What are your plans shopping at record stores when they reopen?

jcam_44

What are your thoughts record shopping Post-Covid reopening assuming no vaccine?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been thinking about this lately as things appear to be re-opening soon. I, like most here, I assume, enjoy perusing record stores when I get a chance. With the prospect of retail re-opening soon I was wondering others thoughts on shopping specifically for records. The reason I've been thinking of this is, as much as I miss hunting for records, and as much as I want to support my local shops, the prospect of thumbing through bins given the current environment doesn't have the same appeal to me. I understand there are many factors that may lend to why you answer why you do, and they are personal (age, health, etc) and private (such is this poll), but I am curious how others feel on physically browsing through bins. 

I've been thinking about this too. There aren't many record shops I'd REALLY want to go to but I'd like to so I'll see and find out how they handle things. Wearing a face mask is no problem, but I wouldn't want to be rushed because- say, only 3 or 4 are allowed to enter at one time and there are more waiting. (Normally this is no big deal because apart from special action days you always have plenty of room between customers and no risk at rubbing elbows with the nearest peruser. But do we know in the current situation?) But it IS a shop where you have to take your time to make the rounds. So if they want to rush me they can keep their records for the time being.
I have a slightly uneasy feeling about browsing through the records that obviously are touched by everyone but either you do it all the way or you don't do it at all. With THIS kind of goods there are are no in-betweens. Besides, when you shop for your groceries (and no, I don't wear gloves there and nobody else does either around here), even if you really try to avoid picking items and then placing them back, it DOES happen. and with others too. And there NEVER is ANYBODY to guarantee you that the one who just browsed the same rack 2 minutes before and had second thoughts and put back the pack you now are taking is NOT loaded to the hilt with little Covids. So there you are ...
But hand sanitizers and gloves? Come on ...!!! How often would you want to sanitize your hands? Every 10 LPs handled? As for gloves, I hope anyone all out to wear these when goign to any kind of shop or public area where surfaces have to be touched realizes that beyond any "feelgood" effect he just postpones the problem of potential virus contact - or else he'd have to change them (in such a manner that no bare fingertips get into contact with any glove surface) every couple of minutes all day long.

I've gone into other stores, including re-opened hardware stores, but I've never really been much of a crate digger, and thus will be able to hold off for quite a while.  Bookstores are more my weakness, but even so, I think I can wait until at least the late fall, and then it will be mask for sure and probably gloves.

There's really only one candidate store (which also sells books), it's over an hour's drive away, and I don't go unless I'm in the neighborhood on a work errand...but I would visit subject to spacing (preferably 1 person at a time in shop), gloves, mask. I will be in the neighborhood mid-June, but don't expect the shop to be open at that time. I'll walk past and look in the window, though.

Edited by T.D.

I have been 100% online music buying for years, so no personal loss to me.  I do miss the sensations of finding an amazing bargain, or going even further back, to finding a prize in a cutout bin or crate that you never even knew existed (a lot of cutout 60's Blue Notes came my way in the 70's via that route).

I've been giving more thought about when would I feel comfortable seeing live music.   I think wind instruments and vocalists will have to wait a year.   Maybe jazz clubs will start promoting less popular musicians given they'll need to maintain table distance?  That could be a positive.

We have a small record store in town and I’ve bought a lot of stuff from him over the years and plan to go back when he opens. I talked to him today and he says the place has been sanitized. Everybody will need to wear a mask but he will provide gloves if you want them. 

Wow, I just noticed that the shop I mentioned above is open to a limited degree. Posted on Facebook 5/15: 

XXX records in XXX is OPEN! Kinda.This Saturday & Sunday. Make an appointment for a private shopping time, wear a mask, we will provide fresh gloves. Tried this last weekend & it worked out nicely! Contact rick directly or message us here via FB messenger. You may also drop of trades of LP's , DVDs , CDs & books ( just the good stuff!)

I would shop under those conditions. Maybe I'll get in touch in mid-June, when I expect to be in the neighborhood (it'll be a weekday, though).

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

Wow, I just noticed that the shop I mentioned above is open to a limited degree. Posted on Facebook 5/15: 

XXX records in XXX is OPEN! Kinda.This Saturday & Sunday. Make an appointment for a private shopping time, wear a mask, we will provide fresh gloves. Tried this last weekend & it worked out nicely! Contact rick directly or message us here via FB messenger. You may also drop of trades of LP's , DVDs , CDs & books ( just the good stuff!)

I would shop under those conditions. Maybe I'll get in touch in mid-June, when I expect to be in the neighborhood (it'll be a weekday, though).

That’s a nice approach. I would be open to that as well. I placed an online order with a shop a couple weeks ago and when I went to pick up they asked if I wanted to browse. There were a couple patrons masks around their necks and the shop owner no mask in sight (Later learned they’ve been open The whole stay-at-home order). I declined and haven’t considered supporting them anymore. It was off-putting, especially personally knowing shop owners who aren’t curcumventing the rules. 

