RIP Ira Sullivan

Chuck Nessa

I saw him once here in Cleveland and he was incredible.  Between sets, his assistant sold CDs and got people lined up to meet and sit with Ira.  Ira and I chatted a bit (I asked about Jaco) and he signed the copy of Blue Stroll that I had just bought, telling me about picking up the peck horn during the session.  Before I left him, I asked if he might be willing to play 'I Waited for You'.  I very rarely ever request songs, so I don't know what inspired me to ask Ira to play that beautiful ballad other than having an inkling that he would know it.

During the next set, he asked the band if they knew it and they didn't.  Ira says on the microphone, "Where's Justin?  He asked for a tune, but the band doesn't know it.  He likes the tune and so do I, so I am going to play it anyway."  I was on cloud nine as Ira launched into it unaccompanied, wrapping the melody in his gorgeous soprano sound as the band eventually joined in behind him.

I'll always treasure the memory of that night.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Sullivan, and rest in peace.

5 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I saw him once here in Cleveland and he was incredible.  Between sets, his assistant sold CDs and got people lined up to meet and sit with Ira.  Ira and I chatted a bit (I asked about Jaco) and he signed the copy of Blue Stroll that I had just bought, telling me about picking up the peck horn during the session.  Before I left him, I asked if he might be willing to play 'I Waited for You'.  I very rarely ever request songs, so I don't know what inspired me to ask Ira to play that beautiful ballad other than having an inkling that he would know it.

During the next set, he asked the band if they knew it and they didn't.  Ira says on the microphone, "Where's Justin?  He asked for a tune, but the band doesn't know it.  He likes the tune and so do I, so I am going to play it anyway."  I was on cloud nine as Ira launched into it unaccompanied, wrapping the melody in his gorgeous soprano sound as the band eventually joined in behind him.

I'll always treasure the memory of that night.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Sullivan, and rest in peace.

Sounds just like him. During one of my recording sessions, studio guest Don DeMichael shouted out "play bebop". Ira turned to the booth and queried "The tune or the style". Then he called Dizzy's "That's Earl, Brother". That performance is on the record.

13 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Lovely story, Justin.  Thank you for sharing.

I'll never forget hearing him when I was a freshman in high school in 1956 or '57 at a Monday night session (Monday was a no drinks sold off night so young people could get in) at the Gate of Horn with Johnny Griffin, Jodie Christian, Donald Garrett, and Wilbur Campbell. They played "Night in Tunisia" and after Ira and Griffin soloed, Ira picked up his tenor and he and Griffin had a friendly tenor battle.

19 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I'll never forget hearing him when I was a freshman in high school in 1956 or '57 at a Monday night session (Monday was a no drinks sold off night so young people could get in) at the Gate of Horn with Johnny Griffin, Jodie Christian, Donald Garrett, and Wilbur Campbell. They played "Night in Tunisia" and after Ira and Griffin soloed, Ira picked up his tenor and he and Griffin had a friendly tenor battle.

Was there anyone -- ever -- who was able to play BOTH the trumpet/fluegelhorn AND reeds with such mastery? 

Benny Carter, maybe?  ... I can't think of anyone else.