For completists only....

Pim

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure I have all of Booker Little's (official) output, including sideman cept for a Pat Thomas Strand LP (Jazz Patterns) - wasn't aware of that one till & just checked the Lord Discography. Was released digitally by Fresh Sound (legit?).

Have also attempted Wardell Gray but that's a significant ask

11 hours ago, romualdo said:

I'm pretty sure I have all of Booker Little's (official) output, including sideman cept for a Pat Thomas Strand LP (Jazz Patterns) - wasn't aware of that one till & just checked the Lord Discography. Was released digitally by Fresh Sound (legit?).

Have also attempted Wardell Gray but that's a significant ask

I didn't realize until recently that Little had played on Frank Strozier's recordings for Vee Jay. As always, he played very, very well!

gregmo

12 hours ago, romualdo said:

Was released digitally by Fresh Sound (legit?).

Probably not...is it a needle-drop?

That's a good record, though. That Strand label is not readily available in the wild, and has a few good things in there, like a Slide Hampton (with both Booker Little AND Freddie Hubbard!), a Cat Anderson, and a Joe Zawinul, maybe one or tow others, but it's mostly curiosities at best.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/strand/strand.html

8 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I didn't realize until recently that Little had played on Frank Strozier's recordings for Vee Jay. As always, he played very, very well!

gregmo

It's all there (complete Strozier session) in the Chambers/Kelly Vee Jay Mosaic Box - includes two previously unreleased tracks - great music!!

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Probably not...is it a needle-drop?

That's a good record, though. That Strand label is not readily available in the wild, and has a few good things in there, like a Slide Hampton (with both Booker Little AND Freddie Hubbard!), a Cat Anderson, and a Joe Zawinul, maybe one or tow others, but it's mostly curiosities at best.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/strand/strand.html

Lots of (original) "Jazz Patterns" records for sale online - asking price quite cheap (IMHO) considering the amazing lineup supporting Pat. Only thing holding me back is the extortionate shipping costs to Australia.

4 hours ago, romualdo said:

It's all there (complete Strozier session) in the Chambers/Kelly Vee Jay Mosaic Box - includes two previously unreleased tracks - great music!!

I’m so far from being a completist that I could be considered an incompletist. That said, I don’t even like this Mosaic to be even mentioned, as I missed it. I want the boring extra takes even if though I don’t like them. 

The only person I went complete on was Ornette, and even there I deliberately didn’t finish. He’s quite an easy one though except for a couple of things. Most of the artists I like I couldn’t keep up with. Like others here I long ago concluded that collecting and listening aren’t the same thing. I have no time to listen! I’d also say though that collecting has a dynamic of its own. Especially for those of us who started pre-internet, when you really had to work hard to track things down, and grab it when you saw it. Even if you knew what was out there in the first place...

Edited by David Ayers

If you want to go insane, try to collect all of David Liebman's vast discography. Typically he seems to release several projects every year and there's as big a challenge keeping up with his guest appearances.

One of the toughest to find may be this private issue, sent only to a small group of friends, journalists and broadcasters:

https://www.discogs.com/Dave-Liebman-To-My-Masters/release/12975780

I imagine there is at least one other board member who has a copy.