COVID-19 III: No Politics For Thee

17 hours ago, Matthew said:

I'm volunteering to be tested tomorrow. I drove from the Napa Valley to Salt Lake City, so I went through, and interacted, with people from two different states. Better to safe than sorry, I have an eighty-two year old mother, and I'd hate to give it to her. Weird times!

Hope it's just a cold! My 1.5 year old son had a fever two weeks ago. Wanted to get him tested but they warned us that the test was really an awful experience for such a young child. So we stayed at home for a week and then it appeared to be the sixth disease, or Roseola as some people call it I thinks. Anyway, nothing bad fortunately. My boy can see his grandparents again :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wishing the best for everybody.  I certainly don't think I contracted it, though I work at the main commuting hub for Toronto, so most likely would have been in contact with someone with COVID but then everything shut down.  At some point when the antibody tests are better and more widespread, I may take one just to see.

Remove if necessary, but the dumbness is just so overwhelming...

President Donald Trump’s campaign says six staff members helping set up for his Saturday night rally in Tulsa, Okla., have tested positive for coronavirus.

The campaign’s communications director, Tim Murtaugh, said in a statement that “quarantine procedures” were immediately initiated and no staff member who tested positive would attend the event. He said no one who had immediate contact with those staffers would attend, either.

Murtaugh said campaign staff members are tested for COVID-19 as part of the campaign’s safety protocols. Campaign officials say everyone who attends the rally will be given temperature checks before they pass through security. They will also be given masks to wear, if they want, and hand sanitizer at the 19,000-seat BOK Center.

The rally is expected to be the biggest indoor event the U.S. has seen since restrictions to prevent the coronavirus from spreading began in March.

(Emphasis added)

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Wishing the best for everybody.  I certainly don't think I contracted it, though I work at the main commuting hub for Toronto, so most likely would have been in contact with someone with COVID but then everything shut down.  At some point when the antibody tests are better and more widespread, I may take one just to see.

Remove if necessary, but the dumbness is just so overwhelming...

President Donald Trump’s campaign says six staff members helping set up for his Saturday night rally in Tulsa, Okla., have tested positive for coronavirus.

The campaign’s communications director, Tim Murtaugh, said in a statement that “quarantine procedures” were immediately initiated and no staff member who tested positive would attend the event. He said no one who had immediate contact with those staffers would attend, either.

Murtaugh said campaign staff members are tested for COVID-19 as part of the campaign’s safety protocols. Campaign officials say everyone who attends the rally will be given temperature checks before they pass through security. They will also be given masks to wear, if they want, and hand sanitizer at the 19,000-seat BOK Center.

The rally is expected to be the biggest indoor event the U.S. has seen since restrictions to prevent the coronavirus from spreading began in March.

(Emphasis added)

Such bullshit!!

Boomers suck.

49 minutes ago, Brad said:

A lot of people seem to think they have the right to go anywhere they choose.

Which is why directionality matters. Two rights, and you go down. Three rights and you make a left. Four rights, and there you are again,

Be we Billy, or be we not Billy, this is the question that must always have the correct answer at the ready:

Nevertheless, hey boomers. Boomers suck. We all getting old and can't predict which way we going, because we can't tell up from down or all around, we're like a see-saw, we see a saw and don't know when or what to cut out.

I blame it all on our history of following blindly.

Sounds like some promising news on the vaccine front, though the early signs are that it may not be as effective for seniors.  Quite a long road still to go, however.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/23/covid-19-vaccine-may-not-work-for-at-risk-older-people-say-scientists

Am pleased that Toronto has just moved into Stage 2 of recovery, so more retail, barbershops, easier access to dentists(!), and probably art galleries and museums opening up.  No indoor concerts or theatre yet.  For several weeks, Toronto was the last really locked down major metro area in North America, but our metrics have been moving in the right direction.  Hopefully the second wave won't be as bad as the experts fear.  (Not looking great in the States, but a bit more under control up here.)

The power of (online) journalism, folks.  TPM broke the story earlier this week that the Trump admin was planning to end its support for testing sites in Texas and other states at the end of this month, in spite of the resurgence and rise in cases of coronavirus.  Now Texas GOP senators Cruz and Cornyn are demanding that the federal govt continue to support those sites.  This is a *very* bipartisan, apolitical virus!  

Edited by ghost of miles

Ok, Texas is certainly incredibly fertile ground for ALL kinds of Libertarian/Far-Right/Lunatic Fringe/Etc initiatives, but there is not a lack of nuance therein.

Keep an eye on the trio of Abbot/Cruz/Cornyn vis-à-vis El Presidente, there is no lack of bad blood there, this being the latest: https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/19/empower-texans-greg-abbott/

How do we live with this shit? By just living with it, and not letting it ruin our day. To this point, that's been do-able with all the other abundances of goodlife that the inalienable creator has given us, not just right, but 360s! :g

But, at least not yet, at least not yet in a public hearing caught on tape for the whole world to hear,nobody here has been accused of masks being the devil's work. For that honor, you have to go to our good friends in the Great State Of...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/24/mask-mandate-florida-anger-erupts-coronavirus-vpx.cnn

I guess in Florida, they reject the Devil. In Texas, it's more like, get in line Satan, you'll get your turn soon enough. :g

Some seem to think the mask is a magic shield and is effective even when worn on the chin. It never needs to be cleaned or disposed of and perspiration is not a problem.

Here is some good news. There is no evidence that the protests/demonstrations have caused any spikes.

National Bureau of Economic Research:

"Our findings suggest that any direct decrease in social distancing among the subset of the population participating in the protests is more than offset by increasing social distancing behavior among others who may choose to shelter-at-home and circumvent public places while the protests are underway," the report reads.

"There are other possible explanations for our findings as well, such as avoiding travel outside the home due to additional traffic congestion or street closures, or due to lack of available activities from businesses closures near protest sites"

So,.....you stay home if I go out and all is good.