Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

Separate(!) email, they break it down like this:

You saved $6.48 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the following item decreased after you ordered, and we gave you the lowest price.

The Complete Live At The Lighthouse [8 CD Box Set]
Price on order date:   $76.86
Price charged at shipping:   $71.99
Lowest price before release date:   $70.50
Amount to be refunded:   $1.49 (+ $0.12 tax)
Quantity:   1
Total Savings:   $6.48

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to quite a bit of the new extended issue today streaming on Spotify. Impressed with just how strong much of the previously unissued tracks are. The sound obviously cleaned up quite a bit too, bags of presence. This set now reminds me a bit of the Miles ‘Plugged Nickel’ being a warts and all in depth examination of a band at its prime presented over several nights. Can’t wait to hear this now on physical media !

Edited by sidewinder

I never understood why people weren't more pumped for this release. Yes, it was going to be repetitive. So is the Miles Plugged Nickel set. Lee Morgan for me is second only to Miles Davis as far as jazz trumpeters go. Previously unreleased high-quality recordings put out in an affordable CD box set? Yes please. I've gotten through the first two discs and it's fantastic. 

So, where’s the best deal currently available on the CD edition?

Maybe I’ll succumb to the temptation. I’m trying not to, but my resolve might not be strong enough. I’m legitimately wavering though, and there is a legit part of me that keeps trying to say the 3cd edition is plenty.

40 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

So, where’s the best deal currently available on the CD edition?

Maybe I’ll succumb to the temptation. I’m trying not to, but my resolve might not be strong enough. I’m legitimately wavering though, and there is a legit part of me that keeps trying to say the 3cd edition is plenty.

I'm in the same situation. "Three CDs worth is enough" vs."The Art Pepper Vanguard box has 1 add'l CD, at least as much repetition, but is awesome and one of my favorite box sets".

Haven't checked prices for a few days, but felser mentioned importcds (far) above, and that's the first site I'll visit on the next pricing run.

17 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I'm in the same situation. "Three CDs worth is enough" vs."The Art Pepper Vanguard box has 1 add'l CD, at least as much repetition, but is awesome and one of my favorite box sets".

Haven't checked prices for a few days, but felser mentioned importcds (far) above, and that's the first site I'll visit on the next pricing run.

Importcd's still at $59.52 + $2.99 shipping.  Amazon still at $71.99 .

1 hour ago, Face of the Bass said:

I never understood why people weren't more pumped for this release. Yes, it was going to be repetitive. So is the Miles Plugged Nickel set. Lee Morgan for me is second only to Miles Davis as far as jazz trumpeters go. Previously unreleased high-quality recordings put out in an affordable CD box set? Yes please. I've gotten through the first two discs and it's fantastic. 

Because it's 50 years old now. Because I pretty much already know what it's all going to be, even if that is indeed great. Because it looked like  it was going to be another exploitative LP Con Job. Because a lot of music has come into my head in the (how many ever) years it's been since Plugged Nickel was a REAL mindfuck of a livebox set. Because, as much as this type of stuff is tattooed onto me very being, I'm not needing to get the old tattoos freshened up again. I got SO much stuff on tap that is either brand new or still mew-ish, I was really, all, let the kids take care of this business, it will be fun for them and their turntables. Me, been there, done that. More than a few times 

But - there ended up being a very reasonably priced CD edition. And most morely important, David Weiss promised plenty of nice new pictures.

When I finally get around to opening it up, there better had be!

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Because it's 50 years old now. Because I pretty much already know what it's all going to be, even if that is indeed great. Because it looked like  it was going to be another exploitative LP Con Job. Because a lot of music has come into my head in the (how many ever) years it's been since Plugged Nickel was a REAL mindfuck of a livebox set. Because, as much as this type of stuff is tattooed onto me very being, I'm not needing to get the old tattoos freshened up again. I got SO much stuff on tap that is either brand new or still mew-ish, I was really, all, let the kids take care of this business, it will be fun for them and their turntables. Me, been there, done that. More than a few times 

But - there ended up being a very reasonably priced CD edition. And most morely important, David Weiss promised plenty of nice new pictures.