As a record store owner, I can tell you that we are considering all the options for when we open. Masks will be required, and we will recommend gloves (staff will be wearing both).  We will have to limit the number of customers (haven't decided how many yet, somewhere between 4 and 6). We are not a high volume store, so this will not be a big problem. Our projected date is June 8, but that could change - it all depends on the governor. I'm hoping that restrictions will have relaxed a bit by then, but I'm not counting on it. The store is geared toward browsing, and we have always encouraged people to take their time. Hopefully, that won't change.

I'm taking the same policy about record stores that I am everything else - wait and see. I figure we'll have a good picture of what's happening 4-6 weeks after "opening up". If it looks safe enough that a mask and stuff is a pretty sure safe bet, I'll get out there and resume the hunting. But if things are getting spiky again....no.

Not planning to shop for records anytime soon but that is both local and online and not reflective of Corona Concern and more reflective of financial and time constraints (nearest decent one is at least 30 minute drive and since moving four years ago I had only managed one trip there anyway.)

12 hours ago, T.D. said:

The local record shop in town is contemplating such an approach. 

26 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I'm in no hurry to return to in-person shopping.  Between Bandcamp  and deals on Amazon, eBay and Discogs, I'm scratching my itch.  I've also been diving deeper into my collection.

I’ve picked up a few new things but agree it’s been nice digging deeper into my collection. I found so many things I bought and never got around to. Usually when I picked up a large haul at amoeba or on vacation without a record/cd player and never got to them. 

• 5 weeks later...

They just started opening record shops in London, and I went for it: Yo-Yo on Hackney Road, for anyone who knows it. 

The experience was fun - I had to book ahead, and got one on one service (no one else was allowed in). I felt like I was at some sort of upmarket Tokyo sushi bar that only allows one table at a time. 

Anyway, I went a bit nuts after three months of restraint.

15 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Always find their prices are inflated. Nice selection and people though.

They are a bit, although I find that there is a step up when they think something’s really saleable (e.g., the stuff on the website). The rest is more reasonable.

Overall, a bit cheaper than e.g. Discogs, with postage, and they do get good stuff in, rather than just stocking the same old.

On 5/18/2020 at 11:22 AM, ejp626 said:

I've gone into other stores, including re-opened hardware stores, but I've never really been much of a crate digger, and thus will be able to hold off for quite a while.  Bookstores are more my weakness, but even so, I think I can wait until at least the late fall, and then it will be mask for sure and probably gloves.

Yes, bookstores.   I'm viewing the retailers of my life much like the grocery stores.  I'll suit-up (mask and gloves), shop, then decontaminate.  If I buy something, it gets decontaminated too.  I have no home, so mail order isn't an option. 

Edited by BeBop

On 5/19/2020 at 10:04 PM, T.D. said:

I was in the neighborhood Tues. 6/16 and stopped in w/o warning. I was the only customer, the proprietor and an assistant were at the front desk. I had a mask on, they had a box of disposable gloves from which I took a pair. Only had a few minutes to shop before a business appt., but they had lots of inventory and I found 3 interesting used CDs, a big purchase for me.

The shop is too far away (over 1 hour drive) to merit a special trip, but I wouldn't hesitate to revisit if nearby on a weekday. I'd avoid it on weekends or when lots of customers might be expected. The only sour note: neither the proprietor nor the young assistant wore masks. That's not wildly outlying behavior in my area (rural Ulster Co., NY). For instance, I declined to enter a barber shop today because the barber (sole proprietor) didn't require an appointment and had no "mask required" or "one customer at a time" signs on the front door. But most merchants wear/require masks.

Edited by T.D.

Stereo Jack's reopened on June 8, with limited hours. We are requiring face masks, limiting customers to no more than 4 at a time, and we have erected plexiglass windows and other see through barriers to isolate any possible contamination. At first we were concerned about whether or not we would see any customers, but I am happy to report that the response has been very positive. After a few days, we decided to resume our normal hours. Business has been good, and I would like to think that we will be able to crawl out of the hole of debt that we have dug for ourselves after being closed for 11 weeks.

Our local record store opened yesterday and I went there late in the day. Only the owner and one other customer was there, and they wore masks. I wore a mask and gloves. I didn’t find the experience particularly enjoyable, especially as it was quite hot and the place is not air conditioned. Looking through the stacks while trying to properly breathe was not easy.  It may be awhile before I return there, sad to say. 

6 hours ago, Stereojack said:

Stereo Jack's reopened on June 8, with limited hours. We are requiring face masks, limiting customers to no more than 4 at a time, and we have erected plexiglass windows and other see through barriers to isolate any possible contamination. At first we were concerned about whether or not we would see any customers, but I am happy to report that the response has been very positive. After a few days, we decided to resume our normal hours. Business has been good, and I would like to think that we will be able to crawl out of the hole of debt that we have dug for ourselves after being closed for 11 weeks.

Good to hear you're still hanging in there, Jack!!

gregmo