Weather Report: Black Market

Joe G

Guest youmustbe

Yeah, HEAVY WEATHER is a great POP album. Just about perfect!!!

Nowhere to go but down, after it. Especially when Erskine came in. never felt right.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER is my favorite though. Although, to be fair, the last one with Jaco has some very hip shit.

Fusion was a stange, once only musical era, in retrospect. Instrumental Rock and Roll. Audience loved it and then went somewhere else. I mean, who would you rather listen to back in those days, end of 70's, beginning 80's? Chick or Talking Heads? Or think, as WR was coming to a sorry end with Omar and Victor, (sad, but true. Does anyone listen to those records?), Herbie wa into ROCKIT. Hip Hop was starting to kill, regular Pop was marvelously inventive, like say, Elvis Costello, Brian Ferry, Robert Palmer, take your pick. Philip Glass and Steve Reich had hit their stride. And fusion?

Like anything else, it seeped into the musical language, still does. But, the halcyon days are gone. They were great. The xcitement as WR hit the stage, back in the 70's. RTF in 74 at Carnegie Hall. Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer at The Palladium. That's what the Swing Era must have been likewhen BG played at The Paramount.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only good ones!

And, that "Boogie Woogie Waltz" is a dangerous, DANGEROUS piece of music. You yhink yhere's nothing there, but you keep coming back to it, over and over. Finally, you don't CARE if there's anything there or not, you just gotta have it, whatever it is or isn't.

That's my experience anyway...

Not that it matters, but the main reason I asked is because I listened to MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER thru the headphones the other night, and those last three tracks hold pleasures I hadn't heard with simple listening. I was thinking that SWEETNIGHTER might've been along the same lines.

I guess I'll just have to get it and find out for myself!

Not that it matters, but the main reason I asked is because I listened to MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER thru the headphones the other night, and those last three tracks hold pleasures I hadn't heard with simple listening. I was thinking that SWEETNIGHTER might've been along the same lines.

Sweetnighter is a rougher, rawer album than Mysterious Traveller -- there's a lot less orchestration and post-production.

Guy

Quote from Big Al

the lineup on Black Market, which seems to have only lasted for this one album, is the one that does it for me!

You might like to check out Live and Unreleased. There are several tracks with Chester Thompson on drums, and either Jaco or Alphonso on bass. The shit rocks.

Just wondering if anyone knows about the latest remaster of Mysterious Traveller. It has a very dampened sound compared to Tale Spinnin' and Black Market. Also I heard some dropout in the middle of the first track. It sounds to me like it came from a secondary source. Anyone have the scoop on it?

Jim, I picked up "Live and Unreleased" yesterday, I've heard a lot of stuff from seasoned WR fans that it is not considered to be their best, I think it's very nice, especially "Where the Moon Goes" and Jaco's feature. I think I may order Live in Tokyo in a few mins. CDUniverse has it for $21.89. Money that I need for school stuff, goin down the drain :)

Just wondering if anyone knows about the latest remaster of Mysterious Traveller. It has a very dampened sound compared to Tale Spinnin' and Black Market. Also I heard some dropout in the middle of the first track. It sounds to me like it came from a secondary source. Anyone have the scoop on it?

Can you give us the cue where this dropout occurs. I'd like to compare it to the vinyl release.

Can you give us the cue where this dropout occurs. I'd like to compare it to the vinyl release.

Listening on headphones as I type this... a pretty noticable dropout occurs at 6:54, and I think that's the one that caught my attention. But the crash cymbals seem to be in rough shape all the way through. I don't know the techical term for it, but the sound never sustains in a continuous manner.

It just occurred to me that you might only have the vinyl, in which case the track timing wouldn't help. There's a theme that gets introduced at the halfway point and eventually is used to end the song. It's kind of a two part melody, and the first time through, part one gets played only twice, then the second part is played. Second time through, part one gets played four times, and it's during the fourth repeat that the dropout occurs.

Sorry if you do have the cd, then all that was unnecessary. Although it did make me pay attention in a new way, so that was fun. B) Let me know what you find.

Edited by Joe G

Jim, I picked up "Live and Unreleased" yesterday, I've heard a lot of stuff from seasoned WR fans that it is not considered to be their best, I think it's very nice, especially "Where the Moon Goes" and Jaco's feature.

CJ, I gave Where the Moon Goes a listen today after reading your post. That's a weird tune! Especially the vocals. Oh, the 80's <shudder>. I've been mainly listening to the first disc; all the stuff with Chester Thompson.

Joe, yes that tune is very weird. I just moved into my dorm again so it definitely tests the limits of the small surround speakers I have. What time sig is that in? sounds like 6 or 7 something to me. Live and Unreleased is my first WR purchase and I dig what I hear, gotta get the studio stuff and I decided to wait until I have more $$ to blow before getting "Live in Tokyo", probably till my next check.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Watch out Joe, you're becoming an audiophile...

:ph34r: