How old are YOU?

Dmitry

How old are YOU?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Tom occasionally posts on Facebook.

I wish someone had invited him here. He was a cool, level-headed guy when he ran the BNBB. A group of us members of the BNBB met with him in a bar in NYC ca. summer of 1999. If memory serves me right, it was in the Time Cafe, above the Fez club (both are fifteen years gone now) on Lafayette and Great Jones. He paid for the drinks with his corporate Blue Note card, which was very generous. Kevin, aka Bresna has a better memory than me. He surely can add some more details.  http://www.feznyc.com/index.php

The BNBB purge was in the very early March of 2003. In my recollection, the precipitating factor was the noticeable negative feedback in some threads on Norah Jones, who was the financial manna from heaven for the label. I loved going to the BNBB, it was the Wild West of both the jazz fans and musicians shooting breeze and taking no prisoners.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/12/2020 at 9:17 PM, BillF said:

Wow, yes I forgot about that!

I was born a month later and I have from time to time come across recordings from Nov 39: Ammons/Johnson, Spanier, Goodman/Christian IIRC.

On 18/12/2020 at 9:25 PM, optatio said:

Oh, I have to research what was recorded in June that year ...

Being over 80 does have certain advantages. Just had a phone call from my doctor offering a Covid vaccination tomorrow morning (agewise only over 80s qualify here at the moment). After second jab on Jan 11 will be ready again for gigs (performed by geriatric musicians of course.) ;) 

1 minute ago, BillF said:

Being over 80 does have certain advantages. Just had a phone call from my doctor offering a Covid vaccination tomorrow morning (agewise only over 80s qualify here at the moment). After second jab on Jan 11 will be ready again for gigs (performed by geriatric musicians of course.) ;) 

:tup  One of my Aunts (also in the North) has also already had jab no. 1.

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Same here! Corona vaccinations will start here on December 27. I am informed by post because I am in the 'privileged cohort' - over 80! Good luck to you!

2 hours ago, Niko said:

looking at when people like Chuck Nessa, Matthew, sidewinder, mikeweil, ghost of miles (on this page here) joined (all between March 6 and 8) it must have been early March 2003, maybe late February...

I was on the Blue Note Board but I don't remember how I found this on. Was it announced on the Blue Note Board? 

28 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I was on the Blue Note Board but I don't remember how I found this on. Was it announced on the Blue Note Board? 

No the BNBB just disappeared one day. A fairly large group came over thru almost immediate email word of mouth and then there was another group that found their way in the next ... I don't know probably six months maybe a little longer.

The BNBB tried to hold on for a while, but once they added some weird ass auto-censor filter, it took the route of assisted suicide and was gone within weeks. Before that, though, it was alive (but not well) for several months.

I see that I joined on March 6, 2003. I was Member #3 (we used to be numbers! LOL). Jim & his brother (Use 3D?) were the first two. As I recall it, once the BNBB made it's move to become a controlled label-specific propaganda tool (which of course was their right), I wasn't more than a month or tow (at most) before Jim got this site going and actually made an announcement on the BNBB (chutzpah!) that, hey, you now have options, alternatives.

At least that's how I remember it, an actual post on the BNBB. I'm not going to the mat on that one though...it might have been an email...but there was an overlap before this board started and the BNBB became Board Krypton.

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Congrats 👍 !!

50 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

That may be true but I do recall the BNBB being down entirely, like dead URL for a period of time. I want to say that Lon hipped me to this place - just checking, I came in March 7 2003.

My memory is that a lot of us maintained "dual citizenship" between the two boards for a short time, I remember making an "open/goodbye letter" post about how totally insulting their new moderation policy and gotten...and then,checking back in for a little while only to find a land of promo posts and a few what seemed to be street-teamers posting, and then one day, yeah, it was gone.

And then there was a time (I think?) when there were four open boards at the same time, the BNBB (briefly in it's newly neutered form), AAJ, and Jazz Corner.. I tried them all, but it didn't take long for this place to feel like "home" for me. Then there was the Great Day In Harlem board, but that place had some REALLY rigid moderation that killed all the fun of even going there, never mind staying there.

But let us NEVER forget the old Verve BNBB...quirky, and promo-oriented, but an interesting place from time to time. What was the guy's name...Frank? No...anybody remember that guy? He was really "one of us" in terms of attitude and vibe. What was his name again?

Either I daydreamed this once, but wasn’t there a European-based BN board for a short while? — same sort of forum-based software.

I vaguely remember it being up within a year or so after the demise of the main (old) BNBB, but perhaps it was slightly later — or even preceded the demise of the BNBB (for all I can remember).

But it didn’t last and certainly never took off.  (Or again, was this just some fever dream of mine once?)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

But let us NEVER forget the old Verve BNBB...quirky, and promo-oriented, but an interesting place from time to time. What was the guy's name...Frank? No...anybody remember that guy? He was really "one of us" in terms of attitude and vibe. What was his name again?

mark@verve :)

Yes, there was definitely an overlap between this board and the BNBB for a month or so. I seem to recall that they killed most sub-forums that didn't have anything to do with Blue Note (weird that they actually had a political forum!) but then some of us discovered that all these sub-forums were still there, if you pasted in the right URLs. 

The software was very buggy. Sometimes a thread would "break" so that posts were merged, disappeared, or that you could edit other people's posts. In these thread the mysterious poster "reg" usually appeared with totally blank posts (otherwise a post always had to contain at least one character). 

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Either I daydreamed this once, but wasn’t there a European-based BN board for a short while? — same sort of forum-based software.

I vaguely remember it being up within a year or so after the demise of the main (old) BNBB, but perhaps it was slightly later — or even preceded the demise of the BNBB (for all I can remember).

But it didn’t last and certainly never took off.  (Or again, was this just some fever dream of mine once?)

The European board appeared before the BNBB went down, but may have disappeared around the same time, or even slightly earlier. 

It was slow-moving and spam-filled, and serious questions to the label were never answered, as far as I recall. 

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Not a dream, it was real!

36 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

mark@verve :)

YES! :tup

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

My memory is that a lot of us maintained "dual citizenship" between the two boards for a short time, I remember making an "open/goodbye letter" post about how totally insulting their new moderation policy and gotten...and then,checking back in for a little while only to find a land of promo posts and a few what seemed to be street-teamers posting, and then one day, yeah, it was gone.

And then there was a time (I think?) when there were four open boards at the same time, the BNBB (briefly in it's newly neutered form), AAJ, and Jazz Corner.. I tried them all, but it didn't take long for this place to feel like "home" for me. Then there was the Great Day In Harlem board, but that place had some REALLY rigid moderation that killed all the fun of even going there, never mind staying there.

I think we bulldozed past or over an enormous part of the migration process ... AAJ.

There was an invasion. Imagine if you were a denizen of Cheers and everybody knew your name, and all of a sudden Gary's Old Town Tavern folks filled the bar to overflowing. Carla didn't have time for a wisecrack put-down. And Gary turned out to be a bit of a dick and tossed both me and Chuck out on our butts. Also, to Norm's disappointment, ferns.

My analogy has gone off the rails but you remember ... BNBB folks congregated there, didn't fit in necessarily, the owner was heavy-handed in moderation, banned me, banned Chuck, banned a few more I am sure.

That's the missing link between BNBB going dark for a period of time, and the ultimate migration here.