-than-truth category:

City enters phase 4 of pretending coronavirus is over

I'm volunteering to be tested tomorrow. I drove from the Napa Valley to Salt Lake City, so I went through, and interacted, with people from two different states. Better to safe than sorry, I have an eighty-two year old mother, and I'd hate to give it to her. Weird times!