LF: Charlie Parker Complete Royal Roost Broadcasts

14 minutes ago, bluesForBartok said:

Hi all - I'm looking to acquire the most comprehensive collection of Bird's Royal Roost Broadcasts. Before I scour on eBay and Discogs, I wanted to see if anyone here has a collection they're interested in selling. 

Thanks,

BfB

Are you looking for the late 1980s Savoy CDs, which include all of the Symphony Sid chatter and plugs and some bop vocalese that was left off the later Savoy set? Unless there are boots out there with added material, I think the four individual late-80s CDs are the most comprehensive gathering of those broadcasts. I don’t wish to sell mine but will keep an eye out at my local record store, where I’ve seen them turn up used sometimes. It’s also quite possible that they’ve been rebundled in their entirety at some point by an Andorran outfit (to use some very old-school Organissimo parlance).

10 minutes ago, colinmce said:

I'm listening to the 4xCD Savoy box now!

This one?

It’s a great set, with excellent notes by Loren Schoenberg. Dan Marx at Savoy told me they opted to clip out a lot of Sid’s banter, the commercials, and the bop vocalese tracks, and to include the 1947 Carnegie Hall recordings with Diz and the Chicago 1950 date instead. Which, musically speaking, was a good choice. But I also ended up hunting down the rest of the prior 1980s Savoy “Bird At The Roost” CDs, in part because I was making a long nightly work commute at the time and enjoyed hearing the flow of the entire broadcasts. Sometimes it’s cool to hear the music in its original context—Symphony Sid noting celebrities in the audience, etc. I don’t know, though, if there’s a collection of the 1948-49 Parker Roost broadcasts that includes even more material than was issued on the four late-1980s Savoy volumes.

33 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

This one?

It’s a great set, with excellent notes by Loren Schoenberg. Dan Marx at Savoy told me they opted to clip out a lot of Sid’s banter, the commercials, and the bop vocalese tracks, and to include the 1947 Carnegie Hall recordings with Diz and the Chicago 1950 date instead. Which, musically speaking, was a good choice. But I also ended up hunting down the rest of the prior 1980s Savoy “Bird At The Roost” CDs, in part because I was making a long nightly work commute at the time and enjoyed hearing the flow of the entire broadcasts. Sometimes it’s cool to hear the music in its original context—Symphony Sid noting celebrities in the audience, etc. I don’t know, though, if there’s a collection of the 1948-49 Parker Roost broadcasts that includes even more material than was issued on the four late-1980s Savoy volumes.

Yep. I wasn't aware of those earlier issues, but I can see the logic in your thinking. I think I'm set with this; still plenty of Symphony Sid!

Not sure, but there was a late-era "Savoy" (meaning that they were then owned either by Arista or Muse) series of LPs that reissued the complete broadcasts? Not a set, mind you, just a series, of double and single LPs.

That era of Savoy was just gloriously wonky about shit. I mean GLORIOUSLY. Worth looking at to see if it would fit your needs.

50 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

This one?

So I have the official Savoy one you are linking to. The ones I'm seeing out there are:

Complete Royal Roost Broadcasts

and

he Complete Royal Roost Live Recordings on Savoy Years Vol. 1-4

By the looks of these, they include the full broadcasts which is what I'm looking for. Anyone have these and/or can you confirm these are the complete broadcasts including the stuff the Savoy release cut out?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, bluesForBartok said:

So I have the official Savoy one you are linking to. The ones I'm seeing out there are:

Complete Royal Roost Broadcasts

and

By the looks of these, they include the full broadcasts which is what I'm looking for. Anyone have these and/or can you confirm these are the complete broadcasts including the stuff the Savoy release cut out?

Thanks

Hey, yes, the second one you link to is what I'm talking about, although I have the 1988 U.S. versions--but it appears that the later Japanese issues include all of the tracks on the U.S. versions.  I'm not sure about the first set you're linking to.

6 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

A little bit of Symphony Sid goes a long way.

There is some additional Royal Roost material (not on Savoy) on a release called New Bird--Rare Live Recordings & Interviews (Swan Records).

Definitely, I understand it's not to most listeners' taste--that's one reason why Dan Marx and the Savoy reissue producers opted to cut out a lot of it from the 1998 set.  I'm glad to have both versions but always recommend the 1998 collection to anybody interested in live Parker from this period.  And thanks for the hat-tip on the Swan Records release... I figured there were some stray Roost broadcasts out there that didn't fall under the umbrella of the Savoy-owned material.

43 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Definitely, I understand it's not to most listeners' taste--that's one reason why Dan Marx and the Savoy reissue producers opted to cut out a lot of it from the 1998 set.  I'm glad to have both versions but always recommend the 1998 collection to anybody interested in live Parker from this period.  And thanks for the hat-tip on the Swan Records release... I figured there were some stray Roost broadcasts out there that didn't fall under the umbrella of the Savoy-owned material.

Basically, five tracks (about 20 minutes of material) on that CD are on par (musically and soundwise) with the Savoy broadcast material--so it's a matter of your level of Bird fanaticism (Mine = Extreme) as to whether it is worth buying.

4 hours ago, bluesForBartok said:

Thanks

Those four cds seem to exact copies of the 5 Savoy lps issued in the mid-80s. I compared the track lists to my viny

Hell yeah for those Savoy LPs then.

You kids today, you have no idea how wonky those guys got towards the end of their run...i LOVED it and still do.

2 LPS of Ray McKinley post WWII bad, in loving detail. Maybe 7 people bought it new, maybe 6 more as cutouts, WONKY!

And all those R&B things, more than any but the MOST deepcutters would be into. WONKY!

Fuck that wankers, but LOVE the wonkers!

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

2 LPS of Ray McKinley post WWII baNd, in loving detail. Maybe 7 people bought it new, maybe 6 more as cutouts, WONKY!

So I am one of the 7, then, I guess?  :D

And agreed on the 80s Savoy R&B twofers (and singles too, often) - and the bebop twofers too. Those Savoy reissues were some of those that i bought unheard-unseen whenever one came my way (funds permitting).

OTOH, I cannot really recall those Bird Roost LPs on Savoy made it to our local record shops (though the major ones had glorious jazz and R&B sections throughout the 80s) - or maybe the few that did were snapped up lightning fast ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve