How old are YOU?

Dmitry

How old are YOU?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Judging by 20-something Twitter, there's a growing nostalgia towards the "idea" of a forum, as opposed to the current social media outlets.  

Next thing you know CDs will be making a comeback! :g

14 minutes ago, Matthew said:

62 here. Was in my 30's when I joined the BNBB. Strange when I think how present these two boards have been through a good chunk of my life -- kind of a touchstone.

I was 34 when I joined the BNBB. That is quite a stretch of time, you’re right. Geez, the Yankees were reigning World Series champions... that’s how long ago that was! (My Christmas gift to the legions of non-Yankee fans here. ;) 🎅)

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Or to put it another way: The year the second AFM Petrillo recording ban struck - right?

I'm a big fan of Old Time Radio shows, and for the longest time, I thought Petrillo was a made up name by Phil Harris (The Jack Benny Show and his own show). Then one day I decided to look the name up, and low-and-behold, it turns out to be a real person and a real head of the musician union.

It's amazing that the forums have been going for as long as they have. When people ask me how I know so much about jazz (and really I don't know that much), I can say that most of it comes from here. I was on the BNBB first and migrated like many folks. Still an unbelievable resource, way more than other forms of social media. I got rid of my FB and Twitter; still keep at it with instagram but nothing can touch the big-O.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

It's amazing that the forums have been going for as long as they have. When people ask me how I know so much about jazz (and really I don't know that much), I can say that most of it comes from here. I was on the BNBB first and migrated like many folks. Still an unbelievable resource, way more than other forms of social media. I got rid of my FB and Twitter; still keep at it with instagram but nothing can touch the big-O.

This board really is an incredible resource. It’s also very hard on the wallet between the new releases and seeing what others are listening to

This forum is indeed a great resource. Approximately what year did the Blue Note Bulletin Board close? I think I must have joined Organissimo after having read through the Penguin guide (8th edition) and explored some other websites like the European Free Improvisation home and the early years of the Free jazz blog.

42 minutes ago, OliverM said:

This forum is indeed a great resource. Approximately what year did the Blue Note Bulletin Board close? I think I must have joined Organissimo after having read through the Penguin guide (8th edition) and explored some other websites like the European Free Improvisation home and the early years of the Free jazz blog.

Had to have been sometime in mid to late 2003. Tom Evered who ran the BNBB was a good guy.  Does anyone know  what became of him?  Anyhow, If you go to the  Organissimo search box and enter Blue Note Bulletin Board, you'll find a wealth of information.

Edited by Dave James

57 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Had to have been sometime in mid to late 2003. Tom Evered who ran the BNBB was a good guy.  Does anyone know  what became of him?  Anyhow, If you go to the  Organissimo search box and enter Blue Note Bulletin Board, you'll find a wealth of information.

Tom occasionally posts on Facebook.

2 hours ago, Dave James said:

looking at when people like Chuck Nessa, Matthew, sidewinder, mikeweil, ghost of miles (on this page here) joined (all between March 6 and 8) it must have been early March 2003, maybe late February...