How old are YOU?

Dmitry

How old are YOU?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Oh man Allen did not want to read that. :(

thanks guys; we are actually waiting now for a report from what they call "the tumor board" on treatment, etc. They don't think it has spread and it appears to be related to what I had last year. We're a bit freaked out, but hoping it's manageable. I should know a lot more in the next day.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

thanks guys; we are actually waiting now for a report from what they call "the tumor board" on treatment, etc. They don't think it has spread and it appears to be related to what I had last year. We're a bit freaked out, but hoping it's manageable. I should know a lot more in the next day.

Sending good vibes your way.  Feel better soon!

4 hours ago, Justin V said:

I turned 39 in October.  When we both frequented the AAJ board, we were two of the young guys.

Oh wow, I had forgotten the AAJ board. I really loved that place and was devastated when it ceased. The whole site really took a turn. I spent countless hours at work on it back then. Haha

Long as we’re going down memory lane, I’m suddenly and distinctly remembering the endless verbal battles on the old BNBB (and some on AAJ too, iirc) — between the more open-minded listeners (many of whom migrated here)... ...and a certain few people who were absolute die-hard Wynton devotees / more musically-conservative listeners (some ‘fanatically’ so).

I honesty never knew who was who back then, but am I remembering the username “Hardbop” correctly?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Long as we’re going down memory lane, I’m suddenly and distinctly remembering the endless verbal battles on the old BNBB (and some on AAJ too, iirc) — between the more open-minded listeners (many of whom migrated here)... ...and a certain few people who were absolute die-hard Wynton devotees / more musically-conservative listeners (some ‘fanatically’ so).

I honesty never knew who was who back then, but am I remembering the username “Hardbop” correctly?

Yes, Hardbop, who often butted heads with Chris Albertson over WM. The usual pattern iirc was Hardbop jubilantly starting a thread about some Marsalis/JALC release or event (after awhile his exuberance almost seemed to have a baiting quality to it), Chris responding with a sour rebuke, and away they’d go. Also, Hardbop referred to any book he was reading or considering acquiring as a “tome.” 

5 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

Definitely keeping you in my thoughts, Allen. Btw was recently singing your praises to Ricky Riccardi, who sang them right back. A lot of profound respect out there for you.

Edited by ghost of miles

One of my favorite Blue Note Bulletin Board memories is the uproar that ensued when word got around that the announced George Braith and Don Wilkerson 2-CD Connoisseur compilations might not come to pass after all. Iirc somebody started a thread titled “WE DEMAND THE RELEASE OF THE GEORGE BRAITH AND DON WILKERSON DOUBLETIMES!!!” Up against the wall, m#%*^%*#ers! :g We were ready to march on EMI’s corporate suites, clutching CD openers in our clenched fists. ✊

Not forgetting either the ‘group purchase’ of that eBay auction of the Japanese Blue Note ‘One Night at Blue Note’ set with the Hank Mobley speech on it. Dan was Chief Instigator and purchase agent I think. :D

Not sure if that was a BNBB or Organissimo activity.

Edited by sidewinder

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Not forgetting either the ‘group purchase’ of that eBay auction of the Japanese Blue Note ‘One Night at Blue Note’ set with the Hank Mobley speech on it. Dan was Chief Instigator and purchase agent I think. :D

Not sure if that was a BNBB or Organissimo activity.

Yeah, I've been thinking of another joint-effort proposal but the cost would be higher and the interest probably lower.

I thought it was on the BNBB. Seems like an eternity ago. Big excitement on the board when the bid actually won ! I think with the numbers involved, the opposition was blown out of the water. :D

2 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Keeping my fingers crossed, good luck and all the best, Allen.

I’ll second that. All the very best !

Edited by sidewinder

15 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

All the best ....

55 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I thought it was on the BNBB. Seems like an eternity ago. Big excitement on the board when the bid actually won ! I think with the numbers involved, the opposition was blown out of the water. :D

I just remembered that I have never deleted my hotmail folder of messages from participants in the group ... It was July 2005 and I can still see when some dude calling himself Sidewinder paid. :g

box set screen shot2.jpg

Edited by Dan Gould

16 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

My fingers are crossed!

On 12/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, AllenLowe said:

Wishing you all the best Allen.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:45 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

He was massive on the BNBB, hated by many. A professional maser-troll. I ran into him (Heaney) a couple of times at gigs in NYC, where we both lived then.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/1852-the-latest-chris-hardbop-bout/

I sometimes wonder what happened with many BNBB members who are now gone elsewhere. This place isn't as much fun as it was when people were allowed to crap all over each other. Now I just smell the citrus-flavored hand sanitizer and aspercreme. 

I'm not a big FB user. What FB jazz groups do you frequent?

thanks everyone, I probably shouldn't have dropped that in the middle of this discussion but I was having a rough day. In mid-January I will have surgery to remove 2 small tumors from my nose; depending on what a scan and biopsy show, best case is that the surgery will do it; worst case is the need for surgery plus radiation (plus possibly chemo, which I am hoping does not happen as it is such a hellish experience). I will know more on December 30.