AOW, March 21-28: Hank Jones, Upon Reflection

Nate Dorward

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have not received my CD, but all week I have been listening to the Thad Jones Mosaic box set with his mid fifties Blue Note and UA recordings. I was familiar with Jones' reputation as a composer/arranger, but I had never before heard any of his small group recordings. I am really enjoying the Mosaic box and after hearing it I find it curious that Thad's trumpet playing is not discussed more often. This is also the first time I have really listened to Billy Mitchell who similarly impresses throughout.

Great tunes and great playing. Really hoping the Hank Jones CD arrives today.

• 3 weeks later...

UPON REFLECTION is definitely one of many very fine Hank Jones albums, and the poignancy of the theme is certainly another attraction. I dig it, although can't say I return to it real often for some reason I haven't been able to pinpoint. I was perhaps even a bit disappointed in it, given the high praise I've heard from others and read about (e.g. in the Penguin Guide).

Have to say though that my all-time favorite Jones trio date is THE ORACLE (Verve), with Dave Holland and Billy Higgins. That is one remarkable album from start to finish, and many familiar with Jones will be more than a little surprised at the adventurousness of the music. Not that Jones isn't always incredibly sophisticated harmonically, but it's usually a bit more subtle and firmly within the mainstream. THE ORACLE takes the music out just a little bit, certainly not anything avant garde, but has an appealing edge that honestly I find sometimes a little lacking in Jones' music as a leader. A little hard to find these days - I think officially out of print, but it does pop up. Don't miss it.

Another amazing one is Jones' entry in the Maybeck hall series, though that I find more typical of his temperment. Still, nice to hear him in the solo format, you can read his thinking even more clearly than usual.

As far as Thad goes - I've yet to hear anything he was involved with that isn't worth at least a couple listens.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting to receive mine that I ordered through half.com about a month ago. Two weeks ago the seller informed me (after an inquiry from me) that it was out of stock and it should receive it shortly. I am still waiting, but any minute now I may just cancel that order and purchase it elsewhere.

I was gonna order a copy of my own, but am I reading this right? Zweitausendeins wants something like 25 EUR just to ship it overseas? If so, thanks but no; I'll stick with my happy little burn, thankyouberrymuch.

And speaking of that......

Many thanks to deaus62 for making a copy for me until I can find my own legit copy, which I hope to do soon. This is a wonderful album, one that invites many repeated CLOSE listenings. I guess my only real gripe with it, and it's a small one, is the number of bass solos (but then, that's only because I'm not a fan of bass solos to begin with).

But there is so much to love about this, not the least of which is the telepathy between Hank and Elvin. You guys were right: even on brushes, Elvin's still a monster player! But the tune I keep going back to is the title tune. What a song! So much emotion, and yet it's never overdone or bombastic; just very direct.

So I listened to it back to back with the Great Jazz Trio album, and I realized there's no comparison. Sure it's Hank and Elvin, but it's two completely different sessions and feelings. Needless to say, I like 'em both, not one over the other.

So, a great choice for an AOW! If someone can confirm that Zweitausendeins really does charge that much, then I'll continue my search here in the States. Otherwise, I'm gonna order that sucker posthaste!

If someone can confirm that Zweitausendeins really does charge that much, then I'll continue my search here in the States. Otherwise, I'm gonna order that sucker posthaste!

Correct. Shipping to the US is 22 EUR.

Can someone living close to an outlet maybe help Al out here?

Now that I got copies for Big Al and myself I could listen to this, at last. The music is beautiful, the compositions, and the way they play them. *****

But the sound ... almost like an electric piano in the beginning. George Mraz, one the most gorgeous sounding bassmen in the country, recorded with a pickup?! Listen to his Milestone CDs for a sample of how he really sounds. And the drums - as always, too far in the background, afraid of Elvin's thunderous sound. The brushes are lost in the mix at times. I've heard Elvin live and I know that's not how he sounds like. But the musicianship is first class, without a doubt. A worthy choice for Album of the week!

the dj talked about this cd after the song finished, it's a must have

indeed, one of the best possible introduction to the compositional personality of Thad Jones - I always liked his tunes, especially those on the Mosaic small group set, but this puts them in a new - and very positive - perspective.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to see folks having trouble getting this one. I ordered it from Amazon about 10 days ago or so and got it yesterday, so try that.

Someone earlier posted that he does not like bass solos. My comment is not intended as a slight, as taste and opinions are just that, but I'm just offering another perspective here. Unlike horn and piano solos, which arguably make up the backbone of small group jazz performance, I don't consider bass and drum solos necessary- that is, a set doesn't need them to be complete or excellent. If I see a group and neither solos, I don't care. So if they do solo, there should be a reason. They should have something to say with that spot, something of comparable musical value to the leads. Too often have I seen pointless solos taken just to give someone a moment in the spotlight.

I can't say I was familiar with Mraz' work before this. I tend to lean my ear towards the rhythm when listening to music (something done with relish on any date on which Jones is playing). Mraz' playing- both the solos and the comping- are very, very melodic. Not only does he favor going up on the neck, but he's often doubling a melody or playing in closer relation the Hank than Elvin. There a couple moments when he even does it a bit much, but that's OK. In this sense, he's like a tamer version of Scott LaFaro (contrast this to the Ray Brown school of trio bass playing, where he's always rooted on the ground).

Mraz' solo on Little Rascal on the Rock is particularly good (though I'm only half-way through the album. The title track is finishing up and it is beautiful).

After listening to this a few times, Mraz’s bass sounds like it was recorded a la the way Ron Carter used to be recorded for CTI back in the early 70’s. Me personally, I love that sound, but I can understand how/why a lot of people do not.

• 1 month later...