Happy Birthday, Sonny Simmons.

Hardbopjazz

10 hours ago, felser said:

'Rumasuma' is badly in need of a CD issue.  Should have been a no-brainer OJC.  We've been waiting for over 30 years!  The other huge miss by OJC is 'Home' by Gary Bartz with Woody Shaw.

Totally. So happy I jumped on Burning Spirits, promo used! But come on, Bartz, Shaw, Contemporary, in that really interesting period, period? Neglected! And I mean that part of Contemporary, not the Peppers, Hawes, or the Manns ( and I like that later period where Mann was getting freer (Kessel, Tal too.) Deserves reissues! 

10 hours ago, felser said:

'Rumasuma' is badly in need of a CD issue.  Should have been a no-brainer OJC.  We've been waiting for over 30 years!  The other huge miss by OJC is 'Home' by Gary Bartz with Woody Shaw.

Fully agree! Simmons remains such a underrated figure. I’ve always loved the way he connected bop and free jazz and his warm voice. A very creative and original artist. I always wonder why for instance the Japanese reissue companies never issued such a record as Rumasuma. Glad I secured a vinyl copy last year.

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Fully agree! Simmons remains such a underrated figure. I’ve always loved the way he connected bop and free jazz and his warm voice. A very creative and original artist. I always wonder why for instance the Japanese reissue companies never issued such a record as Rumasuma. Glad I secured a vinyl copy last year.

11 hours ago, felser said:

Never heard it, is it worth the cd wait?

A stupid question to some, but I'm entirely out of the vinyl market.  

4 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

I know its here, but in a strange way, I don't want to ruin the experience, but then again, if this is the only way I can listen to it....

Take the opportunity to hear it.  At this late date, it's very unlikely to receive reissue.

On 7/4/2022 at 6:04 AM, Holy Ghost said:

I know its here, but in a strange way, I don't want to ruin the experience, but then again, if this is the only way I can listen to it....

Just click the YouTube "play" button (you probably already have!) and let it play. Simmons plays well, but Donald plays really, really well. Barbara Donald should have been on Ascension