How old are YOU?

Dmitry

How old are YOU?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/22/2020 at 1:12 AM, ghost of miles said:

One of my favorite Blue Note Bulletin Board memories is the uproar that ensued when word got around that the announced George Braith and Don Wilkerson 2-CD Connoisseur compilations might not come to pass after all. Iirc somebody started a thread titled “WE DEMAND THE RELEASE OF THE GEORGE BRAITH AND DON WILKERSON DOUBLETIMES!!!” Up against the wall, m#%*^%*#ers! :g We were ready to march on EMI’s corporate suites, clutching CD openers in our clenched fists. ✊

Paul Kantner (RIP) and Grace Slick would urge you to be very proud of yourselves.

3 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

thanks everyone, I probably shouldn't have dropped that in the middle of this discussion but I was having a rough day. In mid-January I will have surgery to remove 2 small tumors from my nose; depending on what a scan and biopsy show, best case is that the surgery will do it; worst case is the need for surgery plus radiation (plus possibly chemo, which I am hoping does not happen as it is such a hellish experience). I will know more on December 30.

Allen, grace and blessings to you.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

On 18/12/2020 at 9:25 PM, optatio said:

Oh, I have to research what was recorded in June that year ...

What have you found in your researches, Optatio?

In my current reading, a Buddy Rich biography, I find that Buddy cut four sides with Artie Shaw's Orchestra on 24th Nov 1939, just five days after I was born. Less to my taste, mind you, than the Ammons/Johnson, Spanier and Goodman/Christian dates I mentioned before.

"Jazz Milestones" by Ken Vail is anyone's friend here. ;) Though of course it only presents a selection of "milestone" dates, artists and recordings.

For November, 1939, it lists sessions by Mildred Bailey on 30 Nov., Eddie Condon's Chicagoans on 30 Nov., Duke Ellington duets with Jimmy Blanton on 22 Nov. (!!), Benny Goodman Sextet on 22 and 27 Nov.,  Harry James on 30 Nov., Andy Kirk on 15 Nov., Gene Krupa on 2 Nov., Muggsy Spanier's Ragtime Band on 10 and 22 Nov., FAts Waller on 3 Nov. and Lee Wiley on 13 and 15 Nov.
And no doubt there must have been more going on in the studios that month.

June 1939 had Louis Armstrong's orchestra on 15 June, Mildred Bailey on 14 and 27 June, Sidney Bechet Quintet on 8 June, Ella Fitzgerald on 28 June, J.C. Hhigginbotham Quintet on 8 June, Johnny Hodges' spinoff of the Ellington band on 2 June, Pete Johnson & Joe Turner on 30 June, Wingy Manone on 19 June, frankie Newton on 8 June, Fats Waller on 13 and 28 June, and Cootie WIlliams & His Rug Cutters on 22 June.

And so on ... ^_^

1 hour ago, BillF said:

What have you found in your researches, Optatio?

In my current reading, a Buddy Rich biography, I find that Buddy cut four sides with Artie Shaw's Orchestra on 24th Nov 1939, just five days after I was born. Less to my taste, mind you, than the Ammons/Johnson, Spanier and Goodman/Christian dates I mentioned before.

Artie Shaw has recorded in Hollywood "I Poured My Heart Into a Song" on June 5, 1939 - I was two days old ... :) 

Source: https://www.discogs.com/de/Artie-Shaw-And-His-Orchestra-One-Night-Stand/release/3517343 ;) - on my shelf!

Edited by optatio

1 hour ago, optatio said:

Artie Shaw has recorded in Hollywood "I Poured My Heart Into a Song" on June 5, 1939 - I was two days old ... :) 

Source: https://www.discogs.com/de/Artie-Shaw-And-His-Orchestra-One-Night-Stand/release/3517343 ;) - on my shelf!

Being more interested in the boogie woogie duos of Ammons and Johnson, the Spanier dixieland revival and the Goodman small groups with Christian, I had forgotten the extent to which the scene at the time of my birth was dominated by the big bands. This section of the Rich biography is largely the story of the big bands of Bunny Berigan, Artie Shaw and Tommy Dorsey, with frequent mention of Gene Krupa, Benny Goodman and Harry James. Black bands of Basie, Chick Webb and Louis Armstrong also loom large, reminding me that there's been recent discussion on the board of a book dealing with those years in Armstrong's career.