When I finally get around to opening it up, there better had be!

To my ears so far this set is the best new archival jazz release in years. 

It has the lots of good pictures too, right? David Weiss promised that it would, right here on this board.

I do think there might be a degree of hesitancy because of the previous 3 CD set, that had a "wow" factor then. People are probably wondering, well, if it's all so good, why didn't they do THIS back then? Fair question, and obvious answers. And the whole VINYL!!!! angle was very off-putting, imo. The CD option was not put out there right away, nor was the price point.

But hell, it was a great band, on fire for sure. No reason to avoid it, even if the immediate WOW factor has weakened over time and because of circumstances. I wanted to make sure that I got it to have on hand when the time came to get into it. That time is forthcoming, but it is not immediate. Same thing with the Mingus Bremen set, had to have it, got it right away, preordered, but didn't crak it open until last week. GREAT music there, too, but...no sense of urgency to hear it RIGHT NOW for me. just...soon enough.

Having said that...if you like the LP iteration and haven't fully immersed in the 3CD set, then there's no reason not to get this right away. This was a band to reckon with, for sure.

I'm a third or so of the way through this set. The booklet is quite interesting containing reminiscences from DeJohnette, a lengthy interview with Jymie Merritt that is educational, pieces by the reissue team, info about the venue and the life of this Quintet, pieces about Mabern and Roker, a piece by Maupin, a bit about the recording and mastering, etc. Lots of neat photos of Mogie and the band members.

The sound of the cd version is very good imo. The notes mention an extensive remix and it does not share the same sonic signature as the previous releases--a bit more forward, a bit less thick sounding, lively and with great instrumental separation and a nice realistic tonal balance.

I'm very happy to have this. I ordered the UHQCD version from Japan in part because I collect Japanese Blue Note editions and also so that I can give this version to my best friend for Christmas who won't buy it himself even though he's a trumpeter and a Morgan fan.

Edited by jazzbo

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

It has the lots of good pictures too, right? David Weiss promised that it would, right here on this board.

I do think there might be a degree of hesitancy because of the previous 3 CD set, that had a "wow" factor then. People are probably wondering, well, if it's all so good, why didn't they do THIS back then? Fair question, and obvious answers. And the whole VINYL!!!! angle was very off-putting, imo. The CD option was not put out there right away, nor was the price point.

But hell, it was a great band, on fire for sure. No reason to avoid it, even if the immediate WOW factor has weakened over time and because of circumstances. I wanted to make sure that I got it to have on hand when the time came to get into it. That time is forthcoming, but it is not immediate. Same thing with the Mingus Bremen set, had to have it, got it right away, preordered, but didn't crak it open until last week. GREAT music there, too, but...no sense of urgency to hear it RIGHT NOW for me. just...soon enough.

Having said that...if you like the LP iteration and haven't fully immersed in the 3CD set, then there's no reason not to get this right away. This was a band to reckon with, for sure.

I'd like to hear it because IMO the original CD set sounded like crap (for that reason I seldom listen to it), but I'm not curious enough to buy this music in this form. David Weiss has weighed in here about how it was mixed per Bob Belden's tastes versus how Weiss feels it could/should have been mixed, but I think it's likely that recording engineer Dino Lappas  either was not what he should have been  or he was presented at the Lighthouse with various restrictions/problems that made his job very difficult and the resulting sonic material close to irreparable, regardless of how it's mixed. I'd be happy to be wrong.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Lots of neat photos of Mogie and the band members.

David Weiss, a man of his word!!!!

On a more serious not, I think Blue Note maybe screwed the pooch on this one by leading with the LP Set angle and not making it clear that there was also going to be a CD version. That price tag for the LP set...I mean...if the want old fucks like us to get excited about the content of a product, it might help to have "folks like us" get totally put off by the format, you know? We can help build that buzz becuase we already know this shit, ok? People you're trying to build a buzz with about a 50 Bajillion Dollar LP product for somebody they probably know of by reputation and/or old people talk,,...good luck on that.

Now David Weiss will probably come in and say hey, the LP set is sold out already, weve got CD inventory to last until the end of the decade and beyond. :g

7 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

..I think it's likely that recording engineer Dino Lappas  either was not what he should have been  or was presented at the Lighthouse with various restrictions/problems that made the job very difficult and the resulting sonic material close to irreparable.

