Geri Allen

jazzbo

What I am looking for is Allen's recording with Woody Shaw for Blue Note: Bemsha Swing. Have you ever listened to this CD? Any opinion???

Agreed that this is a very good live set. Shaw and Allen get to stretch out a lot and their playing is very strong.

I have yet to hear "The Gathering". It sits in many cheapie bins in the used CD stores around Boston and I've often wondered how "bad" it could be.

I love Allen's work with Ralph Peterson. The trio date, "Triangular" is especially nice but the other two, "Volition" and "V" have some great moments too.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• 1 year later...

There's a excellent condition used copy of Bemsha Swing 2 CD set on E-Bay right now, bidded at about $10 currently.

1986. I think this is the last disc Woody playing a lot of his originals ... before he went to playing all standards. At that point in time, I believe that he had no permanent label contract and no permanent working band, and I believe this session's budget was too low to include additional horn players (could be wrong about that, as he did talk in an interview about the challenges of playing trumpet quartet). Still, there's real talent on the session, as previously mentioned.

You can still hear the bite and fire in Woody's playing.

• 2 years later...

I have to admit I like the two larger group Blue Notes the best. Saw her live in a trio context, but somehow she couldn't mesmerize me, although she was thoroughly competent and swinging. Same with her trio LPs.

But I might try the one with Cox and Cyrille - is that still available?

And I always liked her playing as a sidewoman.

Geri plays a bit like Cecil Taylor on the two Ornette Coleman albums (Sound Museum: Three Women & Hidden Man). To me, the two albums sound very similar but its all great music.

I'm currently on a quest to get as many of her recordings as possible, even if she plays just a few bars on one song. :excited: This discography website is a great resource.

Next target will be the Classic Ellington disc with a symphony orchestra and Lena Horne on vocals.

Guest donald petersen

g_d i went to see her in 1999ish, drove into the VV from my parents...25 minute drive...i thought she would use a synthesizer a bit...she did not. i used to like driving in for the late late set on weekends though i felt like a sucker paying full price.

g_d i could have been at plaid. i was not very hip. jesus.

Guest donald petersen

i had read a nytimes review of a previous nights performance which said she has used a synth.

she played in a trio with two brothers on b/d.

• 13 years later...

There is a video on YouTube with audio from a live performance by Geri Allen, backed by Charlie Haden and Paul Motian.

it seems to have more or less the same cover as the Live at the Village Vanguard release on DIW.

Is this a bootleg of a live performance, or does anyone know whether it had an official release and/or is still available to purchase?

Thanks

On 5/27/2021 at 10:01 AM, Rabshakeh said:

There is a video on YouTube with audio from a live performance by Geri Allen, backed by Charlie Haden and Paul Motian.

it seems to have more or less the same cover as the Live at the Village Vanguard release on DIW.

Is this a bootleg of a live performance, or does anyone know whether it had an official release and/or is still available to purchase?

Thanks

I believe this is a boot, originating from a London performance that was broadcast on BBC. It has seemingly disappeared from the web apart from YouTube, though. 

If you don't already have it, the Geri + Paul + Charlie set from the Montreal Tapes is worth seeking out.

5 hours ago, Eric B said:

I believe this is a boot, originating from a London performance that was broadcast on BBC. It has seemingly disappeared from the web apart from YouTube, though. 

If you don't already have it, the Geri + Paul + Charlie set from the Montreal Tapes is worth seeking out.

Thanks. 

It's a good performance. It's a shame it isn't a real release, but maybe it will turn up one day. The music and sound quality are certainly good enough.