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

"Jazz Milestones" by Ken Vail is anyone's friend here. ;) Though of course it only presents a selection of "milestone" dates, artists and recordings.

For November, 1939, it lists sessions by Mildred Bailey on 30 Nov., Eddie Condon's Chicagoans on 30 Nov., Duke Ellington duets with Jimmy Blanton on 22 Nov. (!!), Benny Goodman Sextet on 22 and 27 Nov.,  Harry James on 30 Nov., Andy Kirk on 15 Nov., Gene Krupa on 2 Nov., Muggsy Spanier's Ragtime Band on 10 and 22 Nov., FAts Waller on 3 Nov. and Lee Wiley on 13 and 15 Nov.

June 1939 had Louis Armstrong's orchestra on 15 June, Mildred Bailey on 14 and 27 June, Sidney Bechet Quintet on 8 June, Ella Fitzgerald on 28 June, J.C. Hhigginbotham Quintet on 8 June, Johnny Hodges' spinoff of the Ellington band on 2 June, Pete Johnson & Joe Turner on 30 June, Wingy Manone on 19 June, frankie Newton on 8 June, Fats Waller on 13 and 28 June, and Cootie WIlliams & His Rug Cutters on 22 June.

And so on ... ^_^

Ah, yes! The great Ellington/Blanton sides! I'd forgotten about them!

Join the party, Steve. What was happening in the recording studios when you first saw the light of day? :)

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

And so on ... ^_^

Lot of activity on 22nd Nov: Ellington/Blanton, Goodman/Christian, Spanier, but nothing on my birthday 19th.

Of course, it was a Sunday and I guess studios would have been closed. Am I right, or was the Lord's Day not scrupulously observed in those circles in those days?

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Join the party, Steve. What was happening in the recording studios when you first saw the light of day? :)

Well, if you insist ...^_^
So I rechecked:
The Al Cohn/Zoot Sims album "You'n'Me" was recorded just before I was born.
The Curtis Fuller album "Images" was recorded just after I was born.
Some of the tunes for the Johnny Griffin "The Big Soul Band" album were recorded the day before i was born.
Lem Winchester's "Another Opus" was recorded on the day I was born.

And - sorry to say because this is NOT quite my cup of tea jazz-wise - the MJQ album "With Symphony Orchestra" was recorded on the day I was born and on the day before. And to make matters "worse", it actually was recorded in my hometown. :lol:

I have the You'n'Me LP but think I now will have to get the Lem Winchester album too. ^_^

4 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Well, if you insist ...^_^
So I rechecked:
The Al Cohn/Zoot Sims album "You'n'Me" was recorded just before I was born.
The Curtis Fuller album "Images" was recorded just after I was born.
Some of the tunes for the Johnny Griffin "The Big Soul Band" album were recorded the day before i was born.
Lem Winchester's "Another Opus" was recorded on the day I was born.

And - sorry to say because this is NOT quite my cup of tea jazz-wise - the MJQ album "With Symphony Orchestra" was recorded on the day I was born and on the day before. And to make matters "worse", it actually was recorded in my hometown. :lol:

I have the You'n'Me LP but think I now will have to get the Lem Winchester album too. ^_^

Now listening to the Winchester album for the first time. Nice!

The Al/Zoot album has long been an all-time favourite and I know and like the Griffin.

Of course, I now expect you to listen in return to some Albert Ammons/Pete Johnson boogie piano duets! :excited:

Just now, BillF said:

Of course, I now expect you to listen in return to some Albert Ammons/Pete Johnson boogie piano duets! :excited:

Will be happy to oblige ... I am fairly well-stocked with these, including duets and trios.
But on checking now I somehow am not sure which duets exactly you are referring to. Those I can locate in the discographies are dated September/October (Hotel Sherman) but not November. What did I miss or overlook?

Just now, Big Beat Steve said:

Will be happy to oblige ... I am fairly well-stocked with these, including duets and trios.
But on checking now I somehow am not sure which duets exactly you are referring to. Those I can locate in the discographies are dated September/October (Hotel Sherman) but not November. What did I miss or overlook?

Perhaps I'm not quite so accurate! I'm sure Sept/Oct will do.