How old are YOU?

Dmitry

How old are YOU?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That's because they see all the "why isn't it available on CD, only on vinyl and download" comments :D

35 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

jazz lovers aka ok boomer?

Believe we were simply a different generation, and it was about the music .... when me going (partially) the route from vinyl to CD is was because of the medium`s larger capacities, bonus tracks, unedited tracks, complete concerts .... and not being hip by going the way reverse to get less music than possible/available ....

51 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Was about 20/21 when I started following the BNBB ... about to turn 24 when this site started.

By the "turning numbers" game I'd be 14, but that's an age I definitely don't feel a need to revisit ;)

same here, I was in my mid twenties when I joined this board... but it's been a while, so now I'm also approaching 40... re generations: it's not  so much listening to music on cd or vinyl which is unknown to today's 25 year olds...but rather the practice of exchanging ideas on an online bulletin board

32 minutes ago, Niko said:

it's not  so much listening to music on cd or vinyl which is unknown to today's 25 year olds...but rather the practice of exchanging ideas on an online bulletin board

Talking about unknowns ... I am in a different age bracket but to me it remains unknown that (or why) a FORUM should be called a "bulletin board". (Yes I realize some are sentimental about that BN thing that once was, but still ...) Judging by the way exchanges take place, a forum is a forum is a forum ... (or maybe a "Message board" like the H.A.M.B. :P:D is ...) but a "bulletin" board? Everyone can place a message (on a forum, so things come full circle) but there is no place where everyone can paste up a "bulletin". The forum boss or the mods could, but the rest of ous? Nah. So ... ;)

I joined the BNBB at 27 and this board at 29. Now I'm 47. According to my log 2020 is the year I've bought the least number of CDs since the late 80s. Keeping it up with second hand vinyl, though.

It seems as if the median age of the members of this board is increasing with one year per calendar year... :rolleyes:

Edited by Daniel A

2 hours ago, Niko said:

same here, I was in my mid twenties when I joined this board... but it's been a while, so now I'm also approaching 40... re generations: it's not  so much listening to music on cd or vinyl which is unknown to today's 25 year olds...but rather the practice of exchanging ideas on an online bulletin board

Bulletin boards, forums, what have you definitely do seem like an anachronism, I'm sure, to those under 30, or maybe even under 40.  But I still find this particular forum the best and most convenient way to read and discuss jazz-related and other topics online, as opposed to Facebook and Twitter--both of which I use, especially Facebook, but which don't have neatly-divided topic areas like "Mosaic and other jazz box-sets," "Recommendations," etc.  This old house still works well for me!

27 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Bulletin boards, forums, what have you definitely do seem like an anachronism, I'm sure, to those under 30, or maybe even under 40.  

Judging by 20-something Twitter, there's a growing nostalgia towards the "idea" of a forum, as opposed to the current social media outlets.  

6 minutes ago, optatio said:

So, we're already three ... 

This is a famous recording from October 11, 1939

Wow, yes I forgot about that!

I was born a month later and I have from time to time come across recordings from Nov 39: Ammons/Johnson, Spanier, Goodman/Christian IIRC.

Edited by BillF