He also did the Grant Green & Elvin Jones Lighthouse records, but on those he is also credited with remixing as well as recording. Perhaps relevantly, those are also George Butler productions whereas the Morgan side was Francis Wolff's baby.

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I'm a third or so of the way through this set. The booklet is quite interesting containing reminiscences from DeJohnette, a lengthy interview with Jymie Merritt that is educational, pieces by the reissue team, info about the venue and the life of this Quintet, pieces about Mabern and Roker, a piece by Maupin, a bit about the recording and mastering, etc. Lots of neat photos of Mogie and the band members.

The sound of the cd version is very good imo. The notes mention an extensive remix and it does not share the same sonic signature as the previous releases--a bit more forward, a bit less thick sounding, lively and with great instrumental separation and a nice realistic tonal balance.

I'm very happy to have this. I ordered the UHQCD version from Japan in part because I collect Japanese Blue Note editions and also so that I can give this version to my best friend for Christmas who won't buy it himself even though he's a trumpeter and a Morgan fan.

Thanks for the first impression, Lon. Mine should arrive this week. Really looking forward to it!

On 22/08/2021 at 4:22 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Don’t think this’s been posted here yet —a 46-min podcast solely about the new, expanded box. Just now listening…

https://www.wbgo.org/season-2/2021-08-13/lee-morgans-most-dynamic-band-is-revealed-in-full-on-a-staggering-new-boxed-set

Worth a listen !

7 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I'd like to hear it because IMO the original CD set sounded like crap (for that reason I seldom listen to it), but I'm not curious enough to buy this music in this form. David Weiss has weighed in here about how it was mixed per Bob Belden's tastes versus how Weiss feels it could/should have been mixed, but I think it's likely that recording engineer Dino Lappas  either was not what he should have been  or he was presented at the Lighthouse with various restrictions/problems that made his job very difficult and the resulting sonic material close to irreparable, regardless of how it's mixed. I'd be happy to be wrong.

One thing I noticed after visiting the Lighthouse in more recent times was the old wooden band platform. Assuming it was the same one (and I have no reason to doubt that it wasn’t) there was a noticeable boominess. Nothing excessive but it was a sound characteristic that I noticed as familiar from recordings. I think they have also reoriented that stage from its position in the space that it would have been in 1970.

The club was probably also packed out right through the engagement and I guess Dino and his 4-track must have been squeezed into a booth somewhere less than optimum. Indeed the audio mentions ‘The man in the booth’ at some point.

Morgan also refers to ‘Duke’ in one of his announcements so presumably Duke Pearson had also been flown over to supervise proceedings?

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Worth a listen !

I did end up listening to the whole thing, and it was pretty good — but it was two guys jawbonin’ about this and that for ~35 minutes. All related to Lee and the set, and about Bennie Maupin. And they did try and elaborate about stuff drawn from the new liners — but anything they added seemed like fuzzy conjecture, or stuff I knew from here on the board, or from I Called Him Morgan. Not uneducated conjecture, but I wouldn’t say it was appointment-listening or anything.

But I certainly didn’t mind that I’d taken the time to hear it.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Although I have the 3cd set and haven't given it a spin a long time, this was a must-have in my view for a few reasons. I have a serious doubt that we're ever going to see (I know ever is a long time) much more unreleased Lee Morgan period, much less Blue note released. That was good enough for me. I just haven't gotten my boxed set yet from Importcds. Should arrive in the next few days. Looking forward to it, even if I do have some of it and there's repetition. Thanks for the updates on those who've received it already. 

Another satisfied customer. I received my copy on Friday but didn't get around till yesterday to do any type of serious listening. Four discs in and I'm really loving it. Great performances in excellent sound quality in my opinion. I believe those who made the purchase are going to be quite happy with this.

i went with the free on phone version- the whole point of this is now to listen to it set by set- looking fwd to hearing em all

BUT WHERES CEORA?  once again ceora gets shafted, the discog says they have a partial take but thats not on the box, no? 

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez