Renee Rosnes

jazzbo

I've ingnored this beautiful and talented pianist for too long, and I'm not sure why! I just hadn't thought to really check her out. . . .

I'm making up for lost time. I've been buying her cds when I can. She has become one of my favorite interpreters of Monk; her version of "Four In One" on For the Moment for example. . . she submerses herself into the Monk world and then just remains herself as well. . . no easy trick. She has a beautiful touch and sound on the piano, and she writes interesting material, leads great sessions and arranges well. She's got it all!

Rosnes-Renee-2002.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

She has great touch and sound on the piano. Check out the new Gerald Wilson 'New York Big Band' CD which features Renee on about half of the tracks and she sounds totally at home in Gerald's arrangements. Saw her some years ago in one of JJ Johnson's last quintets - JJ always did have really great taste in his piano players. I believe that she was born in Western Canada (was it Saskatoon?) and was very active on the Canadian scene before moving to the US.

Yeah, Randy mentions that Howard Alden Concord date TAKE YOUR PICK - I'm generally not much of a Concord Jazz kind of guy but that one is really good. Lew Tabackin, Rosnes, Alden, and a wonderful array of tunes including a couple by Herbie Nichols. Well worth a listen.

I saw Renee Rosnes in Joe Henderson's group in '97 or '98. I didn't know her then. I saw her again in "The Drummonds" with her husband, Billy Drummond and bassist Ray Drummond. I can highly recommend their album released on 32 Jazz (originally on a Japanese label, I believe). I think another album by this group came out last year or so.

Yeah, Randy mentions that Howard Alden Concord date TAKE YOUR PICK - I'm generally not much of a Concord Jazz kind of guy but that one is really good. Lew Tabackin, Rosnes, Alden, and a wonderful array of tunes including a couple by Herbie Nichols. Well worth a listen.

Add me to those who enjoy her playing, along with everyone else's, on Take Your Pick

• 1 year later...

I just bought this week my first Renee Rosnes CD: Ancestors, with Chris Potter and Nicholas Payton.

0724383463428-LF.jpg

A Foster, Peter Washington & Don Alias also deserve credit. This is one of the best recordings I've recently listened to and I need more Renee in my collection.

Edited by B. Goren.

BG, that's also the first Rosnes CD I bought and my reaction was the same as yours. Besides Rosnes I thought Potter was very good; actually my first exposure to him I think. I picked up 'Life on earth' which has some really nice compositions..there's a little 'world music' stuff here and there, but it adds color and doesn't take away from RR's strengths. :tup

BG, that's also the first Rosnes CD I bought and my reaction was the same as yours.  Besides Rosnes I thought Potter was very good; actually my first exposure to him I think.  I picked up 'Life on earth' which has some really nice compositions..there's a little 'world music' stuff here and there, but it adds color and doesn't take away from RR's strengths. :tup

Thanks montg. Just ordered 'Life on earth'.

I have ALL her albums (like 11) but my two favorites are her self-titled debut studio session on Blue Note "Renee Rosnes" (with her leaning against a yellow wall) because it has all those amazing cats (Branford, Wayne, Herbie, Lewis Nash, Ralph Bowen etc.) AND "Ancestors" (with Al Foster, Chris Potter, Peter Washington, Don Alias, Nick Payton, etc) which is dedicated to her then newly-discovered Native American heritage.

-matt

Edited by cannonball-addict