“West Coast Manne: Shelly Manne In The 1950s”

Last week’s Night Lights show, broadcast in honor of drummer Shelly Manne’s centenary, is up for online listening:

West Coast Manne: Shelly Manne In The 1950s

It includes music from Manne’s collaborations with Shorty Rogers, Jimmy Giuffre, and Russ Freeman; an excerpt from Bill Holman’s Quartet; tracks from Manne’s recordings of the music from My Fair Lady and Peter Gunn; a sideman appearance with Ornette Coleman; a cut from the first Poll Winners album; and a live recording at the Black Hawk in San Francisco.

Edited by ghost of miles

Manne's 5 CD set from The Blackhawk has always been, at least for me, the very essence of live, small group jazz.  If the story is to be believed, it was Manne himself who recognized that something special was afoot and arranged for a mobile recording unit to capture the band's live performances over several consecutive nights.  The results speak for themselves.

Edited by Dave James

42 minutes ago, Brad said:

Lighthouse at Laguna has always been one of my favorite Shelly dates. 

I thought about trying to make room for a Lighthouse recording--not to mention tearing my hair out over what to include from the Black Hawk.  Quite a wealth of music to choose from, that's for sure.

12 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Last week’s Night Lights show, broadcast in honor of drummer Shelly Manne’s centenary, is up for online listening:

West Coast Manne: Shelly Manne In The 1950s

It includes music from Manne’s collaborations with Shorty Rogers, Jimmy Giuffre, and Russ Freeman; an excerpt from Bill Holman’s Quartet; tracks from Manne’s recordings of the music from My Fair Lady and Peter Gunn; a sideman appearance with Ornette Coleman; a cut from the first Poll Winners album; and a live recording at the Black Hawk in San Francisco.

That Shelly Manne Peter Gunn album was one of my introductions to West Coast Jazz!

• 1 year later...